X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Right Angle Drill choice

The professional plumber or electrician would have the answer I need to help me choose a versatile drill for remodeling purposes. I would like to purchase one drill that would cover most of my needs in plumbing/electrical. Milwaukee has two heavy duty drills: 7.5amp Hole Hawg and 7amp Right Angle drill and I would like to know which one would be your preference if you had to choose one. There are differences between the drills and would like to hear your experiences from the field, i.e.: tight spots, binding, reliability, etc. I tried to go Ridgid but I hesitated too long ...Thanks

Re: Right Angle Drill choice

I had a Makita hole hawg type drill and used it for many many years, and it seemed to do nearly all I asked of it, I did replace it with a dewalt right angel drill a few months ago, and have not used it much but have no complaints with it, (the Mikita some times I felt the slip clutch was too lose at times), but that was after 20 years of use as well.

I did general construction and remodeling.
    Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
    attributed to Samuel Johnson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...410757&sr=1-41

hands down, when come to right angle drill there is nothing on the market that comes close

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. I guess I should have searched the forum first because back in 11/2006 I found a great response from senior member Woussko and others on "Milwaukee Hole Drills". Great information for anyone with questions on right-angle drills

Comment

Reconex

Can you post more about what you need the drill to do for you? The right choice is the tool that will best do what you need from it. In some cases a D handle drill with a right angle attachment works great as it will get into places a HoleHawg just can't get into. For really heavy duty work where you have room and a way to brace it, the SuperHawg type really are workers, but they also demand serious respect in what they can do to you when things go wrong. Personally I would be totally lost without a smaller 3/8" little junior right angle drill. I have an old timer Makita that looks like a mini angle grinder and also a SIOUX "T" shape 3/8" drill that while no super duty tool, is very nice for tight work and easy on the hands. For the more serious drilling I use a Milwaukee 3107-6 kit which is a good 1/2" D handle drill with right angle head that can be removed or flipped end for end depending on what speed range I want. If I ever need a real horse it's off to the rental yard for a Milwaukee SuperHawg beast. In time I may buy a Milwaukee 1675 classic HoleHawg if the price is right based on the condition of the tool. I have a bad feeling if I don't, that soon all power tools will be from Red China and real POC junk. I used to bug Milwaukee all the time to make up a mini version of their SuperHawg but not too little. I really think it would have sold very well.

Please do tell us more about the work you need it for and I'm sure you'll get answers. I might add that the old Black & Decker Industrial right angle drills from days back were pretty good. I have seen apart the Makita copy of the Milwaukee 1675 and it looks like a nice drill. At one time Porter-Cable would have made my pick in a super D handle drill with a really nice right angle head, but anymore all I can do is day dream of them now.

They were much like the current Milwaukee 3107 but more power, heavier gearing, a nicer and more beefy RA head and a great all steel case. Needless to say they were gray rather than red. I did get to use one and also saw one (at service center) totally apart. That's when I knew I wanted one, but they had already been discontinued as had the other big horse model P-C drills. I have it from the inside that Dewalt is going to keep dropping tools and go more for the serious DIY and light contractor market. That leaves Milwaukee with a wide open door in a way. Makita could come on strong and so could the Germans. Metabo could sure make some wild drills as they already have them for just Germany sales currently. Just a few changes and they could be shipped over. Fein of Germany has lots of super tools but the $$$ factor limits sales.

Woussko you old howling hound ... Get into your hut and enjoy more Hush Hound.... Shut up ... Bad Wousko .... LOL

Here is my little 3/8" T shape drill. These are pretty cool for lighter duty work but they aren't workhorses. They do well for what they are intended for and you can get the same with an air motor if you want.
          http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...4d5+1207487639

Hint Hint: If anyone has eBay membership and sees one of these being sold by a good dealer with loads of feedback, if new in box, try to get it for under $150 and if recond $125. I've seen it done on there. If you don't like the tool, keep it in mint condition and you can sell them for $100 quick and in many cases more. I know someone that grabbed up several that were new in the box and then 2 weeks later sold them for about a 15% profit on eBay by making up a great listing. Sorry, but I'm not telling who.
          http://www.coastaltool.com/cgi-bin/S...4d5+1207488065
          Last edited by Woussko; 04-05-2008, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.WRENCH View Post
            http://www.amazon.com/Factory-Recond...410757&sr=1-41

hands down, when come to right angle drill there is nothing on the market that comes close
            True if you just want a big "El Beasto Brute" RA drill. That's the bad dog of them for sure.

