Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TS2400 - blade wobble?

Folks,

Got my TS2400...none of the stores in the SF bay area seem to carry the new 2410....didn't want to miss the instant rebate sale, so picked up the 2400.

The out of box experience is excellent - ZERO assembly!!! I simply opened the box and lifted the box up on to its side (so the saw was standing up on its support inside) and simply rolled the saw out of the box!

One quick question: if I hold the blade and shake it a bit (left and right), it moves...is that normal? it doesn't move too much....but just a little that you can feel it (but can't quite see it). i think the motor itself is moving, not the blade.

I havent' cut any wood, but did turn on the saw....it is quite noisy and when you turn it off, the blade stops quickly. I used to own a Ridgid 36xx and that thing was rock solid (no blade movement), it was quiet and on top of that when you turn the saw off, it takes a while for the blade to come to a stop.

Is this just an artifact of this being a direct drive vs the 36xx? Thanks for your response.

Other than this concern, I love what Ridgid has done with the saw...it is simply awesome. They have thought through every little thing...everything has a place to go!

And it passes the NICKEL test!!!

Cheers,
    Subbu

Re: TS2400 - blade wobble?

The stock blade isn't the best. Any blade will wiggle some depending on how hard you grab. I'd try cutting with it and see if you get a straight cut. That'll show if there's an arbor or bearing problem.

If you'll be making furniture, I'd consider buying a better blade.

Comment

Hewood,

In your saw, if you move the motor underneath does it move a little bit? It does on mine...I am not talking about blade flex, but minor movement of the motor. I'll try cutting, as you suggest to figure this out....it is a bit complicated at this point, as I need to make room for the saw in the tool closet before using it, don't want to store it inside the house with all that wood dust.

Subbu

Comment

The motor shouldn't move.

Comment

I took a quick look at my ts2400 and found a small amount of lateral blade movement (a few of thousands). I didn't take the zci off, so that certainly limited the amount of movement. Without doing an in depth investigation, I think this movement is motor armature axial movement. Such movement is not unusual in most electric motors (at least small motors), when they are at rest. Once the motor is turning, there are some significant magnetic forces (and probably some mechanical forces as well) that hold the armature in place.

I agree with the earlier comments about the stock blade. Possibly okay for rough work, but not for trim or furniture work. Search this form for a ton of info and opinions of saw blades for this saw.

I've had my ts2400 for several years and it does everything I've asked of it at a level above my personal skill level.
          Dick

Comment

Dick,

Many thanks for checking you saw.....if you wouldn't mind, can you grab the motor under the table and give it a small shake? My concern is not the blade moving but the *motor* moving slightly. (very slightly, but you can hear the rattle)

When wood is pushing through the blade, this will definitely make it wobble, if the motor isn't holding firm. The motor looks like it is held in place by a threaded rod and I am concerned the "nut" on the motor housing is not machined well for the thread....

I plan to go to HD tomorrow to try this on their display model....would be greatful for your input.

Sincerely,
            Subbu

Originally posted by Dick L View Post
            I took a quick look at my ts2400 and found a small amount of lateral blade movement (a few of thousands). I didn't take the zci off, so that certainly limited the amount of movement. Without doing an in depth investigation, I think this movement is motor armature axial movement. Such movement is not unusual in most electric motors (at least small motors), when they are at rest. Once the motor is turning, there are some significant magnetic forces (and probably some mechanical forces as well) that hold the armature in place.

I agree with the earlier comments about the stock blade. Possibly okay for rough work, but not for trim or furniture work. Search this form for a ton of info and opinions of saw blades for this saw.

I've had my ts2400 for several years and it does everything I've asked of it at a level above my personal skill level.

Comment

I did go back and check my saw for possible motion of the motor housing. When I shake the motor housing there is a slight movement (barely felt, 0.001"?) and the sound of some kind of motion. However, I did not detect any movement between the motor housing and the motor/blade carrier assembly. That seemed to be solid. I suspect the movement & sound were coming from elsewhere - the stand, or maybe somewhere within the height or bevel adjustment mechanisms.

Whatever this motion maybe, it definitely does not affect the accuracy or precision of the saw.

I hope this helps.
              Dick

Comment

Ah, maybe this is the answer. I was trolling through the manual for the saw (on line version) and found a reference (pg 40) to lateral saw blade movement. There is a nylon screw on one of the motor support rods. This screw can lock out lateral movement. Check the manual and try this fix. I think I'll look into doing it on my saw.
                Dick

Comment

BINGO!!! That was it! Dick, you saved me a lot of angst and the hassle of lugging this back to HD to exchange!! THank you so much.

The saw is now rock solid

Cheers,
                  Subbu

Originally posted by Dick L View Post
                  Ah, maybe this is the answer. I was trolling through the manual for the saw (on line version) and found a reference (pg 40) to lateral saw blade movement. There is a nylon screw on one of the motor support rods. This screw can lock out lateral movement. Check the manual and try this fix. I think I'll look into doing it on my saw.

Comment

Thanks for the info guys! I just got a TS2400 last week and I think it is a great saw. It cuts straight and true....but I have a bit of motor housing movement as well. I'll have to try the adjustment this week.

Comment

Working...
                    X