Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Sliding MS Need input

Hi Guys

I am pricing a new sliding miter saw for my site. I am building a 10 story condo project that is primarily steel studs. I need the MS for all the blocking that needs to be installed. I am pricing Ridgid, Bosch and Dewalt. Any comments would be appreciated. As my guys will be hauling it around from floor to floor weight could be an issue. Durability also an issue. Let me know your thoughts please.

Re: New Sliding MS Need input

Wheres the elevator, how can you put your guys threw all that climbing. Time is money.

Serious note, can't tell you about comparison, other then I did a lot of reading threw many forums and magazine. I had to try Ridgid after my research. And I have never had a problem with my saw, works wonderful, even at 40 below zero. There will always be many people who will bash down each and every brand, because not every tool will come off the assembly line 100% perfect. So if we happen to get a bad one, we try to get it corrected.

I like my saw and stand. I use my saw almost every single day, the only thing I have ever done with it, is cleaned it.

I have the 12" double compound miter slider from Ridgid Heaven. I'm also going to buy me a dust catcher, that Ridgid doesn't sell yet. Check it out, I do know
    of someone who owns one and he ranks it very high for doing what its suppose to....

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Chopsh...=1EZI9OBAB7ZI8
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
      Wheres the elevator, how can you put your guys threw all that climbing. Time is money.

Serious note, can't tell you about comparison, other then I did a lot of reading threw many forums and magazine. I had to try Ridgid after my research. And I have never had a problem with my saw, works wonderful, even at 40 below zero. There will always be many people who will bash down each and every brand, because not every tool will come off the assembly line 100% perfect. So if we happen to get a bad one, we try to get it corrected.

I like my saw and stand. I use my saw almost every single day, the only thing I have ever done with it, is cleaned it.

I have the 12" double compound miter slider from Ridgid Heaven. I'm also going to buy me a dust catcher, that Ridgid doesn't sell yet. Check it out, I do know
      of someone who owns one and he ranks it very high for doing what its suppose to....

http://www.amazon.com/FastCap-Chopsh...=1EZI9OBAB7ZI8
      Thanks Garager, I was taking a serious look at the Ridgid as the price is great and I have several of their tools that have served me well. One of my suppliers is having a big one day tool sale, so I wanted to get as much info as possible on the 3 brands to see which would be the best buy. I am limiting myself to these 3 brands as I have found them to be reliable and the support structure is pretty good for repairs.
      Eleveator can not go in until the roof is on, by then my steel studs and rough ins will only be a floor or 2 behind. I will have a material + tool hoist but yes the men will be getting some exercise.
      I like the concept of the dust catcher and I am going to try it next time I set up in the shop for multiple cutting. Think I will just rig something out of conduit and have my wife make a cover just to see how it works, It seems to me that you could probably hook up a dust collector to the bottom. It would not get it all but it would probably set up a flow of air that would capture quite a bit of the dust. Thanks for the tip.

Comment

Great thing about the DeWalt is the 16" cross cut capactiy which we used very often. I believe it is also about 15-17lbs. lighter than the Ridgid unit which might come in handy for your guys. I have also heard of guys who have worn out the miter plate on the Ridgid since it is not stainless like the Dewalt and we all know it is at times difficult to get replacement parts from Ridgid or even good custoemr service.

Comment

Well I bought a ridgid sliding duel bevel MS c/w the MSUV, it was slightly used. By slightly I mean the knobs still had the plastic on them and the writing on the blade was only a little smudged. Price believe it or not was $401. I bought this for my shop at home. Still looking for a good won for my men. I was considering the 8 1/4" dewalt sliding MS. Has any one used one. It is listed as 42 lbs and the most they should be cutting is 2 x 8.

Comment

Ok Gentlemen I am down to the fine strokes. I am either buying a 8 1/4" Dewalt DW712 or the 7 1/2" Makita LSO714. As I am only cutting 2 x 8's largest both will do the job. I have service outlets for both tools here in town. I am leaning towards the Makita only because it is only 27 lbs as opposed to 43 lbs for the Dewalt, I am thinking of my guys backs. Any users out there that have used either one. The Ridgid and Dewalt 10" are not a sliding saw so they are limited and alot heavier.

Comment

You still want some stability with your saw, weight that is. And you'll never know when that bigger blade will come in handy. But no matter what, a slider is superior as far as I'm concern. The only time I use a chop saw is to cut up PVC and metal/vinyl trim for siding. But then again, I'm not the guy that has to lug it around. I hope this was of some help, you really should ask your workers what they would like to see on the job site, then go from there.

They will probably say, get that damn elevator in, first....
              Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Both are sliders and within the price range. But I have not heard from anyone that has used one. I guess it make sense, not to many "men" would intentionally buy a smaller saw, It sort of goes against the grain. But yes I have discussed this with my men. I have made them a part of the search. They have both used the bigger 10 and 12" machines, but you have to understand we are cutting backing for steel studs. 15 7/8" repetitive cuts c/w a kerf cut 1/8" at both ends and 1 1/16" in' for the flange of the steel studs, about 7 lifts of 14' material. First jag is easy they can set up and cut them by the lift, palletize and I will crane them up. After that they have to set up in each of the units to fit the odd pieces. The elevator will be ready a little after all the backing is finished. You know what schedule is like.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboo View Post
                  Both are sliders and within the price range. But I have not heard from anyone that has used one. I guess it make sense, not to many "men" would intentionally buy a smaller saw, It sort of goes against the grain. But yes I have discussed this with my men. I have made them a part of the search. They have both used the bigger 10 and 12" machines, but you have to understand we are cutting backing for steel studs. 15 7/8" repetitive cuts c/w a kerf cut 1/8" at both ends and 1 1/16" in' for the flange of the steel studs, about 7 lifts of 14' material. First jag is easy they can set up and cut them by the lift, palletize and I will crane them up. After that they have to set up in each of the units to fit the odd pieces. The elevator will be ready a little after all the backing is finished. You know what schedule is like.
                  8 1/4" Dewalt DW712: on the off chance you have a Lowes near you, this model was recently clearanced by them...around me it dropped as low as US $119.20. Just a random thought.

