Hose for compressor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hose for compressor

Just bought the 5 gallon aluminum Ridgid compressor at HD. Low and behold it doesn't include an air hose. HD has a Ridgid 50' 1/4 inch rubber air hose for $39.99. Seems like a good deal but my question is this: Should I get a 3/8" hose if I will be using a floor stapler with the compressor or will the 1?4" be sufficient? The stapler needs 80 to 90 PSI to operate.

Re: Hose for compressor

1/4" will be fine for what you want to do, but why not get the 3/8"? Right now, Harbor Freight has the Goodyear 50 ft. x 3/8" rubber hose on sale for $17.99. Item# 2167. I got this on sale a long time ago. It's a genuine Goodyear hose and a very good deal.
    Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

I personally don't like the rubber hoses. I prefer the 1/4" polyurethane hoses. They are light weight, translucent (to see any obstructions), and are equally as pliable in cold weather as it is in warm. Not that you would need it but the poly hose is also rated up to 250 PSI. No doubt the rubber is cheaper but I would rather pay more for the benefits of the poly. Just my opinion.
      Last edited by mheriot; 03-27-2008, 12:44 PM.

Comment

I think unless there is need for a 3/8" hose the 1/4" would be better. Tugging around a bulky 3/8" hose is more inconvenient if the air requirement doesn't need anything bigger than 1/4". The stapler will run fine with a 1/4" hose.

Comment

I was in a Big R store today and noted that their PVC rated at 300lb, may be that's just some marketing schema.. Their 50ft is just $15 (with "fiber enforced").

I was tempted but I don't got to use my compressor enough to upgrade the cheapo coiled-hose anyway..

Originally posted by mheriot View Post
          I personally don't like the rubber hoses. I prefer the 1/4" polyurethane hoses. They are light weight, translucent (to see any obstructions), and are equally as liable in cold weather as it is in warm. Not that you would need it but the poly hose is also rated up to 250 PSI. No doubt the rubber is cheaper but I would rather pay more for the benefits of the poly. Just my opinion.

Comment

I don't like rubber hoses - too heavy and they scuff up customers' walls. I prefer 1/4" polyurethane hose.

Comment

Alrighty, I guess I stand corrected. See what happens when you let a rookie in here? :

My first mistake was buying a PVC hose (the hose manufacturer's practical joke on the weekend idiot), so when I got the rubber one, I thought I was in heaven.
              Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

The Ridgid hose is a good buy when you factor in that it comes with push in fittings and is ready to go out of the plastic. If there is a break or tear in the line the fittings push right in and you're still going. I do have a good rubber hose, but it fights me sometimes at roll up time and storage. Had a cheaper one and the fittings broke right at the threaded connector. Both of these things I factored into my hose purchase and I ain't fighting them no more.

Comment

Just picked up a 50' poly hose from Costco yesterday, for 12.99. When checking out the cashier said a whole ton of people have started buying that hose. Im guessing contractors, but for 13 bux you cant go wrong no matter how ya are

This is my first poly hose, and Im this --><-- close to buying 2 or 3 more to replace my rubber hoses. Not even talking about the weight, just the sheer storage area saved by how thin it is is worth the price of admission. Ill put my rubber hoses out in the garage.

Comment

Working...
                  X