X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New MSUV.....

Searched around but didnt find a whole lot of answers....

Looking for opinions on the weight of the new MS-UV. Now that its on sale for 99 (assuming I can find one) Im intrigued....

I have a Bosch 12" SCMS, so its heavy to begin with. Seeing the MS-UV at 94 lbs makes me wonder if the whole setup will be too heavy to move around easily (and unfold, for that matter, with the 55lb saw attached to it).

Currently have a custom built rolling cabinet for my miter saw, and it works nice. Takes up about the same width as the MSUV folded up (28", right?). Is that 28" width if I leave the saw sitting on top (i.e. using the MSUV without the extensions).....wanted to see if I can fit it in the same spot I have my rolling cabinet.

So pro of MSUV is that I can build boards for other portable tools to rest on it. Con is its heavy. If anyone can talk me out of the weight thing, I might buy one

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Re: New MSUV.....

Well it's got wheels, so it's not too bad. I have a bosch 12" SCMS on the older MS-UV. It works, but the MS-UV is obviously poor quality. The new one is much better. I would gladly trade up.

Comment

Well, its done Got the last 9944 MSUV in the store (aside from the one sitting in overhead......I *almost* thought about asking for it to be taken down, because it was still in plastic wrapper, but didnt wanna bother anyone).

2 things:

1. I put it together and noticed the "stiffness" in the fold-down motion. I assume once its worked for a while it will loosen up? I saw someone else here mention the same thing.

2. Does the Bosch 12" SCMS need a plywood panel to mount onto the arms? I dont remember if the mounting holes for the saw are parallel (for some reason, I dont think they are).

Thanks in advance.

-Chris

Comment

• I got the MSUV for Christmas, so I don't know if it's the new design or not, but the thing is very sturdy.
        • The "stiffness" is the spring "suspension" on the thing. It keeps the whole rig from crashing to the ground when you hit the release.
        • The wheels provide a fulcrum and the protruding "feet" provide nice leverage for lifting it up. It's quite easy.
        • I haven't found it to be flimsy or poor quality at all.
        • With the Ridgid 12" CMS on it, it is quite heavy, but the whole thing kind of works like a two wheel cart, so it's quite manageable.

Comment

Actually mine has the stiffness about half way thru folding it down. I give it an initial "push" downard to get it started, then it moves nicely to about halfway down then sticks a little.

Lifting up works perfectly fine, and this thing isnt that complicated, so Im guessing it just needs to be worked in a little (NOTE that I didnt have my miter saw on it, I assume once I add the 50 lb beast it will make the whole MSUV fold down even easier).

-Chris

Comment

The weight is definitely an unavoidable issue if one had to put the complete unit+mitersaw into the bed of a pick up on a daily basis. Its almost a non-issue in the workshop or around the home. Despite all the positive feedback I read about the older msuv, I did not like it because my unit flexed during use. I noticed annoying side-to-side flex from the Dewalt on display at HD but appreciated the stiffness of the Ryobi for the price. I ended up buying the Bosch gravity-rise stand from amazon and it provided a very sturdy platform for my benchtop tools. I hope to hear from other members that the new msuv is improved and sturdy as a benchtop tool workstation. One review I read stated that the extension arms on the new msuv were a bit flimsy but great in concept. I may have to try one out since there are none on display at HD.

Comment

I just picked one up tonight.
              The date code is : 0752
              And the Case Weight is : 106.7 lbs.
              any info if this is the older or newer version?

The one on display was fairly wobbly, but I figured I could put it together a little better or shim if necessary.
              By the time I got back to the display with a cart, the associate already had one ready to put on.
              While waiting in line, I noticed the date code, and went back to the stack to inspect. I saw that the numbers were higher
              on the remaining few, so I swapped out.
              Anyway...just curious as to the differences like the OP.
              thanx
              mike

Comment

Originally posted by Mike from Pa View Post
                I just picked one up tonight.
                The date code is : 0752
                And the Case Weight is : 106.7 lbs.
                any info if this is the older or newer version?