Comment

That's a great thought Atom 12 but I live in Winnipeg, Cananda. No there is not a Lowes here but I wish there was. I have just priced it out and the 8 1/4" Dewalt best price is $590.00.

Comment

It sounds like might’ve already ruled it out, but I wanted to weigh in for others perusing this thread.

I’ve had the Bosch 4410L SCMS for over a year now, and used it a lot… and I love it. I’m still using the stock Bosch blade, although I’ve given it a good cleaning once. It cuts as well as my TS crosscut blade, leaving nice smooth ends with minimal splintering. I find it completely satisfactory for door and window trim installations. I also use it for outdoor furniture construction, and it handles 4x4s and 2x6s with aplomb. I originally got it with deck construction in mind, which should happen this summer, because of all the 2x10 and 2x12s I’ll be cutting.

The up-front controls really are a huge benefit, as I seem to be always changing miter angles or bevels throughout any given project. It takes just seconds, and doesn’t require any weird contortions, bending, or crouching. Whilst it also seems trivial, the adjustable handle is great, as I’ve found it extremely comfortable with it at the 45-degree setting. Vertical is odd to me; horizontal is OK, but not as comfortable as the angle… The built in table extensions are OK, but since I have it mounted to a MSUV they don’t get much use. Finally, the tall fence is great, especially with tall stock, and especially for crown molding. This is what sold me over the Makita 1013LS… that thing’s fence is just embarrassing.

Dust collection is just as good as most other miter saws… which is to say, it isn’t great.
                      Garager: Thanks, so much, for linking that Chopsaw hood thing. I can’t see spending $150 for it, but I think I can build one for cheap using 1” PVC pipes and a tarp. Oh man, I could’ve used that this weekend making kiddie picnic tables outside. Breeze kept throwing the cedar dust all over the place (and me!). Seeing that link photo immediately turned a bulb on for me, but I never would’ve thought of it myself. I hate when that happens!

Comment

Thanks for the input wood junkie. I checked that saw out and although it is a great saw it weighs in at 50 lbs. If you read the rest of the thread you will know why it need to be as light as possible.

Comment

Well guys I bought my men a 10" sliding MS. Anchor products was having a Dewalt day and I went down basically see if they would have the 8 1/4 set up so that I could look at it. The rep asked me why I wanted the smaller saw and he asked me why I didn't but the 10" SMS. I said because Dewalt does not make one. Guess what, they are introducing a 10" SMS and it will be released here in Canada before the end of June. That's pretty well when I will need it. It weighs only 35 lbs. cost me $10 less than I was quoted on the 8 1/4" which weighs 54 lbs. It seems like a win win to me. I purchased the saw and got the Dewalt days gift pack to boot. Thanks for the input guys.

Comment

Originally posted by Faboo View Post
                            Well guys I bought my men a 10" sliding MS. Anchor products was having a Dewalt day and I went down basically see if they would have the 8 1/4 set up so that I could look at it. The rep asked me why I wanted the smaller saw and he asked me why I didn't but the 10" SMS. I said because Dewalt does not make one. Guess what, they are introducing a 10" SMS and it will be released here in Canada before the end of June. That's pretty well when I will need it. It weighs only 35 lbs. cost me $10 less than I was quoted on the 8 1/4" which weighs 54 lbs. It seems like a win win to me. I purchased the saw and got the Dewalt days gift pack to boot. Thanks for the input guys.

Tool weight is 43 lbs. on the DW712.
                            http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...productID=6058

That 10" saw is going to be made in Mexico or China and weighing less is not really a plus if they are cheap in the build. My DW712 is excellent and made in Italy. I paid $160 on a Lowe's clearance. I have a Makita LS1013L, made in the USA, which is large that I keep in the shop, again excellent saw, I do not like the fence as it is too low for crown mld. and do not slide like other saws.. I use my DW706[older made in USA] with crown stops and tall adj. fences for mld.The DW718 is not a great of a saw and is generally disliked over the older DW708.
                            If the build of the new 10" saw is like the DW718 I would not want it.I tried 2 different 718's and neither could cut straight in the slide, fences were not true , overall the build was poor, the laser was worthless.I bought the Makita instead. The Bosch are also good sliders. Make sure you check the saw for accuracy. DeWalt is known for many issues on their type 1 products now being made in Mexico and China. Sliders need to be made with critical tolerances to be any good. The DW712 is far better than the DW718 , in all aspects except capacity and dual bevel.
                            The Makita 7 1/4" saw is also excellent for a portable. Many contractors use that and the blades are very cheap in that size. I would buy that saw for what you needs are.
                            Last edited by Andrew M.; 05-31-2008, 01:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X