X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbling chuck problems

Hey, I'm looking for information on the problem with purchasing cordless or corded drills and after using it couple times or even not at all the chuck is wobbling. This is a very frustrating problem since I have two drills at home with wobbling chucks and my drill at work is wobbling as of today. I would like recommendations on brands that do not have this problem and brands to avoid. I originally had a Craftsman and had no problem in this area. Would you agree that Craftsman is a good quality drill? If not then what is a quality good drill? I would also like to know the best drill bits to buy.

Re: Wobbling chuck problems

To be honest I'm pretty new to drills and don't use them everyday. I recently wanted to get one all-around cordless drill that I could use for anything around the house. From drilling 5/8" or larger holes in stumps (13" long auger bits) to putting up a shelf, etc. I went to Lowes and looked at all the 18 volt options. Milwaukee, Makita, Bosch, DeWalt and Hitachi. I compared the specs, feel in my hand, features, etc. and I ended up getting the Hitachi DV18DL. It's a drill, driver and hammer drill all-in-one and comes with alot of useful features, wrist breaking torque and some really nice lithium ion packs and charger. I just can't say how nice and well built it is. I know this is a Ridgid forum, but I know very little about their tools and the closest store to me is Lowes and they don't carry that brand. It's just my honest opinion. Later!

Comment

Re: Wobbling chuck problems

I thought I'd post an update on this subject. I used the Hitachi DV18DL yesterday. I have some oak and hickory stumps that need to be burned and I used the drill to put holes in them. Using a 13" long x 5/8" auger bit the drill did this with no problem. I put it in LOW gear and cranked away. I'd say I used it for maybe 18-20 holes with this large bit and the drill/battery was barely warm and still have around 40-50% charge left in it. I think this is pretty awesome. And true to the literature, the last hole was just as strong as the first. Those lithium ion packs just don't fade away like other battery types. The packs have built in circuitry that prevents overcharging, deep discharging, overheating and there's even a feature built-in that prevents damage because of severe overload. For example, yesterday I was using the drill in LOW. I switched over to HIGH to see what would happen. Of course the speed was much faster but with less torque. Once I buried that bit deep the drill started getting overloaded and the pack stopped the flow of current. Once I let off the trigger all was well again. That's pretty awesome IMO. Sorry to sound like an advertisement, but this drill rocks!!! Later!

Comment

Working...
      X