X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is the tool charger defective?

I purchased the 8pc Ridgid tool kit from HD a couple of months ago. I have only used the charger 3-4 times and it seemed to have worked fine. The series of lights came on at the right time and the batteries charged fine.

Yesterday, I went to charge one the the 18volt Nicad batteries but the Red light on the charger blinks from the time the charger is plugged in. Therefore, I assume the charger is defective. The batteries were not hot, so I do not know what the problem is. I did leave the charger powered overnight, woke up to a Red flashing light this morning. The charger is a single port charger without the fan model R840091b.

Any ideas, or should I call service tomorrow??

Brad

Re: Is the tool charger defective?

I would suspect a bad battery before a bad charger.

Comment

One other reason I thought it was the charger is that I have two batteries and the red light on the charger blinks from the time it is powered on regardless of which battery is in the cradle. The legend on the charger shows that a blinking light means evaluating the battery. Why would it be evaluating as soon as it is powered up without a battery in the cradle?

Comment

Originally posted by bjohnso View Post
        One other reason I thought it was the charger is that I have two batteries and the red light on the charger blinks from the time it is powered on regardless of which battery is in the cradle. The legend on the charger shows that a blinking light means evaluating the battery. Why would it be evaluating as soon as it is powered up without a battery in the cradle?
        Whether you bring it in for service or have it replaced, the dual port with fan is really the way to go. The fan cools the battery and I think extends it's life. I've had mine several years without a problem. I think you could probably find one cheap on Ebay. Goos luck.

Comment

I do not have the dual charger but I always use a small fan near the chargers when I charge all my tool batteries.

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
            I do not have the dual charger but I always use a small fan near the chargers when I charge all my tool batteries.
            That's a good idea and better than nothing. I like the way the fan on the dual charger actually forces air to pass through the battery itself. I think that's real smart. Anyone know if the charger designed for the lithiums has a fan, or is it not necessary to cool them like the nicads?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              That's a good idea and better than nothing. I like the way the fan on the dual charger actually forces air to pass through the battery itself. I think that's real smart. Anyone know if the charger designed for the lithiums has a fan, or is it not necessary to cool them like the nicads?
              Frank
              No fan on either the 24V or 18V LI chargers and no holes in the batteries. I used both batts last summer high 90s weather with no heat issues. I assume heat isn't a problem with the LI batts.....Ray

Comment

Working...
              X