The one on display was fairly wobbly, but I figured I could put it together a little better or shim if necessary.
                By the time I got back to the display with a cart, the associate already had one ready to put on.
                While waiting in line, I noticed the date code, and went back to the stack to inspect. I saw that the numbers were higher
                on the remaining few, so I swapped out.
                Anyway...just curious as to the differences like the OP.
                thanx
                mike
                Where was the date code? I didnt see one on mine (maybe because I didnt have a box with the plastic on it).

My guess is 07=2007, and 52=52nd week of year.

-Chris

Comment

hey chrisexv6 - i'm trying out the same setup you are! i love my bosch 5412l. wanted to love the ridgid ms1290lz* (tried more than 1) that it replaced but alas i just couldn't get it to cut straight. the bosch doesn't have that problem.

i acutally have a ryobi miter saw stand already. unlike the majority of their products that i've tired, the stand was actually pretty decent. i didn't have any complaints about it except with the bosch mounted on top of it, it was *heavy*. i have a small workshop (read: my half of the garage) and space is at a premium so i've had my eye on the ridgid for a while to help with mobility.

i brought one home tonight and immediately tore the box apart to get the thing together. that's when the problems started. i think that the qc inspector for this particular unit was either asleep at the switch or not there that day because this has to be one of the poorest made products i've ever seen.

first problem - none of the holes were de-burred. that made installing some of the fasteners difficult; no biggie though, nothing a little hammering can't fix.

second problem - two different fasteners were missing. again no big deal i have a bunch laying around that happened to fit.

third problem - the handle that slides into the stand itself (the one with the rubber pieces on it) was cut too long. as a result, it wouldn't fit all the way in and the only way you could fasten it to the stand was to bend the heck out of it. fasteners were too short for that anyway. by this point, i'm pretty aggrivated, but i really want to like this stand so i spent a while cutting off 1/2" off each end of the tubes so it will fit properly.

fourth problem and final straw - the holes in the stand for the wheel bolts (also serve as the axles) were smashed on both sides so they were an oval shape. as a result the bolts wouldn't fit through. no ammount of hammering is going to get these through. i tried bending the collar around the hole back into shape but no luck.

this is going straight back to home depot tomorrow. i've done some searchng on these forums and i think i'm the only one to have these quality control issues so i'm going to try exchanging first - i really want to love this stand, especially at that price!

anybody else run into this problem? the date code on mine was 0748 and it is the newer ac9944.

Comment

oh and for anyone that's interested.... the $99 tag below the stand had the dates 3/31 - 4/30 on it.

Comment

Yep..the date code was on the plastic wrapper.

I like the logic behind your date deductions as well...thx

Comment

Originally posted by Mike from Pa View Post
                        Yep..the date code was on the plastic wrapper.

I like the logic behind your date deductions as well...thx
                        That date code applies to mostly all of Ridgid's powertool products (drills, batteries, saws, etc.). First 2 digits signify year, and last 2 digits signify the week of the year.

Comment

Jus tmy luck, today they have a whole pile of nice MSUVs still in the plastic. And I got a ratty old boxed one

Oh well, mine is together and aside from the stiffness when folding down it seems fine. Hopefully that will go away as it gets some use.

Comment

[quote=chrisexv6;133122]Actually mine has the stiffness about half way thru folding it down. I give it an initial "push" downard to get it started, then it moves nicely to about halfway down then sticks a little.

I noticed the same issue with my MSUV having difficulty folding it down. Did anyone figure out how to get around this hangup? It would be perfect if it folded up quickly. The MSUV is more sturdy compared to the older model but I will drill another hole to insert a quick-release pin to lock the folding legs to achieve even less flex/movement. Overall it looks great in the workshop and can support my weight.
                            Last edited by reConx; 04-19-2008, 11:59 AM.

Comment

Yup, it gets "stuck" 1/2 way and then you have to apply some pressure for it to go fully down. I haven't figured it out....but doesn't bother me much

Comment

Working...
                              X