Comment

I bought a Makita 3010 3/8 right angle drill back around 1990 and it is still going strong. You would not believe the environment and abuse that tool has withstood. The close coupled right angle drive gets into the tightest spots. Sometimes dangerous because the large paddle switch is easily closed when you might not want to..... the chuck requires the key for any changes, no where to put your fingers.
              But is is my favorite drill motor. I think we paid $160 or so back in the day, it now sells for about $200.
              Steve

Comment

this is the drill I was referring to,

http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...p?productID=28
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                tools of the trade
                1/2-Inch Right-Angle Drills
                Our tester compares power, balance, and features on seven new right-angle drills.

http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=501125
                Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
                attributed to Samuel Johnson
                ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

If you are a carpenter building a multi-million dollar home you use the Milwakee sawzall,durability and controlability.The porter cable is too wild,it rip and tears too much wood and it's motor broke it's tranny in a pinch.The list goes down from there.I use the Dewalt for the inexpensiveness and versatility of the four direction head.

Sorry I had to use this elaborite example.

My experience comes from years around multiple men and two right angle drills.I know of no others that can hang in the real construction plumbing field.

If you are the owner of a production housing company and your guys are on piece work(get paid for the product he completes)buy the milwakee.He will feel the speed and think you are doing him a favor.Make him buy/sharpen his own 1-3/8 through 2-9/16 bits then he'll change his mind about it being so fast.The milwakee is so fast it will not stop in time when you feel a nail.Do this three or four times and you have a worthless smoking push bit,lots of cussing and ugly splintered holes.

The Dewalt's high speed is slower so when you feel the bit coming up on a nail you have enough time to release the trigger in time to stop too many rotation across the nail.

This by no means that you are going to drill a house out faster with the milwakee and a sharp bit.The Dewalt is only a few seconds behind drilling a 2-9/16 self-feed through a framing and top plate with drywall nailer.

I have owned the milwakee.Got tired of wasting bits.Sold it to an apprentice,he did not have to buy his own bits.

I have a 3" scar down my left wrist from a right angle drill that got away from me,could have very easily lost use of it.

Be carefull what you wish for

Adam

Comment

Read this review for heavy duty types of RA Drills:
                    http://www.toolsofthetrade.net/indus...ticleID=512774

"Winners

Without a doubt, my favorites were among the big boys in the heavy-duty class. We bore big holes, lots of them, and that is what these drills do best.
                    The tool that stood out above the others overall was the Makita DA4031. The lightest and most compact, it was the most comfortable to use—the weight and balance seemed to fit me perfectly. Add to that its impressive power and great features, and this drill is a complete winning package.
                    The power and speed of the Milwaukee 1680-21 Super-Hawg was the best there was; it was easily the most powerful of all the drills. It also is the largest and heaviest—truly heavy-duty and another favorite in the category.
                    The classic DeWalt DW124K is a very powerful drill and I liked its leverage, but some of its features are becoming a bit dated. The Ridgid R7130 seems to be a well-built drill, but it was generally outclassed by the others in the test.
                    My favorite of the medium-duty drills was a little harder to determine, but by a nose, it was the well-built Makita DA4000LR. Because of its higher capacities, a very quiet and smooth-running motor, and its easier-to-change keyed chuck, it just edges out the Milwaukee 0721-21 V28 cordless drill. The Milwaukee V28 is an amazing tool that has plenty of power, and anytime you can lose the cord and not miss it, you have a winner.
                    DeWalt's DW120K was the least powerful of the corded drills I tested, and it felt unbalanced. The Milwaukee 3107-6 is a very solid drill with plenty of power, but it was the slowest in the test. Its reverse switch was not very handy, and the extra effort required to remove the chuck kept this drill from the front of the pack.
                    –John Myrtle owns JM Plumbing and Heating in Hotchkiss, Colo."

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post
                      If you are a carpenter building a multi-million dollar home you use the Milwakee sawzall,durability and controlability.The porter cable is too wild,it rip and tears too much wood and it's motor broke it's tranny in a pinch.The list goes down from there.I use the Dewalt for the inexpensiveness and versatility of the four direction head.

My experience comes from years around multiple men and two right angle drills.I know of no others that can hang in the real construction plumbing field.

If you are the owner of a production housing company and your guys are on piece work(get paid for the product he completes)buy the milwakee.He will feel the speed and think you are doing him a favor.Make him buy/sharpen his own 1-3/8 through 2-9/16 bits then he'll change his mind about it being so fast.The milwakee is so fast it will not stop in time when you feel a nail.Do this three or four times and you have a worthless smoking push bit,lots of cussing and ugly splintered holes.

