X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Press

I modified my Rigid Drill press. Needed more accuracy when drilling 2" square tubing. Even after tramming the head to the table it seemed like something was flexing. Either the head or the table. I needed more accuracy on parallel holes in the tube.

Here's my solution. Nested tubes to brace the table. I'm going to have to figure out something else for the quill later.

http://s201.photobucket.com/albums/a...Drill%20Press/

Re: Drill Press

That should definitely keep the table from moving.
    Make sure the head is all the way seated on the pole and the head lock set screws are tight

Comment

Excessive flex is one thing, but the amount of force applied is a factor too. If you really have to push that hard, your bits might need to be sharpened. A bit that is actually cutting shouldn't take that much force.

Comment

These small drill presses are OK for wood. This one has a runout of .006 on the chuck. No name on it so I'm guessing it might be Chinese. But might be the quill or spindle also that is causing it. That little adjustment screw on the side doesn't do much. I was thinking about putting a clamp collar on the quill and running some rods back to the column and mounting a couple of linear bearings next to the column. But that's a lot of trouble. It's OK for flat steel. Any parallel stuff I generally use my mill.

Comment

Gentlemen...

I'd like you're input on the following problem.

I'm trying to drill two (or more) holes crosswise through round metal stock (using a drill press). My questions are...
          1. How can I scribe an accurate line longitudinally (sp?) down the length of the round stock?
          2. How can I make sure that I am drilling exactly down the center of the round stock?
          3. I've tried making a deep center punch where I want my holes to go, but somehowhow the bit always "walks" and the hole is off center. Is there a technique for avoiding this?

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Brad

Comment

Brad, I think someone else may have better ways for questions 1 & 2, but I have a good answer for question 3. First off you need short length "screw machine" twist drills with what's called a split point. Then you need to start with a small diameter one such as 3/32 or 1/8 and drill a pilot hole. From there you can switch to a larger twist drill based on the wanted hole size. For the small drills you want a fast spindle speed. If you'll be drilling many holes, you will want to use a cutting fluid-oil. For just a few holes try #10 non detergent motor oil. Cutting fluid is better but it's not something you can pickup as the hardware store. Do you have a drill press vise?

Comment

Datsco:

First, what Woussko said about the split tips is good advice.

Otherwise, if you scribe the line deep enough (see following), precede the drilling by chucking a spring loaded punch into the drill, and before drilling in step 2, use the drill press to set the punch directly on the line. This will have the punch directed straight at the center of the stock. Also, use lubricant and slowly touch the first small diameter drill to the line as you start drilling. Too much pressure and speed will aggravate any tendency to walk when first getting the hole started. Because you are starting slowly, the lubricant is needed to keep from burning the bit tip. As for lubricant, BO-Lube is the best I have used, but I also have used diesel fuel or mineral oil which also works.

To scribe the line:

Assuming the round stock is straight, lay it (clamp it if possible) on a flat surface (ie table saw top, etc) and lay a board, flat stock etc about half the thickness of the round stock next to it and pull your scribe down the flat surface where it touches the round stock. It does not have to be exactly centered, just straight. This will give you a straight line on the stock.

To get it square to the bit:

Clamp the round stock in the vise and lower your bit to just touching the top of the round stock (pushing the vice back and forth under the bit until it just touches). clamp vise to drill press table. Rotate stock until line centers under drill bit. As you move the stock to drill more holes, you will have to align the bit tip with the line every time you move the stock (by rotating the line to directly under the bit. Do not move the vise).

I mention the vise because if you do not clamp the stock, it will try to rotate as you drill into it. Just using a V-block will not hold it secure enough for real accuracy.

Others may have better ideas but this is a method I have used with success.

Go
              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
              X