Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Advice, please?

hello, folks.

i am an 'almost' beginner. i had some woodworking shops/classes back in school(so, so long ago) and i did a moderate amount of carpentry while in the Navy and also the usual diy homeowner things over the years. i have been creating a workshop in my basement. i built two benches and have a large office-type butcher-block desk. i have equipped it with the various hand tools and also have a router table, 2 routers, 12" bandsaw, 16" scrollsaw, and a small drillpress. i made a big mistake when i purchased a benchtop tablesaw. the item i bought it a total piece of do-do. i am looking to buy another. the offerings confuse me to no end but i have decided on the Rigid TS3650. so...am i making a wise choice? is this too much saw for me? there are so many specs about it that seem incredible to me and the warranty is incredible. the price, while a bit 'up there' for me and my smaller shop but i have no problem spending that much. i am not a younger person these day, at 53....so please advise me as to my decision and if i am going too far. and help and/or recommendations would be greatly appreciated. thank you so much for your time. i forgot--i have a 10" miter saw, also

Re: Advice, please?

I'll let the experts to chime in... but unless there is a limitation on space, majority (if not all) will recommend contractor-grade saws -- 3650 is one of those saws AND with an unbeatable value.

Due to space limitation , I have to settle with a TS2400

Edit: I meant to say "cabinet saw", not "contractor-grade"
    Last edited by Wagon Man; 04-29-2008, 12:03 AM.

Comment

I was in the same boat. I found the 3650 on sale for $449, I then opened a Home Depot account which brought the price down to $419. I couldn't pass it up. I just finished assembling the saw and I am very impressed. The Herculift makes it easy to roll around your shop. I was just at HD today and they now have the 3660 on sale for $449. Go for it you won't be disappointed!

Comment

From what you describe you have in the way of tools and have done already, I don't think you would be well-served by less than the 3650. The 2400/ Dewalt and Bosch contractor saws on a stand will offer much better quality than a cheaper tabletop, but size wise they aren't too much different. The trade-off for the more compact/portable design is work piece support, width capability, noise and longevity.
        If you have the room, I do not think you will get more capability or better accuracy for the dollar. If you can afford the $$, can have a saw that sits in one place, and have 220v power, then a cabinet saw may be the ticket, but it will be a bear to get it into a basement.
        I am 60, bought the TS3650 when I was 58, and had similar tools and experience when I bought it. I do not know why I waited so long!! It will not be "too much" for you. You will be surprised at how much easier and safer it is to do a lot of things with it, and how much quieter and user friendly it is compared to using a smaller saw.

Of course, that's after you get it assembled and adjusted!! (Just kidding. Please read the thread on the TS3650 assembly tips and it should be no sweat)

Go

PS. Take it out of the box and move into the basement in pieces before assembly. You may want a friend or a hand truck for moving the main saw/table assy down any stairs altho you can slide it down in the box AFTER removing the cast iron wings, legs, etc to lighten the load.
        Last edited by Gofor; 04-28-2008, 08:54 PM.
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

thank you!!
          the sale must be a local thing for you...it is still the same 549 at the hd here.

i know i really like the looks and everything else about it so i will get it!!

..edit...sorry--i just looked and i see a 3660 here as a NEW item, but the HD online only lists the 3650. is there much, if any, difference? (besides 100 bucks off?......lol)
          Last edited by kxstewart; 04-28-2008, 09:02 PM.

Comment

If you get the 3650 / 3660 you will be very satisfied. It is priced right, well built, simple, safe, stable, and comes with a portable stand. An excellent value. I love my 3660!

Good luck.

Dave

Comment

Originally posted by kxstewart View Post
              thank you!!
              the sale must be a local thing for you...it is still the same 549 at the hd here.

i know i really like the looks and everything else about it so i will get it!!

..edit...sorry--i just looked and i see a 3660 here as a NEW item, but the HD online only lists the 3650. is there much, if any, difference? (besides 100 bucks off?......lol)

The 3650 and 3660 are the same saw specifications-wise. The 3660 its the newer model and have improved legs support.Otherwise they are identical.Besides the 3650 comes in 2 boxes (one for the saw and another longer one for the rails), but the 3660 brings everything in one box, so if you get the 3660 dont ask the HD guy to get you the rails because they are already in the box. As Go said, try to get help to mode the box(300 pounds) and if carrying in the basement go piece by piece(carefull with the wings,they are very heavy).Its a great ,solid and in my case vibration free saw at a great price(got it in march at the Ridgid sale at 467.00 less tax).Happy sawing.

PD The 3660 is not yet in the HD website as well as the r4330 planer.

Comment

There's no such thing as too much saw. bigger is always better
                sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by NHMaster3015 View Post
                  There's no such thing as too much saw. bigger is always better
                  Simple and to the point. Take this man's advice and get the most you can afford rather than having to spend more money in the future.

Comment

Even though your needs right now might be modest, as you gain more experience and undertake more complicated and/or larger projects, the point will come that you wish your saw had more capacity / more support / more power. That time (I guarantee, not too far in the future) is when you'll be be thankful you bought the TS3650. It has an awesome built-in mobile base, which means you can easily rearrange if needed in your small shop.

Frankly, it sounds like you have a lot of space taken up workbenches. You *might* be better served by moving one workbench to another area for dedicated assembly purposes and having room for the 3650. I use mine for assembly in my very small shop when necessary. But I'm always appreciative that it's large enough for sheet goods, long rips, etc...

Comment

a GREAT thanks and tip-o-the hat to all for the help and attention..it is so nice to find so many willing to offer their knowledge to one without!!

as for the basement deal. it will ne NO problem at all. my home has a one-car garage that is attached to the front and, genious thet the previous owner was, the wall separating it from the basement was made into a full size door hinges at top with a standard door built in. so, in summer or anytime of year i need the room, the whole deal is lifted up and hung from a hook at the ceiling. when the auto needs work in cold weather, i lift it, drive into the basement, close it and have a warmer place to do what i have to so moving the saw in will be no problem at all...except for the weight thing!!!

thanks again, friendly craftsmen!!!

Comment

sorry for bein a PITA.

anyone have a UPC # for the 3660?

MY HD person don't have a clue saying there is nothing she can find on it but if i give her a UPC she can look it up. they only have the 3650 (and a display model only...NONE in stock..said they never did and never sold one b4)

thanks.

ks

Comment

Originally posted by kxstewart View Post
                          sorry for bein a PITA.

anyone have a UPC # for the 3660?

MY HD person don't have a clue saying there is nothing she can find on it but if i give her a UPC she can look it up. they only have the 3650 (and a display model only...NONE in stock..said they never did and never sold one b4)

thanks.

ks
                          If they don't have any in stock, seems like they are never going to sell one.

I think the SKUs are the same for the 3650 and 3660. The website says it is
                          Store SKU# 105495. I would try calling one of the other HDs and talking to someone in their hardware department, they should be able to tell you if they have it in stock over the phone.

Comment

I DID IT!!!!

called around..found a HD that had three 3660's. no way shape or form was i ready for this saw..too much to do yet in getting everything together and ready. BUT.....when the man said the $100 bucks off sale ends at 10PM today..i jumped in the truck and drove the 45 miles.

so i am now a proud TS3660 owner and i have all you good people here to thank. thanks for all the good info and encouragement.

i HAD to mess with them a little...

when he wheeled it out to me i looked and made my eyes real big and said..wow, i don't think THAT is gonna fit in the back of my cavalier.....lol

Comment

Congrat!!!! Enjoy the "ultimate sawing machine"

Comment

Working...
                              X