The Dewalt's high speed is slower so when you feel the bit coming up on a nail you have enough time to release the trigger in time to stop too many rotation across the nail.

This by no means that you are going to drill a house out faster with the milwakee and a sharp bit.The Dewalt is only a few seconds behind drilling a 2-9/16 self-feed through a framing and top plate with drywall nailer.

I have owned the milwakee.Got tired of wasting bits.Sold it to an apprentice,he did not have to buy his own bits.

I have a 3" scar down my left wrist from a right angle drill that got away from me,could have very easily lost use of it.

Adam
                      i was one of the first guys at my job to get the Milwaukee, and a month later all the sub contractors went out their way to get them. everybody i know love'em. they are way more reliable than dewalt, which in reality is really a black & decker timberwolf. every time i use to bring my dewalt to the repair shop, because of the transmission, the guy at the desk use to call it cheap junk (i couldn't argue with him).

as far as bits go, i never drill a hole with out checking for nails, and pulling them first. even if you hit a nail, you let go of the trigger, and the drill stops immediately, it's not that complicated. i sharpen my bits with a grinder, it take me less than a min, and my bit is as good as new.

the Milwaukee is powerful enough that you don't need low gear, so you should have no problem controlling it unless you're a little dude. if that's the case, then get all light duty tools.

Comment

Originally posted by drtyhands View Post

Adam
                        You bring back such fond memories of new construction work. I agree 100% with everything you posted.

Mark
                        "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Thanks to everyone for their input about right-angle drills.
                          I picked up a Milwaukee 0375-1 HD Close-Quarter drill from Sears a few years ago for $75 on clearance. I'm not sure why it was on clearance since HD/Lowes had it for $159 back then. The duck-shaped drill has been quite handy for 12-14 gauge wiring or 1/2" H2O supply lines. Things were more challenging for 2" drain lines or 4-6" dryer vent lines. The current Milwaukee close-quarter is shaped a bit different but made in China.
                          I bought a Milwaukee 3107-6 today for $197 (after -15% & -$10 coupon) to handle the more challenging holes I may encounter during a remodeling job. The right-angle adjustable head of the 3107-6 looked like it would fit in more tight situations. I really like the Hole-Hawg/Super Hole-Hawg and may consider one of them before these made-in-USA items become extinct. One can never have too much power as long as we use it properly and carefully. The Makita products are rated very well but are not in the usual HD/Lowes so I went with reputable Milwaukee product to finish the current job. I seen the Hole-Hawg/Super Hole Hawg at Amazon for $287-299.
                          Last edited by reConx; 04-06-2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

The 3107-6 can do some pretty serious hole drilling as long as you don't force it. You're very correct in that it can fit places where the Hawgs can't go. Also having variable speed helps with starting holes or if you need to use it as a power screw driver. You can find adapters with 1/4" hex shanks on one end and either 1/4" or 3/8" square drive on the other for use with sockets. With the RA head setup for low speed you can drive in 1/4 or 5/16 lag screws with ease. Do drill pilot holes for the screws or you'll be splitting wood. Be sure to use the side handle and read the safety instructions.

Comment

Originally posted by MR.WRENCH View Post
                              i was one of the first guys at my job to get the Milwaukee, and a month later all the sub contractors went out their way to get them. everybody i know love'em. they are way more reliable than dewalt, which in reality is really a black & decker timberwolf. every time i use to bring my dewalt to the repair shop, because of the transmission, the guy at the desk use to call it cheap junk (i couldn't argue with him).

as far as bits go, i never drill a hole with out checking for nails, and pulling them first. even if you hit a nail, you let go of the trigger, and the drill stops immediately, it's not that complicated. i sharpen my bits with a grinder, it take me less than a min, and my bit is as good as new.

the Milwaukee is powerful enough that you don't need low gear, so you should have no problem controlling it unless you're a little dude. if that's the case, then get all light duty tools.
                              When drilling and honing triples out of studs for vertical 45 deg offsets My super hawg was too dangerous and uncontrollable.It will blast through work.I need something cleaner.Drilled plenty of holes with the hole hawg for years when my timberwolf was down,they're meaner than the super if they hook up.

We hit nails even when we check,I don't care how hard one looks.And I look,I buy my own bits.The faster speed runs more teeth across the nail before you can let go of your trigger..

I use the pneumatic angle grinder to sharpen.You can only sharpen a $50.00 bit so many times.

Just for giggles I think I'll go get another one,try it out a few times to remind myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X