What makes TS3650 superior?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What makes TS3650 superior?

I was down at Home Depot last night to buy the TS2400LS, then got cold feet, as the TS3650 was sitting right there, for a mere $63 more. My wife insisted I buy the right tool to begin with. From a dollars and cents point of view, the TS3650 is the obvious choice, from all that I have read here. But just is it about the TS3650 that makes it superior over the TS2400LS? The table is bigger, but I will have my sheets cut down at HD before I get home, so no 4 x 8s on the saw at home. I may need to rip an long lengths of narrower lumber. The TS3650 is quieter, has a cast iron table (benefit?), and larger rip capacity, better switch position, and weight (stability, but how much of benefit), but anything else? Is it more accurate than the TS2400LS, or? Before I bring this behemoth home, I want to be sure the benefits it brings over the TS2400LS are something I will use. I have never used a tablesaw, and want to make the right decision.

Thanks,

- Phil

Re: What makes TS3650 superior?

You've already answered your own question and pointed out many of the reasons why the 3650/60 is superior to the 2400/10. For only $63 more, I would rather regret sometime down the road that I may have bought more of a saw than I need than the other way around.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

It is easier to go the other way. The benefits of the 2400 over the 3650.

1. The 2400 is a mobile jobsite saw, so if you need a saw to move from site to site, this is the one to get
      2. The 2400 takes up less space, as it is smaller size and doesn't have the motor hanging off the back.

Thats it, the 3650 has every other advantage over the 2400.

Jeff

Comment

when set up with a router insert, its an impresive machine

§m€llŸ™

Comment

Have never used the TS2400LS but have the 3650 and love it.
          Depending on how accurate you want your cuts, that extra weight can help cut down vibration. And feels very comfortable knowing how stable it feels underneath me. The bigger table may come in handier than you think holding wood in place. That being said, it does take up some room, and if you don't plan on using it much, well... On the other hand do you really want to hear your wife say to you down the road, "I TOLD you to get the right tool in the first place!!!!"

Comment

Originally posted by OpaDC View Post
            Have never used the TS2400LS but have the 3650 and love it.
            Depending on how accurate you want your cuts, that extra weight can help cut down vibration. And feels very comfortable knowing how stable it feels underneath me. The bigger table may come in handier than you think holding wood in place. That being said, it does take up some room, and if you don't plan on using it much, well... On the other hand do you really want to hear your wife say to you down the road, "I TOLD you to get the right tool in the first place!!!!"
            You're right. My wife might say that. But, I don't want big space consumed, and find myself looking at hybrid saws. I can afford it, but the TS3650 offers more performance than I will probably ever need, and while I can appreciate the superior performance of the hybrid, buying it primarily because of a smaller footprint does not seem to make sense.

I am looking at having a workshop built in the backyard, to house a TS3650 and other stuff, but a smaller saw could help from a space point of view. Still, I think I can work around it.

Now, how to get this thing in and out of an SUV!

- Phil

Comment

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post
              You're right. My wife might say that. But, I don't want big space consumed, and find myself looking at hybrid saws. I can afford it, but the TS3650 offers more performance than I will probably ever need, and while I can appreciate the superior performance of the hybrid, buying it primarily because of a smaller footprint does not seem to make sense.

I am looking at having a workshop built in the backyard, to house a TS3650 and other stuff, but a smaller saw could help from a space point of view. Still, I think I can work around it.

- Phil
              It isn't hard at all. I put mine in the back of a Mazda 3 hatchback. In is easy: the Home Depot tool guys help. Out was a bit harder. I had my FIL help, but could do it even with out him. You can lift it up by the strap to get it over the "lip" on your trunk. Then you can pull it out and set it on its end on top of a hand truck (so the end is on the hand truck). Then tie it to the hand truck, and lie it down. You can now roll it around easily. This is better if you have it in your car upside down. That was how it was in my car (not on purpose), and it actually helped. You don't want to unpack it upside down. If worst comes to worse you can just unpack it in pieces. When you remove the motor, wings, and main assembly the rest will be easy to carry. Each of those three parts is not a problem by yourself.

Comment

Did I mention that a hand truck was a saw "accessory" that I bought with the saw.

Comment

Best thing to do, if space is an issue, is to draw your workshop and the tools you want/have to scale. Now you can see what will fit and where. I can fit a 3650 in my shop but have to lose a workbench. For the amount of woodworking I do now the 2400 is a better fit. There are some other 3650 like TS out there with a somewhat smaller footprint but you do lose ripping capacity. The 3650 is still a hard value to beat.

Comment

The portables are plenty capable of cutting wood, but aside from portability and price, the full size cast iron saws (contractor, hybrid, industrial cabinet saws) have all the advantages. More mass makes them more stable and safer, the larger surface is much nicer to work on and is safer, there's more area in front of the blade (safer), cast iron is smoother, the motors are quieter, the belt drive has less vibration than direct drive, and they tend to have better long term reliability and resale value. If space is a concern, I'd definitely investigate a hybrid, which is really a step up before automatically settling on a portable, which is a step down in saw class.

