Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need advice - Milwaukee vs Dewalt vs ???

Hello everyone - just wondering if I could get some advice/opinions please.

I recently (until last night) had a 4 piece Makita LXT kit (LXT402). I kept having problems with the dill (slipping bits) and went through 3 of them since November '07. Returned it to HD and got a store credit (for roughly $500 CDN).

I was hoping to try the 2 piece Milwaukee 18V Lithium Ion kit that includes the hammer drill and impact driver, but this kit is no longer available at HD Canada I'm told - only the 4 piece which also has the light and recipro saw. The 2 piece kit was $250 when it was in stock vs the $599 price on the 4 piece.

Also looked at the 2 piece 18V Nano kit from Dewalt for $499. It has the 2 pieces I really need the most (the flashlight would be handy at times but I never use a recipro saw).

I've never owned a Dewalt or Milwaukee set before, so any advice would be helpful here - especially from someone with experience with one of those kits.

Am kind of hoping for a sale at HD real soon (here in Canada) also to get those kits down in price. Anyone know of anything coming up soon?

Or is there another option to be considered? I did check out the Ridgid Lithium Ion drill but the kit with 2 batteries is $229 and HD doesn't have the MaxSelect Impact Driver anymore here, only a 14.4V version that doesn't take the LithIon batteries. Also those 18V LithIon batts are only 1.5's.

Thanks in advance!
    Rob

Re: Need advice - Milwaukee vs Dewalt vs ???

They are both good kits. The milwaukee kit seems like a better value, but that dewalt impact driver is much better than the milwaukee because it's smaller, lighter and has a little LED like the bosch impactors. Also the dewalt drill may be slightly better than the milwaukee because it has that awesome rohm self-tightening chuck and an extra gear. If you NEVER use the reciprocating saw then the dewalt kit may be better for you. However, if you think you will ever need a cordless reciprocating saw, then buy the milwaukee kit because the milwaukee sawzall is better than the current dewalt.

Also, you can pick up one of those dewalt snake lights on ebay or the service center for pretty cheap later, and they will work with the nano batteries.

Comment

Oh so the Dewalt snake light will work with the Nano batteries? That's good to know! I will have to price those out.
      It's too bad the Milwaukee kit wasn't on sale still, but then again I guess that could be said for the Dewalt kit also.

The sad thing is the 2 piece Dewalt kit is the same price as the 4 piece Makita set (since it was on sale when I bought it).

Thanks for the post! Very handy to have other people's opinions

Comment

I have the 4 piece Millwaukee kit, the impact does have the LED light like the Dewalt. I like it a lot, some of the guys at work with the NI-CAD Dewalt kits like my Milwaukee kit better, but can't say about the NANO.

Comment

I would strongly urge the DeWalt kit. If you use Impact drivers the DeWalt blows the Milwaukee away and is a much easier size to handle with much more power. Also the DeWalt hammer drill is able to produce much more speed, especially since they have the 3rd speed which Milwaukee can not produce. We have also found the 4 position blade on the DEWalt to be very handy, especially when needing to make a flush cut. We have also bought a couple of the Nano batteries and they are wonderful. They fit ALL existing power tools and last much longer in between charges than the Nicad since they do not self discharge. Also the fact that the Nano weighs I believe as much as the 12V nicad is very nice. Much lighter.

Comment

The Dewalt 18v nano batteries will fit any of their 18v tools. The only catch is it's slightly shorter than the old 18v nicad batteries so they look weird on the other tools. Honestly I think as far as the tools themselves the Dewalt kit is overall better. Their 18v drills are easily the best around and the new impact driver is sweet. The problem is the price is still just not competitive. Since it's a new release I would never recommend buying it for a few months longer until prices fall in line with the rest of the 18v lithium ion groups. It's just not a good deal at the current price no matter how good the tools are. The milwaukee set is nice but I'm not so impressed with the design of the tools. The batteries are very big for 18v and the impact driver is unusually large. I don't have any experience with it so I can't comment on it's quality but it should be pretty good given it's a milwaukee. I just wonder how much of milwaukee's corded reciprocating saw know-how vs TTI cheapness actually made its way into the V18 saw. Dewalt's 18v recip saws are really good and you can get the bare tool for incredibly cheap.

Comment

HD here doesn't sell any of the Dewalt tools alone (except for the drills), so may be hard to find the light I'm looking for.
              Has anyone used both the Dewalt and Milwaukee impact drivers? You guys
              are right though, the Milwaukee one is unusually large!
              Is the self-tightening chuck on the Dewalt new? It seems good for smaller bits for sure - which is the main problem I had with the Makita.

Thanks for the input guys!

Comment

Originally posted by AlbertaRAM View Post
                HD here doesn't sell any of the Dewalt tools alone (except for the drills), so may be hard to find the light I'm looking for.
                Has anyone used both the Dewalt and Milwaukee impact drivers? You guys
                are right though, the Milwaukee one is unusually large!
                Is the self-tightening chuck on the Dewalt new? It seems good for smaller bits for sure - which is the main problem I had with the Makita.

