Announcement

Announcement Module
Collapse

How To Post Images

Want to know the how to upload images to your posts? Image Posting Tutorial
See more
See less

Seeking answers on my new Ridgid 3300 pressure washer please!

Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seeking answers on my new Ridgid 3300 pressure washer please!

Hi everyone!

I was hoping to have some of my questions answered regarding my recent purchase of the Ridgid 3300 Pressure Washer....

First, does anyone here have one yet?

Second, is this the first time Ridgid has manufactured and sold pressure washers?

Third, why can't I find Ridgid pressure washers in the Ridgid registration area of their web site?

Fourth, this is the strongest and best engineered pressure washer I have ever seen. Does anyone agree with me?

Thank you,

Freddy
    Don't squabble with the chickens
    Instead, soar
    with the eagles

Re: Seeking answers on my new Ridgid 3300 pressure washer please!

soarwitheagles,
    Please update us on your current experience with your unit. Is it meeting your expectations?

Comment

Yes it is a good design but it will never produce 3300 psi @3gpm. The CAT is an excellent pump but Ridgid is overrating that PW. Buy a gauge from Northern Tool, and install it in-line to the hose, and run the unit , you will see the actual pressure, more like 2600 psi I would guess,(my DP 2800 with the same CAT pump/Honda 6.5hp does about 2650 psi. after tuning the setup, engine and unloader settings need to be adjusted usually, and after breakin too) 2,8gpm with a 3.5 nozzle. All the PW manufacturers do this stupid over rating , CAT does not overrate but their rating is for the pump's potential maximum , not rated as produced on any actual setup because each is unique. The engine speed, HP,unloader setting, hose length. orifice of the nozzle all factor in.
      The 3300 Ridgid is a good PW but not anything new or really special. These type of PW's have been around a long time in this same basic design.
      I also have a DP3750, that will put out 3600psi @4gpm, CAT/13hp Honda. That unit is really powerful and can knock concrete off with a 0* nozzle. Way different in output than the DP2800 which is what your unit is like.
      Enjoy you new toy.

Comment

Andrew M,
        Most manufacturers overstate info( ie car manufactrures),
        I checked the manual and Ridgid stated the pressure is based on PWMA standard 101
        A google found the following:

The first PWMA standard, PWMA PW101-1998, Standard for Testing and Rating Performance of Pressure Washers: Determination of Pressure and Water Flow, was completed and approved in October 1998. PWMA PW101 is intended to provide a uniform method of testing and rating the primary performance characteristics of pressure washers: pressure and water flow. PWMA PW101 applies to pressure washers intended for the household, farm, consumer, or commercial/industrial markets. The pressure washers covered by PWMA PW101 are portable, engine or electric motor driven, in which the discharge line is hand supported and manipulated.

Contact PWMA or PWMA members to order a copy of PWMA PW101, Standard for Testing and Rating Performance of Pressure Washers: Determination of Pressure and Water Flow or if you have questions about pressure washers.

To determine how they arrived at the 3300psi I guess we would need this
        secret document, which is available only from PWMA members.

Comment

I’ve read and read and read, and I am torn on which one I should get also. It’s between the 3000 (that I bought last week) and returning it and getting the 3300. I have found that the 3000 comes with an AR brand axial pump. So at least it’s a good axial pump. I called AR and they said that they did upgrade the seals and rings in the RIDGID model, but even he said to go with a triplex pump.

He broke down the expected life span of an axial pump. Even if the axial pump only lives about 300 hrs. You figure where I live you have about 4.5 months of decent weather. So let’s say that’s 18 weekends to work. 1) My weekends are for play so I would not be using it every single weekend. 2) A lot of the things you clean won’t necessarily need cleaned every single summer. Having said that, lets say I spend 20 hours all summer power washing…which sounds about right because I could probably do every single major chore I can think of in an 8 hour day easy and be done for the summer plus 20 minutes here and there washing my truck. That’s 15 years of service from a $400 PW. Heck, I’ll round down and say it dies in 10. A friend of mine bought an Excell 2500 five years ago, and spent under $400 and his has an axial pump on it. His is constantly in use all summer long by friends or family members and his is still going strong.

So back to the 3000 vs. 3300 RIDGID. The 3300 does have 1 more “continuous” hp, and an actual psi difference of 250 over the 3000. However, I do find the 3000 more versatile in its design in that you can have car washing detergent in the reservoir bottle and another kind in a bottle in the front and switch between the two. There isn’t a soap reservoir at all on the 3300. This is my first PW, is lugging and moving a gallon jug along with the PW that big of a deal? Is it worth the extra $200 to get the better pump when I will use it as an average home owner? Please knock me off the fence one way or another.

Comment

What is the price difference between both models? For home users you should get by with either, but the 3300 has some nice features you'll like having later on. If it's not too much more $$$ just go for it. It's not just the better pump but also other things which make the 3300 a nicer machine.

Please look into other brands while your at it. A serious professional machine is big $$$ and for a home user most likely serious overkill. If you ever get a large tuff job that's where you can rent a serious machine.
            Last edited by Woussko; 05-13-2008, 06:00 PM.

Comment

simchamp,
              I have decided on the 3300psi pump I am willing to pay the difference for the cat triplex pump (I read somewhere 500hrs before rebuild) and larger engine. On the minor side I prefer the wheels, which are steel instead of plastic and the hose mounting on the back of the machine.
              If you prorate the machine cost difference over 5years, its only $ 40 per year. Not very much!

Comment

Hey Phils,

I returned my 3000 and got the 3300. I cannot believe the difference between the two units. On paper the CAT pump, one more hp and 300 psi doesn't seem like that big of a deal but the difference between the two is amazing. Either my 3000 was a dud or it's specs are grossly over stated.

