Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pit Bull 14" band saw

Hi,

I am shopping for a band saw and was looking for one used. Has anyone had any experience with Pit Bull brand? Is it a reputable company? or a cheap knockoff brand?

In this case, it is a 10 year old 14" band saw made by Pit Bull. I can't find any reviews on the internet however which makes me a bit wary.

Thanks for your comments.

Re: Pit Bull 14" band saw

I've never heard of it. Do you know or have any idea of what's on the nameplate, like where made or anything?

CWS

Comment

I only know what I mentioned so far, but I may go take a look at the machine tonight. Thanks.

Comment

The only thing I have with the Pit Bull brand is a big, rotating head vise (weighs about 80 lbs). I got it at a Northern tool or Cummins tent sale about 15 years ago. Think cheap "made in China" as for the quality of finish, but its heavy and good for bending metal, using as an anvil, etc. and the rotating head is convenient working with pipe.
        Don't know for sure but would think it is probably something in the order of Harbor Freight type. Have to look close; some are gems and some are lumps of coal.Takew the covers off and see if the blade runs in the center of both wheels. If not, you may have problems getting the wheels coplanar so the blade will track right and not cause a lot of drift.
        I have the Harbor Freight type (General brand), that I bought used with a riser kit, spare blades and roller guides. Took some tweaking but it is now a good saw.

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

The Pit Bull brand appears to be another one of those elusive China Export product brands that gets distributed through a variety of discount outlets of which Harbor Freight and Cummins are perhaps the most reputable.

China's vast wealth of industrial businesses range from small back alley sheds to more conventional factories. They are often brought together through an array of China Export Businesses whose soul purpose is to discover products for export. These export businesses often find products and subcontract to a variety of manufacturers, both big and small, to produce products which are branded for export. The brand names are usually targeted for the regions in which they will be sold and all too often the brands are very short lived. Quality variations exist within the particular product, simply because of the number of subcontract sources within China. The actual origin of a particular model or product is almost impossible to determine and most of these products are produced without any concern for warranty, service, or parts availability. It's usually just a simple manner of an agent of the export business to contact such manufacturers and ask if the product can be produced and if so, how many?

You can do a search on some of these product names and find many sources for purchase, but no source for manufacture, service, or even product representation. Likewise, you can often find China product listings from a particular export organization, and thus order vast quantities of readily available products for your own retail business (good for those dollar stores and mail order/web-based businesses). Just Google "Chinese Products" and you'll get an example.

These companies are different than TTI and other manufactures as their primary focus is on exporting for profit. TTI (and others) are more tuned to the European and American business model where you manufacturer a product for long-term profit and market share.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by CWSmith View Post
            The Pit Bull brand appears to be another one of those elusive China Export product brands that gets distributed through a variety of discount outlets of which Harbor Freight and Cummins are perhaps the most reputable.

China's vast wealth of industrial businesses range from small back alley sheds to more conventional factories. They are often brought together through an array of China Export Businesses whose soul purpose is to discover products for export. These export businesses often find products and subcontract to a variety of manufacturers, both big and small, to produce products which are branded for export. The brand names are usually targeted for the regions in which they will be sold and all too often the brands are very short lived. Quality variations exist within the particular product, simply because of the number of subcontract sources within China. The actual origin of a particular model or product is almost impossible to determine and most of these products are produced without any concern for warranty, service, or parts availability. It's usually just a simple manner of an agent of the export business to contact such manufacturers and ask if the product can be produced and if so, how many?

You can do a search on some of these product names and find many sources for purchase, but no source for manufacture, service, or even product representation. Likewise, you can often find China product listings from a particular export organization, and thus order vast quantities of readily available products for your own retail business (good for those dollar stores and mail order/web-based businesses). Just Google "Chinese Products" and you'll get an example.

These companies are different than TTI and other manufactures as their primary focus is on exporting for profit. TTI (and others) are more tuned to the European and American business model where you manufacturer a product for long-term profit and market share.

CWS
            Excellent explanation, CWS. I second that opinion/editorial - a good summary.

Comment

Based on my experience, the biggest value of these items is that they provide a means to get the job done for those that can't/won't afford better, and in doing so, educate those same people on what they really want/need when they can afford better. The headaches and frustration can be very demoralizing, but the education in why they don't work well can serve in good stead for the future. If you can afford better, buy it. If you don't know what you want, but need an education, these type machines can provide it in spades!! I would advise those that buy them to consider them "throw-aways". If they get something worth reselling, its all bonus.

JMHO

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Thanks for the info. After looking at the saw and doing some research, I decided that it was nearly identical to the current Harborfreight saw model, and instead of being 10 years old, it was apparently 22 years old. Now it did seem to run fine except for a vibration which was probably due to the treads being worn. But the general condition and high price pretty much disuaded me from buying it.

Comment

Working...
                X