Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer and Ridgid Planer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer and Ridgid Planer

Local guy in my area is offering up both of these (no model #'s yet) for sale. Claims both are brand new. Planer for $200 and Jointer for $300.

Is this a good deal?
    Last edited by osgoor; 03-29-2008, 08:25 AM. Reason: Planer is the 13" version

Re: Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer and Ridgid Planer

Depends on how old they are and what shape they're in. If both are in very good condition then I'd say that the planer is priced in the right range but the jointer is well on the high side for a used machine.

Also, keep in mind that you may have a problem down the road finding replacement knives for the planer. The jury is still out on whether or not Ridgid will still be producing the TP1300LS after current HD inventories are depleted.
    ================================================== ====
    ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

Re: Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer and 13" Ridgid Planer

These are listed as new.

Comment

Re: Ridgid 6 1/8 Jointer and 13" Ridgid Planer

If that is the case and both are in factory sealed unopened cartons then yeah that would be a pretty good deal.

Comment

Not a bad deal at all....you can always offer less and see if he takes it.

Comment

Seems like a good price. Yes, planer knives are a sought after item - keep your eye out for them, be it on eBay or wherever, and pick them up when you can, so you're not left running in circles trying to find them when you need them.

Comment

Eventually someone will start making aftermarket knives. For some reason i thought freud was already making them?

Comment

I think Freud is the one who makes Ridgid's OEM blades for their products, so I also agree with you in thinking that Freud will step up to filll the need with aftermarket products to fill in the gap.

Comment

I know that Freud and others have knives available for the Ridgid jointer but I'm not aware of anyone who makes the planer knives.

Comment

Oh yeah... thats right the jointer knives are widely available

what type of planer knives are they? i guess you can't sharpen them?

Comment

They are not resharpenable, if you want to use the easy drop-in indexing alignment.. If you want to endure the pain of aligning them, perhaps they could be sharpened...

Remember, your planer blades are reversible, AND the planer itself came with one spare set (two sided). So think about picking up one or two extra sets... but a stockpile of blades might outlast the machine itself!

I picked up one spare set, in addition to the spare set that comes with the planer. But frankly, I'm still on my first side of the stock blades. That gives me five (5) changes on-hand if needed.

My current blades have two tiny nicks in them that leave a very small ridge on the boards I plane. It takes about 5 minutes with a plane or scraper to remove them, so I haven't changed 'em. The planing cut quality is still quite excellent over the rest of the surface. I've put about 750 BF of mixed species through my planer in the last 2 years... cedar, black walnut, red oak, maple, pine, cherry. I keep the rollers cleaned and I only take a MAX of 1/16 per pass..

Comment

Working...
                      X