X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Planer Snipe

I am having trouble with my 13" Ridgid Planer. I have changed the blades, and completely supported the stock entering and exiting the planer. I am still getting snipe at the end of the stock, it feels like the stock is jumping near the end of it. Is there any way to adjust the paner so this doesn't happen? I don't know what else to do.

Re: Planer Snipe

You say that the stock is completely supported but have you checked to make sure that it is supported properly? Take a long straight edge that you know for a fact is straight and lay it through the planer. The straight edge should be perfectly flat from end to end. If you've done that and you still are getting some snipe, try raising the outfeed side up about 1/32" and see if that doesn't fix it. You may have to play around with the amount you raise the outfeed until you get it tuned to where you want it.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I also lift slightly on the stock as it exits the planer especially on longer pieces

Comment

The snipe happens when the first feed roller comes off the end of the board, dropping down some. (It has to have downward pressure to provide friction to pull the boards through). Raising the board a tad as it exits works once you get the feel for how much. Raising the outside edge of the outfeed table works for short pieces. Taking very light cuts as you near your desired thickness will also greatly minimize snipe. That way there is less pressure on the rollers, so the first one moves very little when it comes off the board.

If the board is narrow enough to feed a scrap board beside it and trailing it some, the scrap board will prevent the roller from dropping and eliminate snipe on the first board. Just remember to run the scrap board through every time you run your work piece. If I am running a set of narrower boards (ie cabinet door rails, stiles, etc) I feed them through offset, and always run at least one extra rail and stile in case I mess one up. The extra one is the last board in the line up, so if snipe happens, it is on that piece and I put the snipe to the inside of the door if I need to use it.

For wider boards, you can run a piece of scrap keeping it butted against the end of the first board as it passes under the rollers. (It helps if the ends are square) Just make sure the scrap piece is long enough to safely run through the machine (12"+).

Also, when possible, leaving extra length on the boards to allow cutting off any snipe is another method of dealing with it, but is often impractical and may be expensive (depending on the wood).

Just some different ways of dealing with snipe. Hope this helps

Go
        Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
        X