I have used the 3300 on my deck and my front sidewalk and I haven't had to go beyond the 25 degree nozzle to git-r-done... and I probably shouldn't have used the 25'r on my deck because there was "pulp" everywhere when I was done... but it looks like new lumber again. I do like the in-take hose location on the 3300 better. There is a lot more room to get to it and get the hose tight. On the 3000 the space is a lot more cramped and you can't get to it very well to tightenthe hose...and I even have small hands.

Although the 3300 has a lot more muscle than the 3000 there are a few things I would change... and one was an easy fix.

1. I did like where you stored the hose (on the front) of the 3000 better than where it's stored on the 3300. I've stepped on the hose three or four times in the short time I've used it. I find it easier to pull it than push it, because I keep stepping on the hose.

2. Although the air-free tires on the 3300 make for a smoother ride, the gun still hops out of the craddle. However, this time around, I installed a strip of (non-adhesive) velcro to both rests. Super easy to do and undo and all I did was fold the strip in half and cut a "v" shaped hole in it, ran the original bolts through the hole and you're done.

Again, I don't know if my 3000 had an issue or not but the 3300 is a hot rod!

Comment

I told you so, the CAT is way better than any axial cam, no comparison. I justed used the DP2800 I have and it puts out 2600psi/2.8gpm with the same pump, I measured it with a gauge from Northern Tool at the hose end of the pump, running, goes to 2800-3000psi at standing pressure.

Comment

simchamp,
                    Good to hear you like the 3300 psi unit. I am waiting for a 10% off moving coupon from Home depot, before I purchase mine.
                    I like the velcro suggestion to keep the gun from moving.
                    Maybe you can clarify for me if the unit has any adjustment for changing the mix ratio of the detergents to water at the suction hose.
                    I noticed HD has different detergents in gallon jugs. If you used one gallon jugs to clean your deck/sidewalk,how much material in what period of time did you use with the 25 r nozzle.
                    Have you had any problems with the face plate like you experienced with the 3000psi unit?
                    Last edited by phils; 05-19-2008, 06:31 PM.

Comment

The Subaru-Robin engine on the 3300 is a better made engine too. It should give a bit more than just 1 HP extra to the pump. Checking their site the difference is 5.7 HP at 4000 RPM and 7.1 HP at 4000 RPM. With the larger EX21 engine you get 6.8 HP at 3600 RPM. With the better pump as well, you should get a good bit more blasting power from it.

Comment

To respond to Andrew's comment first, you are right bud, the CAT pump is awesome! The unit has so much compression that I find it easier to start while pulling the trigger on the spray gun. The pull string feels like the engine is almost seized up at times it's so hard to pull, but squeezing the trigger makes starting it a snap. The Subaru engine fires up by the 2nd pull EVERY time.

Phils, I'm on my third tank of fuel now and I have had ZERO issues with the 3300. The face plate, thus far, is a non-issue.

I only used detergent on my deck. I used the Zep deck stuff that they sell at HD. From what I've seen, the unit ONLY dispenses soap when using the low-pressure soap nozzle. If there is a way to adjust the flow of the soap I don't know how to do so. Really what I have is a covered patio (it's quicker and easier to call it a deck) and I blazed through a half gallon of the stuff with that small job. I honestly didn't try a section without the soap, and if I had, maybe it wouldn't have been a fair test since I was spraying it over head and most of it obviously dripped off. Then again, having said that, the posts were no cleaner than the rafters. To go along with what Woussko said, the thing has so much muscle I'm not sure what good the detergent did. I didn't even bother bringing out the concrete detergent today when I cleaned my driveway. I just slapped the 25 degree tip on it and went. It took just one pass and she was clean. You could easily see the difference. My old driveway looks good... minus a few chunks the washer blasted loose. : ) It also works great as an edger and is great at removing weeds or grass from any cracks. LOL

I'm sure this unit is nothing compared to higher priced models, but for what I need, it makes me feel like I'm hunting rabbits with a 50 cal.
                        Last edited by simchamp; 05-19-2008, 08:53 PM.

Comment

You can buy an adjustable soap injector, or you can pinch /restrict the line or reduce the ratio. A Rotex type nozzle is a 0* rotating in a 25* pattern if you want more power, I was luck to find 2 DeWalts on clearance at HD as well as nozzle soap injector, but that will really use the detergent but it is applied at hi pressure. I find using a broom on decks after the soap is applied usually works fine with low pressure . I use a rotary brush attm. for cars/trucks that applies soap too.
                          I would consider the Ridgid 3300, a very good PW. Nothing wrong with the price or components. I hardly use my DP3750 except on very large areas.

Comment

I received the HD's 10% off coupon I was waiting for today, so it looks like I will get the 3300psi pressure washer this week. Thank you for the valuable information. I will post my experience with the WP, after a couple of driveway clean up projects.

Comment

Hello,

I thought I would put in my 2 bits on these Ridgid power washers. I'm holding out for the 3800 P.S.I. unit to hit the HD stores. For the past 2 months now The Ridgid web sight has had this Machine up for viewing but not for sale. This very nice lady at One World Technology which is who makes the unit claims the 3800 4.0 GPM bad boy will be up for grabs by Fathers Day. The biggest selling point to me is the fuel tank and the extra power. My thoughts are It comes with 50 feet of hose, I'll buy 50 feet more then I can keep the unit in one place rather than moving it and the water hose around the house. I understand my PSI will decrease because of the longer hose so maybe it will come it at 3400 psi?... Any other guys looking to buy this unit??

Comment

Working...
                              X