R4330 Thickness planer problems

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R4330 Thickness planer problems

due to a small amount of vibration my depth adjustment handwheel creeps forward allowing the cutter head to lower itself. How do I tighten this up, so it wont creep. The owners manual contains no info on this problem.
    any help would be great.

Re: R4330 Thickness planer problems

I am also finding that when the planer is under a little stress, the height adjustment handle creeps up. I took it to an authorized repair center and they said everything is fine. I am thinking of selling my Ridgid and going with a Dewalt mainly because the Ridgid seems to lack power, plus the creeping height adjustment.

Comment

Does anyone have an answer to this old thread? My height adjustment knob creeps up under the smallest amount of vibration. I've tightened everything I could, but nothing seems to help. Thanks.

Comment

do not know any thing about the planer, as I do not have one,

but is there any way of putting a bungee cord (rubber strap) either on the handle (even if one has to drill a few holes so it would align better, in stead just around the handle, (think they have a extended handle), the other idea would be to make a brake or a bracket with a pin in to lock the handle,

personal I have used the bungee cord, on various things over the years, but if it was constant I would make some kind of brake (possibly spring loaded, that would rub on the handle rim), or if there is room, a wood piece that could clamp on to the handle shaft, that could be tighten down, when needed), drill a hole just slightly smaller than the shaft, and then split it so it can clamp on to the shaft, some where with a thumb screw to tighten it up,

I know this is a back door fix, but some times one has to do what one has to do, to make some thing work, (apparently there is a factory design flaw,)
        the nice thing would be to have some location, that one could drill and tap a hole on the shaft and put a nylon insert with a set screw to adjust the tension, or a built in lock or brake,

Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
        attributed to Samuel Johnson
        ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
        PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

I've owned that model for about 6 months.
          It has a carriage lock feature that, if used,
          should solve the problem. Making passes
          of 1/16 inch our less will reduce vibration
          and produce a finer finish. Check the manual.

Comment

Thanks for the ideas BHD, I like the set screw idea

Jim, I checked the manual and online, but nothing there. I am engaging the lock, but doesn't seem to help. The handle spins even at 1/32 cut. I feel that the carriage lock is the answer but there doesn't seem to be a way to adjust it.

Comment

Working...
            X