Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tablesaw Table Flatness - Why so Critical?

Hello,

Being a 100% novice to woodworking, I've read much on the hobby, and especially table saws as the necessity of the TS and the safety issues mandated I become as educated as possible. One thing that always struck me was the extremely tight tolerances TS tuning tries to achieve. A naive question perhaps, but I don't understand why a table must be flat within a few thousandths of an inch, the thickness of a human hair. Other than table flatness, I am presuming that cutting angles are critical due to the magnification of an error over a long distance. .1 degree over a 5' length is .1 inch. But, a bevel on stock that is 6" thick would be off by .01", if the angle was off by .1 degree. Is that going to be seen?

I am asking because when I get my saw, I want to get the right tools to make sure it is working as accurately and safely as reasonably possible and necessary.

Thank you.

- Phil
    Last edited by Phil3; 03-29-2008, 01:39 AM. Reason: Grammar.

Re: Tablesaw Table Flatness - Why so Critical?

Whether it's critical or not depends on what you want your end result to be. "Garbage in-garbage out".
    1/64" doesn't sound like much, but in a piece that you want to be nice, a gap that size in a joint can look like the grand canyon.
    It all really boils down to what you want to achieve. The more accurate one set up is, the more accurate the next one can be.

Jack
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Working...
    X