Comment

Keep in mind that the larger table surface of the 3650 gives you a nice flat surface to work on. I do a lot of assembly on the 3650 top simply because it's a nice, wide, flat surface. Eventually, I'm going to add a table extension on the empty side just to give me more work surface. When I'm using the cast iron surface for assembly, I cover it with either plywood or cardboard (cover the cardboard with plastic if doing glue-ups) to protect it.
                      I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Originally posted by VASandy View Post
                        Keep in mind that the larger table surface of the 3650 gives you a nice flat surface to work on. I do a lot of assembly on the 3650 top simply because it's a nice, wide, flat surface. Eventually, I'm going to add a table extension on the empty side just to give me more work surface. When I'm using the cast iron surface for assembly, I cover it with either plywood or cardboard (cover the cardboard with plastic if doing glue-ups) to protect it.
                        Forgot all about this. I too use the top for other things. Also plan on mounting a router extension on it.

Originally posted by Phil3 View Post

- Phil
                        Hey, got mine home in my old Jeep Wrangler. Guys at HD put it in for me and it only stuck out back a little. Took it out by myself by removing the top layer of iron and stuff, tipping the box with the rest out then walking it into garage.
                        p.s. You should see the looks my wife and I get bringing stuff home in the Jeep, especially when it was palm trees. Slapped us silly all the way home. And considering we both over 50, well, you get the picture.

Comment

I've had the TS2400 for about 4 years and decided to get the TS3650 last summer when they were on sale and I had acquired a 20%-off coupon.

I originally bought the TS2400 when my wife insisted that we be able to park both cars in the garage. The TS3650 had been about 6" too wide to not pinstripe one of the cars. We've collected enough garage-resident stuff that two cars is no longer an option. The TS2400 can be accurate if adjusted carefully, and has the same table flatness issues as many saws. I went through several to find an acceptably flat table. Ridgid does consider the TS2400 a "woodworking" saw and not a "construction" saw, meaning, for instance, the table slots are within 0.001" of parallel and other tolerances are similarly tight. It holds its adjustments well. The stand is not as vertically stable as I'd like as it sags a little at the wheel end under weight, which is annoying if you've set up tables around it for in-feed and out-feed.

I bought the TS3650 because the table on the TS2400 is smaller than I'd like, the ripping capacity is okay but inconvenient, it won't take attachments well because of the sliding mechanism to expand it, and it is very noisy. I like the TS2400 enough that I've decided to keep it but I don't know when I'll use it. Since the TS3650 rolls very easily, I can push it to the side of the garage and use it as a work surface when not cutting. I can bolt in-feed and out-fed supports to it so setup takes a lot less time.

If you don't require the portability and you have the space, I'd recommend the TS3650.

Comment

Originally posted by gwshaw View Post
                            I've had the TS2400 for about 4 years and decided to get the TS3650 last summer when they were on sale and I had acquired a 20%-off coupon.

I originally bought the TS2400 when my wife insisted that we be able to park both cars in the garage. The TS3650 had been about 6" too wide to not pinstripe one of the cars. We've collected enough garage-resident stuff that two cars is no longer an option. The TS2400 can be accurate if adjusted carefully, and has the same table flatness issues as many saws. I went through several to find an acceptably flat table. Ridgid does consider the TS2400 a "woodworking" saw and not a "construction" saw, meaning, for instance, the table slots are within 0.001" of parallel and other tolerances are similarly tight. It holds its adjustments well. The stand is not as vertically stable as I'd like as it sags a little at the wheel end under weight, which is annoying if you've set up tables around it for in-feed and out-feed.

I bought the TS3650 because the table on the TS2400 is smaller than I'd like, the ripping capacity is okay but inconvenient, it won't take attachments well because of the sliding mechanism to expand it, and it is very noisy. I like the TS2400 enough that I've decided to keep it but I don't know when I'll use it. Since the TS3650 rolls very easily, I can push it to the side of the garage and use it as a work surface when not cutting. I can bolt in-feed and out-fed supports to it so setup takes a lot less time.

If you don't require the portability and you have the space, I'd recommend the TS3650.
                            Thanks much. I was at another Home Depot and for the first time, I saw a TS3650 in the flesh, even if it was on a 5' high shelf without fences or motor attached. It actually is not as big as I thought it might be. And I can just fit it in the garage and still get both cars in. But, the motorcycle would be displaced, so until that hobby goes, guess the car is still outside.

I've no idea how interested I will ultimately be in woodworking, but it seems to me that the TS3650 at only $63 more, offering a more pleasurable introduction to woodworking, and likely to hold a greater percentage of resale value than the TS2400LS (from what I have heard), is a smart move, especially if space considerations are satisfied.

Thanks for your perspective.

- Phil

Comment

Well, I was all set to get the TS2400 and I went to get it today but ended up with TS3650 for few dollars more. Actually I couldn’t pass up the deal $375.00 but here’s why I talked myself out of TS2400.

Rip capacity 36 inches vs. 25.
                              Ability to use a large crosscut sled.
                              Upgradeable fence if I ever decide.
                              Blade to front distance.

Although for the money you can’t beat the TS2400, but if you decide you will need the other obvious features in the long run and have the space then might as well go with the bigger saw.

Comment

Working...
                              X