Thanks for the input guys!
                HD sells all the tools in the kits by themselves witht he exception of the 18V grinder/cut off tool. THey carry the snake light for sure and I believe I have also seen the 18V fluroscent light as well.

We do a lot of drilling using 3/8-1/2 bits with the self tightening chuck and have had very few issues with it at all.

Comment

Must be a difference between HD in Canada and the US. I haven't seen any single tools (except the drills) at any HD here in Canada.
                  Sucks!
                  I would really like to get that florescent Dewalt light.

Comment

The single tools are rarely sold in HD's beyond the drills, at least around here. If you don't mind buying from ebay though you can just get a basic kit with batteries and then add the other bare tools from ebay. They sell for a bargain from plenty of reputable and even authorized resellers. Oh and I would highly recommend the flourescent lamp. I have one and I can't even imagine being without it. It is easily one of the most useful tools.
                    Last edited by Velosapien; 03-31-2008, 01:28 AM.

Comment

AlbertaRAM, I concur with what others here have said. Based on your choices, go with the DeWalt Nano kit. That impact driver is a real treat, very small and well designed. And the 3rd gear/speed on the drill is awesome. (I of course would recommend Ridgid first, but due to your listed choices, the DeWalt Nano kit is the way to go). You are correct, HD in Canada does not list as much solo tools as you can get at the HDs in the U.S. So, get yourself the Nano 2-tool kit, and then just order the rest of what you want from off of eBay. The fluorescent light is of awesome design, I wish other tool manufacturers would follow suit (hint, hint Ridgid).

Sounds like you've got your decision in place, you whittled through your selection pretty good, and you know your pros and cons. Go get yourself your new toys...er, tools!

Comment

Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
                        The Dewalt 18v nano batteries will fit any of their 18v tools. The only catch is it's slightly shorter than the old 18v nicad batteries so they look weird on the other tools. Honestly I think as far as the tools themselves the Dewalt kit is overall better. Their 18v drills are easily the best around and the new impact driver is sweet. The problem is the price is still just not competitive. Since it's a new release I would never recommend buying it for a few months longer until prices fall in line with the rest of the 18v lithium ion groups. It's just not a good deal at the current price no matter how good the tools are. The milwaukee set is nice but I'm not so impressed with the design of the tools. The batteries are very big for 18v and the impact driver is unusually large. I don't have any experience with it so I can't comment on it's quality but it should be pretty good given it's a milwaukee. I just wonder how much of milwaukee's corded reciprocating saw know-how vs TTI cheapness actually made its way into the V18 saw. Dewalt's 18v recip saws are really good and you can get the bare tool for incredibly cheap.
                        I agree the batteries seem a little "boxxy" and big, keep in mind they are actually 20 volt batteries, made up of five 4 volt packs or something. They just used v18 so people with the older stuff wouldn't be scared to use the new Lithium batteries on their tools.

The guys at Toolmonger love the hammer drill
                        http://toolmonger.com/2008/01/31/tms...erdrilldriver/

I'm sure the Dewalt set is great but if you can get more tools with the Milwaukee set for the same price, is it really that big of a step down?

Comment

i have the dewalt nano impact driver but not the drill the impact driver works great and very long run time

Comment

Most of the Lithium batteries are actually 20 volt (4 x 5). I've checked the voltage in a few of them before just to see and they are usually between 18 and 20 when fully charged.
                            It's not a question of the Dewalt vs Milwaukee and both being the same price... the Milwaukee kit is just over $100 more, although there are 2 extra tools (well, 1 tool and 1 light). The problem is I would never use the recipro saw, so paying $100 more for the light didn't seem to make much sense.
                            I ended up getting the Nano 2 piece kit - charged up the batteries and will try it out tomorrow at work! The impact is very much like the Makita one for sure in size and weight.
                            Thanks for the help guys! Will post tomorrow as to how I am enjoying my new toys Now if I can just find someone in Canada that has the Dewalt florescent light so that I don't have to pay $35 shipping on ebay ones haha!

Comment

I think you will finds the lithium batteries are rated at 3.6 or 3.7 volts per battery. So for 5 batteries, the voltage comes out at somewhere around 18.0 to 18.5 volts. This is a 'nominal' voltage. I am not really sure how the 'nominal' voltage level is determined. If you trake a fully charged 18 volt NiCd, just off the charger, it should read somewhere around 21 volts. Just want to dispel the idea that the lithium are higher voltage batteries than the comparable NiCds. The Lithium will hold their charge longer than a NiCd when not used, and their voltage will not drop off as quick during use. When drained, the Lithium will just stop, but the NiCd will just go slower. Right out of the charger, both Lithium and NiCds will perform as well as each other, the NiCd will probably perform better as it can stand a higher current draw. Assuming equal amperage of the batteries, the lithium will last longer in a high current draw tool. In something like a light, the NiCd would probably last longer.

Comment

Working...
                              X