Wobbling chucks

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wobbling chucks

Hey, I'm looking for information on the problem with purchasing cordless or corded drills and after using it couple times or even not at all the chuck is wobbling. This is a very frustrating problem since I have two drills at home with wobbling chucks and my drill at work is wobbling as of today. I would like recommendations on brands that do not have this problem and brands to avoid. I originally had a Craftsman and had no problem in this area. Would you agree that Craftsman is a good quality drill? If not then what is a quality good drill? I would also like to know the best drill bits to buy.

Re: Wobbling chucks

Welcome,
    The search function on this forum should help you with your questions. Try:wobbling chuck or drill bits and see what happens.

Comment

Ridgid, DeWalt, Makita, Panasonic, Bosch and Milwaukee are a few of the companies that make quality drills. A drill from any of them should not have the problem you've been experiencing.
      ================================================== ====
      ~~Don't worry about old age; it doesn't last that long.

Comment

I have not done a search, but I seem to remember there has been at least one thread here about problems with wobbling chucks on Ridgid drills. Not sure buying one of your listed 'premium' brands is a guarantee.

However, if I remember correctly, the problem is with the chuck, and not with the drill itself, so if you should have a problem, you could just buy a replacement chuck.

I know; warranty ... take it back. I've never noticed a problem with any of my drills (probably not looked close enough), but if I had a 'quality' problem on any tool, I would think twice about buying from them again. I don't care about a warranty, I want something I never have to worry about.

I used to buy US cars. 3 of 3 spent a lot of time in the shop. Often, and sometimes for a long time (5 weeks for a car with <1000 miles). All under Warranty. I now buy Japanese, Of my last 3 cars I think I took one in for a radio problem; otherwise nothing done under warranty (or out of warranty). the US cars were cheaper, but guess which I will buy next.

Comment

I have Makita, Bosch, Dewalt and notice that all of them are not perfectly true. Pisses me off.

J.C.

Comment

My older Milwaukee drills ,own 7, made in USA or Germany are perfect. The Ridgid drills, all 3, I own, have some runout.

Comment

I only have older drills and most are corded. The only problem I had was that one of them came with a cheepo chuck. That got replaced and no more troubles. I wonder if with the drills that do have this issue if it's just poor quality chucks, or if there is spindle wobble. I personally would buy a really good replacement chuck and try it. Then if there's still a problem, the tool would go off for repairs. Anymore it sure seems that tool companies are trying to save money and thus are junking up their products one way or another.

Note: The good replacement chuck would be removed any time the drill(s) go in for service. This way the repair shop never knows about it.
              Last edited by Woussko; 04-17-2008, 01:54 AM.

Comment

Tell me what you all think about Craftsman quality.

Comment

Craftsman quality is a gamble. They don't make powertools. They subcontract other companies and put their names on it. Their current cordless tools are made by TTI and most are virtually identical copies of Ryobi tools. That said those tools are a good value but not necessarily the most durable and best built. Certainly not the most powerful by any means. On the flip side I have some older Craftsman corded drills that rebranded dewalt drills and are still kicking 15 years later.

Comment

Working...
                  X