Chain Saw Recomendation.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Chain Saw Recomendation.

Good point about the Stabil or any other brand fuel stabilizer - keep it mixed with ANY of your fuel, either 2 or 4 cycle. I used to be concerned with running it through my machines before putting them away for the winter - much better idea to keep some in your gas can(s) each time you fill them. A few bucks can save you a lot of hassles down the road.
    I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

In case you buy a new STIHL, please get their version of Stabil which I find to be a great product for all mixed and non mixed gasoline. Their 2 cycle oil is tops in quality as is their bar & chain oil. By using their products you can help avoid any warranty problems just in case you need to file a claim sometime. I have found the real Sta-Bil to be very good, but some of the other brands to be pretty worthless. I must warn you that they really stink and stain things so handle with care. Use a little more than recommended. In fact the tech sheets for Sta-Bil recommend 2 times dose if used in non mixed gasoline like for a generator or lawnmower, but for mixed oil-gasoline only use the recommend dose. Get a mixing shot glass measuring cup from Walmart or such as they really help with getting the mix just right. As for STIHL, I recommend the small bottles where you mix one (let it drain all out) to 1 gallon of 89 plus (not 87 regular) gasoline. Please everyone, do not use 87 regular with high quality 2 cycle engines using a 50:1 fuel mix. They will pre-ignite and over time there can be engine damages. Go for Plus 89 gasoline.

Comment

I use 91 grade premium for my stuff. And as I noted before, try and find yourself a synthetic mix and a semi-synthetic chain oil. I believe both Stihl and Husky semi-synthetic mix oil is made by Texaco. Still, a full synthetic is better in my opinion, at an 80 to 1 ratio you can use the same mix in all your 2 cycle stuff without having to worry about different mix ratios in the chain saw, weed whacker, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
          I use 91 grade premium for my stuff. And as I noted before, try and find yourself a synthetic mix and a semi-synthetic chain oil. I believe both Stihl and Husky semi-synthetic mix oil is made by Texaco. Still, a full synthetic is better in my opinion, at an 80 to 1 ratio you can use the same mix in all your 2 cycle stuff without having to worry about different mix ratios in the chain saw, weed whacker, etc.
          I've been using Amsoil 2cycle mix in all my machines for over 10 years. The ratio is 100 to 1 and there is virtually no smoking or fouling, I have not see any damage to any of my equipment and all of them are still running fine. Amazing stuff. I still use Stabil, mixed into my gas cans when I purchase the gasoline (regular) but I do not keep my chainsaws filled anymore. They are used so infrequently that I would rather keep them dry and just add a little premix when I need them. Only a few years ago the mention of synthetic 2 cycle would draw jeers, but now it is widely accepted. The Amsoil stuff is top shelf in my opinion.

Comment

I have pretty much decided to go with the MC280. Not going to get the quick adjustment though, for one, they didnt have any instock (except a 210 and 250 model) and for the extra 20 some dollars for the option, I'll break out the wrench and screw driver. I did look at the 290, but its getting out of the price range I want to spend.

Do you guys know if you can use the Oregon bars/chains on the Stihl saws? I happen to have a brand new 20" blade and chain in the garage that I had bought a few years ago when I borrowed my dads Poulan but it wasnt the right size.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
              I've been using Amsoil 2cycle mix in all my machines for over 10 years. The ratio is 100 to 1 and there is virtually no smoking or fouling, I have not see any damage to any of my equipment and all of them are still running fine. Amazing stuff. I still use Stabil, mixed into my gas cans when I purchase the gasoline (regular) but I do not keep my chainsaws filled anymore. They are used so infrequently that I would rather keep them dry and just add a little premix when I need them. Only a few years ago the mention of synthetic 2 cycle would draw jeers, but now it is widely accepted. The Amsoil stuff is top shelf in my opinion.
              Frankie......you're a wild man.....I'm probably somewhere between 80 to 1 and 100 to 1. The old weed whacker used to smoke like a chimney before the synthetic. No smoke now.......

Comment

Originally posted by tinmack View Post
                Frankie......you're a wild man.....I'm probably somewhere between 80 to 1 and 100 to 1. The old weed whacker used to smoke like a chimney before the synthetic. No smoke now.......
                Tinmack, I'm wild man? Every time I see poor old Nick's bad picture I'm reminded not to drink That picture's a killer! Seriously though I first used the Amsoil in my old at the time pro homelites and then in a new back pack blower and weed wacker. No more three or four different cans of varying mix rates and I have to admit I was nervous at the 100 to one ratio. Here it is years later and all those 2 cycle motors are still running like new, it's really impressive. I had to stop using the Amsoil motor oil in my cars, it was just too expensive. Now there are plenty of synthetics to choose from and I don't drive near as much anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                  Tinmack, I'm wild man? Every time I see poor old Nick's bad picture I'm reminded not to drink That picture's a killer! Seriously though I first used the Amsoil in my old at the time pro homelites and then in a new back pack blower and weed wacker. No more three or four different cans of varying mix rates and I have to admit I was nervous at the 100 to one ratio. Here it is years later and all those 2 cycle motors are still running like new, it's really impressive. I had to stop using the Amsoil motor oil in my cars, it was just too expensive. Now there are plenty of synthetics to choose from and I don't drive near as much anyway.
                  I agree Frankie, the Amsoil stuff is awesome. I think the weed whacker is 30 to 1 and the chain saw is 50 to 1, so the one mix ratio for both of them is very handy. The water resistant synthetic grease is nice and so is the fogging oil. As far as the oil for the car goes, 25000 miles or one year is pretty phenomenal - you must drive enough to incur at least two regular oil changes. At that, the Amsoil would still be a better buy....and it's a TRUE synthetic, not just a highly refined dino oil.

