New BS 1400 out of box

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New BS 1400 out of box

Hi all, I spent a few hours yesterday putting my band saw together, the whole time wondering if I had made the right choice in this saw. I was very carefull to follow the directions and spent a lot of time making sure I completed each step properly. Got it all together and then came the moment of truth, plug it in, hit the switch and hope that it does not vibrate itself out the door!! Yes, it stayed in its place with just a little vibration that I think will go away when I get the new tires and link belt installed. It was a good day...

Les

Re: New BS 1400 out of box

im heading to the garage right here in a sec to put mine together. wish me luck

Comment

got mine together and it does seem to have some vibration. i dont know its ita normal vibration or excessive though. im gonna check the balance on the wheels and go from there

one thing i noticed is to adjust the lower thrust bearing you have to remove the whole table and trunion assembly in order to get the hex bearing shaft out. is that normal??

Comment

ok a slight update

went back out yesterday to mess with the saw and started it up and the vibration was considerably less then it was before. i dont know if maybe the belt or tires just needed to run a few minutes to break in or what but its very acceptable now. in fact i think if the base was a bit more sturdy it wouldnt even be noticable. the only problem mine had was the rear blade guard was apparently rubbing the blade and causing a ticking sound. i just loosened the two screws a bit and it went away. overall im very happy with my bandsaw

Comment

Hello all, installed my link belt yesterday and it eliminated the shudder at start up and stop. Installed the Kreg fence system and am waiting for my riser kit to arrive from Grizzly that is on back order till May 1, then will balance wheels, install new tires, put on riser kit and new Suffolk blades. Will be a lean mean cutting machine!!!

Les

Comment

If you have to spend all that money to upgrade the BS 1400, wouldn't it be better to just get a higher quality bandsaw to begin with? I don't have one, but I just wanted to ask because that seems like quite an investment in all the add-ons.

Comment

Yes and no, I got the saw with a 15% off coupon and ordered all other parts with a lot of internet surfing to get the best price. I will have about $550 invested and a few hours work for a saw that will last me a lifetime. Would have put the link belt, urathane tires, riser kit and Kreg fence on any saw I would have bought so just felt the Ridgid was the least expensive of my choices in the long run.

Les

Comment

That's pretty good, all that stuff for that price. I just wanted to point out that it could have got out of hand.

Comment

Just as an FYI, RIDGID will be coming out with their new 14" Bandsaw soon as seen at the 2008 Builders Show.

Here's a small write up on it...
                  One of the tools that really intrigues me is Ridgid’s new 14-inch bandsaw. An update to their longtime BS1400, this new model (R474) features a 1-hp motor (up from ¾) mounted below the saw in an enclosed steel base, a built-in mobile base, dual-bearing blade guides with cam-action micro-adjustments, improved dust collection with a diversion chute surrounding the lower guides and 2 ½- and 4-inch dust ports, and a flexible-mounted work light that can be switched on with the saw’s power switch or on a separate switch. It will still have 6 inches of resaw capacity, but that extra power should make for quicker work. These added features have also added to the price tag: $450, up about $75 or so from the BS1400.
                  Here's a pic of it...

Comment

Glad your Bandsaw went together well. I received the wrong V-belt from the start. Thankfully, Home Depot gave me the one off the floor model and I gave them the wrong one. The Belt was about 3" too long.

Then the vibration was horrible. With no truck to take it to a Rigid Service Center and Customer Service's return it attitude and trying to work it out with Home Depot I just balanced the damn top wheel myself. Here's a photo so see how bad it was off. I'm looking for the 1/4oz wheel weights with double stick tape for the permanent solution.

http://www.hunt101.com/showphoto.php...7/ppuser/31934

I tried dimpling first but worried about removing too much metal.

In Ridgid's defense, the bottom wheel was damn near perfect.
                    Last edited by Sparsky; 06-25-2008, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X