X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone own a Ryobi scroll saw?

I went into HD today to look at scroll saws and they had a huge selection of one to choose from...the Ryobi SC164VS. Anyone here own one of these and what are your thoughts?

Compared to the Dremel and Craftsman I looked at the Ryobi looked light weight. Is vibration going to be an issue with this saw? I don't want to spend much as I probably won't use it a whole lot, but I also don't want a tool that going to sit there and not get used because it can't make simple smooth cuts. I'm looking for an inexpensive saw, not a cheap saw if you know what I mean.

Any feedback most appreciated. Thanks

Re: Anyone own a Ryobi scroll saw?

I have the Ryobi 18-inch, SC180VS which I bought on close-out in Dec, 2003. It's a fairly decent scroll saw, but certainly not on the level as the much more expensive units like a Helger. Personally I feel it's a pretty decent unit, but I think Home Depot dropped it as it was too much competition for the Dremel which was priced almost a $100 higher. The SC180VS is currently being sold wearing the Craftsman brand. It's priced at $199, catalog # 0921609.

The smaller 16-inch Ryobi has less features, but my understanding is that it's still a pretty decent tool for the price. The only negative that I've read is that the blade clamps can be a bit touchy and may be stripped if you overtighten the clamp screws. This was some time ago, so I don't know it the problem has been remedied or if it was just something that happened due to some heavy-handedness by the user.

You might want to just give it a try, with the idea that you can return it if there's something you don't like. For the occasional user, it might just be fine. Ryobi does have a 30-day, Satisfaction Guarantee... so if you bring it home and it doesn't live up to your expectation, just pack it back up and return it.

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Thanks for the information CW. I just might give it a try as you suggest.

Another question to you or anyone else. Are there blades available that allow you to cut any direction without having to turn the work piece? I took a peek at what was stocked but didn't see anything. Does such a blade exist and what would it be called?

Thanks again

Comment

Pogster,

I believe they are called "spiral" blades. I've never used them. I'm not much of a scroll saw user at this point in time, having only played around a bit when time allowed. Hopefully the future will be better and I'll have more time for such things.

Here's a great website and source for blades of all types. Fantastic prices when compared to what you will pay locally too. Check out http://www.mikesworkshop.com/index.htm I'm sure you will be delighted with the quality, price, and service.

CWS

Comment

Working...
        X