Regardless, mow on, Frankie.....well, as soon as the grass grows enough anyway...........

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                    I have pretty much decided to go with the MC280. Not going to get the quick adjustment though, for one, they didnt have any instock (except a 210 and 250 model) and for the extra 20 some dollars for the option, I'll break out the wrench and screw driver. I did look at the 290, but its getting out of the price range I want to spend.

Do you guys know if you can use the Oregon bars/chains on the Stihl saws? I happen to have a brand new 20" blade and chain in the garage that I had bought a few years ago when I borrowed my dads Poulan but it wasnt the right size.
                    Oregon does make chains and bars that fit Sthl. However, the ones that fit the Poulan are not the ones that fit the Stihl. Chains are different as the shape of the drive sprocket teeth are different, so the inside profile of the chain doesn't match. Poulan has one or more added links per given bar length also, and the slot in the bars are of different widths. Oregon makes two different chains for the Stihl: One is for the .325 link and the other is for the .375 (3/8). If you get their chains, make sure the number of links match for the drive sprocket you have. The 280 will probably come with the .325 chain, but check with the dealer to make sure.
                    Altho it doesn't sound like much size difference, a 16" .325 chain has 69 links, and is a heavier guage (.068") and a 16" .375 chain has 55 links and a .050" gauge. so you need to match chain, bar and sprocket.

Go
                    Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Picked up a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss today.... I like it alot! Looking forward to hacking down a bunch of dead trees and cleaning up the live trees. I was tossing around the 280 or 260, but finally decided on the 290. I trimmed up a couple apple trees tonight, and wow, very nice! Got it for $340.00 out the door!
                      Last edited by Alphacowboy; 05-18-2008, 11:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Alphacowboy View Post
                        Picked up a Stihl MS290 Farm Boss today.... I like it alot! Looking forward to hacking down a bunch of dead trees and cleaning up the live trees. I was tossing around the 280 or 260, but finally decided on the 290. I trimmed up a couple apple trees tonight, and wow, very nice! Got it for $340.00 out the door!
                        I know you put a lot of thought into this purchase and I'm glad you didn't go too small. The power will justify the extra investment. Best of luck and please let us know how it holds up.

Comment

The MS290 should serve him well. Do please look into an extra chain or two for it. Having just one chain is a pain when it needs to be sharpened and you're in the middle of a cutting project.

Comment

if the budget would allow i would also suggest an extra bar to go along with an extra chain, simply because if you ever get the saw bound up you can just unbolt the bar and leave it in the wood and use the spare to cut it out.
                            but as woussko said do atleast get a 2nd chain you will need it.

Comment

I have two Stihl's have lot's a maple to cut through... I first bought the 270 about a year ago. What a nice saw... powerful and easy to handle (I am about 200lbs) 25 inch bar and I think this may be the perfect saw for me... enough power to cut anything, and the bar is pretty close to all I need. No problems... I just replaced the chain... the original stretched beyond the limit of the adjuster... I think I might have been cutting it too fast or something... but it is a great saw otherwise.

This year I bought a 390 because I have some BIG maples to get through that have been down for about 6 months so they are drying... the saw is just starting to break in and come into its own. I like it but it is a bit of an ordeal packing it around all day. Lot'sa power but not happy with the chain on it... it has the conventional adjusters and that is fine but the saw has always cut to the right... I have sharpened it and have corrected most of it but it is still there... It must have had a problem in the original sharpening process. I think I am going to replace the chain and go from there...

No problems with either saw yet, other that very minor oil leak from the chain oil cap on the 270 and the 390 was a bit doggy at first (longer bar + BIGGer trees) but getting a lot better lately. I wouldn't buy anything else now... I also have a Stihl weed whacker, it is great too.

Comment

Originally posted by csteve25 View Post
                                I have two Stihl's have lot's a maple to cut through... I first bought the 270 about a year ago. What a nice saw... powerful and easy to handle (I am about 200lbs) 25 inch bar and I think this may be the perfect saw for me... enough power to cut anything, and the bar is pretty close to all I need. No problems... I just replaced the chain... the original stretched beyond the limit of the adjuster... I think I might have been cutting it too fast or something... but it is a great saw otherwise.

This year I bought a 390 because I have some BIG maples to get through that have been down for about 6 months so they are drying... the saw is just starting to break in and come into its own. I like it but it is a bit of an ordeal packing it around all day. Lot'sa power but not happy with the chain on it... it has the conventional adjusters and that is fine but the saw has always cut to the right... I have sharpened it and have corrected most of it but it is still there... It must have had a problem in the original sharpening process. I think I am going to replace the chain and go from there...

No problems with either saw yet, other that very minor oil leak from the chain oil cap on the 270 and the 390 was a bit doggy at first (longer bar + BIGGer trees) but getting a lot better lately. I wouldn't buy anything else now... I also have a Stihl weed whacker, it is great too.
                                Welcome to the Forum. How are you sharpening your chains? Do you flip your bar?

Comment

Working...
                                X