X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Squeeling 12" miter saw

Well this is the second 12" Ridgid saw that is squeeling SUPER LOUD on start up. I took the first one back now this one is worse. Is there some sort of adjustment? Anyone experience this?

By the way, "hello", it's my first post, just found your site.

Re: Squeeling 12" miter saw

Mine does the same thing. It is very annoying. I am interested in hearing how to fix this.

Charles

Comment

Saw this post a few days ago and assumed someone who knew the answer would respond. We have a Ridgid 12" compound miter saw and it has squeeled when cold since new(over a year and a half). One of the guys in our shop checked it out and said it is the belt and there is no adjustment. So far it has not been irritating enough for anyone to go further with the issue.
      Can anyone help these guys?

Comment

I blow out the area with compressed air, the shoot it (the belt)with WD-40. I have used mine at 40 below, with a slight squeal, but with a little bit warmer weather (10 below) or I get the belt warm enough, no sound. Eventually, you'll need to do it again.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
          Saw this post a few days ago and assumed someone who knew the answer would respond. We have a Ridgid 12" compound miter saw and it has squeeled when cold since new(over a year and a half). One of the guys in our shop checked it out and said it is the belt and there is no adjustment. So far it has not been irritating enough for anyone to go further with the issue.
          Can anyone help these guys?
          Does yours squeel all the time or just at start up. Mine is at start up. Man I mean to tell you it's loud. In fact your ears ring after using it once.

Comment

Originally posted by totallysick View Post
            Does yours squeel all the time or just at start up. Mine is at start up. Man I mean to tell you it's loud. In fact your ears ring after using it once.
            You can also try running it for 3-5 minutes, seriously. Get that belt totally warmed up and it'll stretch out some...

Most of the time, we hit the trigger and never let it run for more then 5-10 seconds.
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

I should also add, take your belt off and make sure no squealing is happening then.....

Comment

The 1290LZ 12" slider has a belt tension adjustment.
                It's on page 43 in the manual.

Comment

The problem withj the 12" Miter saw is the same as a squeeling fan belt in your car. The belt is loose. Just loosen the the motor screws off a little and tighten it up a little and that will fix the problem

Comment

On mine there is a set screw in the back to loosen or tighten the tension.
                    But you got to make sure the motor mounting bolts are loose.
                    If you just try to tighten the set screw with the mounting bolts tight
                    the set screw will strip out.

It fixed the problem with my saw for awhile but it starting to do it
                    again. I may look into getting link belt if it gets any worse.

I wonder if belt dressing might work? ...humm....
                    Last edited by Davet; 05-08-2008, 01:17 PM.

Comment

That is weird my DW706 has a belt drive and is over 10y.o. quite a bit of use and never had any of these issues. It has a cog belt . What type of belt is it?

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
                        On mine there is a set screw in the back to loosen or tighten the tension.
                        But you got to make sure the motor mounting bolts are loose.
                        If you just try to tighten the set screw with the mounting bolts tight
                        the set screw will strip out.

It fixed the problem with my saw for awhile but it starting to do it
                        again. I may look into getting link belt if it gets any worse.

I wonder if belt dressing might work? ...humm....
                        I was told one of the guys in our shop had tried adjusting the tension and after that failed to stop the squeeling he sprayed belt dressing on it and that worked.

Comment

Working...
                        X