X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 14.v impact chuck stuck.

hi i read the forums much and i like the ridgid brand alot, ive most of my tools in the ridgid name. question is, i bought a ridgid 14.4v impact driver last year and have not used it much because the chuck is stuck, i cannot get the bit out. it was the first bit i put in it last summer but the problem is i lost the receipt for it and when i took it too the store they said i needed to send it to a repair shop to get it fixed. but now that they are quite significantly cheaper i cant see it worth going to the repair shop as it may cost the price of a new one. i took the chuck part apart but cant get the bit out. any Advice?. rob from Toronto.

Re: 14.v impact chuck stuck.

I had the same thing happen with an 18V impact. I was fortunate it was less than a month old, and they did a customer service desk swap for a new one....

I tried with no luck to free it, id be curious if you get any replies on how to free it. Good luck

Comment

All snap ring chucks are prone to locking up from dirt, rust jamming up the mechanism. Try spraying some penetrating oil and tapping the collar, combination of the oil and vibration might free it up.

Comment

check this out.

http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/sho...+driver+repair

make sure the tool is registered and the repair shouldn't cost you a thing.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

I have had this problem with certain brands of bits, try clamping the bit in a vice and run the driver in reverse slowly while holding the release open and pulling up. I find the some bits rotate slightly in the chuck and jam.

Comment

yeah, i didn't register the tool and cannot find the receipt,my fault, but its brand new, the first bit i put in it got stuck so its useless now. i will try all your suggestions though and thanks for the advice.

Comment

Originally posted by rpto View Post
              yeah, i didn't register the tool and cannot find the receipt,my fault, but its brand new, the first bit i put in it got stuck so its useless now. i will try all your suggestions though and thanks for the advice.
              Please post your results, thanks.

Comment

so i tried what wbrooks said and that was to clamp it in a vise and reverse it,this worked. although i took the whole thing apart previous to his suggestion. it was interesting to see how basic the inner workings of the driver was, and now that it works again its great,the battery is abit short on time though.i also heard they were discontinuing the impact line?, i hope not because if they make a 18 or 24 v impact driver im buying it. any confirmation on this?.thanks for all your suggestions.

Comment

the max select line has a dual voltage (18/24) impact driver that develops about 70 inch pounds more torque than your 14.4 driver. it doesn't appear that ridgid is making an 18 or 24 volt impact driver kit (driver, battery and charger) at present. like you, i enjoy my 14.4 driver. got 3 of them and gave a fourth to one of my sons.
                  there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

Comment

RPTO,

Even without registering the tool, you should still be covered by the 3-year warranty. The serial number/ID has a date code for manufacturing date and without the receipt that should be a guide for the service center I think. Call Ridgid customer support for their advice and assistance.

However, I was told by Home Depot HQ that they keep a database of all receipts. If you can pin down the exact date of your purchase (credit card slip perhaps?) and the store number (every HD has one), they can get you a receipt. It doesn't matter how long ago you made your purchase!

With the exact date and store number, ask the service desk to help you. If they don't know about this... call the Atlanta, Ga headquarters office and they should direct you.

CWS

Comment

CW, I think you can only get a copy of your old receipt if you purchased the tool with a credit card (possibly debit card too). Without the credit card, there is no way to track the purchase to 'you'.

Comment

so i tried what wbrooks said and that was to clamp it in a vise and reverse it,this worked. although i took the whole thing apart previous to his suggestion. it was interesting to see how basic the inner workings of the driver was, and now that it works again its great,the battery is abit short on time though.i also heard they were discontinuing the impact line?, i hope not because if they make a 18 or 24 v impact driver im buying it. any confirmation on this?.thanks for all your suggestions.
                        We have several of the Ridgid impact drivers in our company including a couple 14.4V, an 18V, and a couple MaxSelect which I have used extensively on 18 and 24V. The 14.4V impact driver is easily the best performer. My guess is that the superior performance is related to the much higher RPM rate. When driving 3-4 inch deck screws the 14.4 has the screw driven while the MaxSelect is rattling away and taking much longer. I sent an email to Customer service asking why and they advised that Ridgid does not divulge engineering issues to the public or customers.
                        The 14.4 was so clearly superior to the MaxSelect on either 18 or 24V that I returned the MaxSelect and received a new one. The new one still had lower capability than the 14.4V.
                        If you currently have a 14.4V impact you have the best performer. Don't expect the 18 or the MaxSelect to be an improvement....Ray

Comment

i just got a hitachi 18v for work, its good but, i find the 14 v ridgid better and faster at driving 3" screws but the only problem is that its battery dies quick, thats why i inquired about a possible 18v or 24v ridgid.

Comment

My experience of "Quick Chucks" regardless of whether American or European, (Let's forget Chinese) is that for demanding work, one has to be carefull to tighten the chuck quite seriously. This applies espescially to hole saws etc. Any "Quick Chuck" tightened "on the fly" will jam! If this is a reccuring problem, then I would (dare to) suggest changing to a key chuck.

Comment

i just got a hitachi 18v for work, its good but, i find the 14 v ridgid better and faster at driving 3" screws but the only problem is that its battery dies quick, thats why i inquired about a possible 18v or 24v ridgid.
                              rpto......There are at least two 14.4V batt sizes. We get pretty good life out of the Max 2.5AH however on a heavy use day we will need at least two batts. We have an extra Max 2.5 batt and a couple of the smaller 1.9Ah and we keep a charger on the site. The 14.4V Max 2.5Ah is $60 at HD or $30-40 on Ebay however unfortunately they hit you with a pretty heavy shipping charge........good luck...Ray

Comment

Working...
                              X