Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some help keeping my blade on...?

I have a new Ridgid Miter Saw.

For some reason, the blade is loosening after about 8 cuts. Basically, when I release the blade trigger, the blade doesn't stop... but spins at a high rate of speed for about 1 minute (making a high whining sound). I consequently, loosen the shield screw... depress the blade lock and then tighten the blade bolt with an allan wrench.

I do have the laser on the blade... which replaced the silver mounting piece on the right side of the blade (Correct???).

Anyone with any advice... please help!

Thanks.

Re: Need some help keeping my blade on...?

Did you use the different screw that came with the laser? I can't remember the difference, but I used the one that came in the little bag with the laser.

Comment

I did use the different screw....

Am I right in thinking that the laser replaces that left side clamping piece??

This is definitely strange... but is scaring the daylights out of me....

Just to confirm the steps:

1) unscrew guard

2)leave right side silver piece on shaft

3) put on blade (obviously teeth in right direction)

4) put on laser.

5) Depress the blade lock button on right side of blade

6) Tighten with allan wrench.

Comment

Try taking the laser off and remount the original washer that came with the saw. If that solves your problem then I'd say you're not mounting the laser incorrectly. If the blade is still in free spinning mode after putting it back the way it came from the factory then I'd say you got a bad one and you should return it for another one.
        Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

Sounds right to me.
          The first time I tired it, the blade came loose after just turning the saw on once.
          What I found was that the shaft has two flat surfaces. If both the right and left clamping pieces (or the laser deal for the left) doesn't line up properly and seat on those flats, then the screw will get tight, but the blade will be loose. I didn't even get one cut, though before that happened to me.

Comment

Wait.... you're saying that happened to you.

Just to make sure I'm clear... you're saying that your blade wouldn't lock and you had to return it for a new one????

Thanks for all the input.

regards,
            tsand73

Comment

You mean me?
              No, I'm saying the first time I put everything together and tried to use it, the blade just spun (like you're describing)
              I took the bolt and the laser guide off and found that the right side clamp was not lined up correctly on the flats of the shaft. Once I corrected that, everything was fine.

Comment

Hi,

Use some Loctite® Threadlocker Blue on the threads. http://www.loctiteproducts.com/produ...id=48&plid=153

Locks threaded fasteners against vibration loosening
                Ideal for nut and bolt applications 1/4" to 3/4" (6mm to 20mm)
                Prevents threads from rusting and leaking
                Removable with hand tools for easy disassembly

Or try some Teflon Tape on the threads.

Krazy

Comment

Originally posted by Kneescar View Post
                  You mean me?
                  No, I'm saying the first time I put everything together and tried to use it, the blade just spun (like you're describing)
                  I took the bolt and the laser guide off and found that the right side clamp was not lined up correctly on the flats of the shaft. Once I corrected that, everything was fine.
                  I did... sorry I wasn't more specific.

I guess I need to take it apart and make sure these piece are all properly aligned.

I have to say... it's a little freaky to have a sharp blade get out of control (after being in control for several cuts).

Thanks again.

Comment

Working...
                  X