X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which Type of Drill is best?

I am in marine construction, and need a heavy duty drill to auger through pilings, joists, and other meaty projects. I went through my 6 amp Ridgid drill already, and was thinking about the Heavy Duty Spade Handle 9 amp drill. Does anyone have any other recommendations?

Also, would a hammer drill be useful?

Re: Which Type of Drill is best?

Milwaukee super hawg
    http://www.toolup.com/Milwaukee/1680-20.html
    13 amps, replaceable brushes. This drill has the strenght you need and will last!

a hammer drill would be useless unless you are drilling inot masonry or rock. this drill is more than sufficient.

Comment

Thanks for the advice, that is a serious tool. One other question, what does "capacity in wood" mean?

Comment

that is the recommended largest bit to use in wood.

Comment

Haven't used the Milwaukee version but I hear good things. I have the DeWalt version and have had no problems. Been using for years. I think a DeWalt, Milwaukee, or Makita will serve you well. Pay attention to the Amp draw if you will be running long cords or using generators.

J.C.

Comment

what is a good amp draw? I need some power to get through those pilings.

Comment

Gator,

What size holes (largest) do you need to drill and how deep? Unless you really need a right angle type drill, you may well like a good big beefy spade handle drill better. Milwaukee leads the pack when it comes to corded drills. You might take a look at these links. The beast 3/4" spade handle model is almost unstoppable and demands serious respect. In turn it will really work hard.

(1/2" general use workhorse) http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192161_192137

(3/4" monster) http://www.milwaukeeconnect.com/weba..._192160_192137

Keep in mind that both can be purchased as factory reconditioned to like new and you can save some $$$, especially on the 3/4" monster.

Comment

Did you say 6amp? That probably didn't last long huh? I own the 9amp Spade drill and it does the job just fine. I know the 7 amp Milwaukee is nice as well, my brother has one and he loves it. I don't think you're going to need something like the Super Hawg though.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	559f7658484cf4f829b3d53f7c04aa31.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	8.5 KB
ID:	3267

trust me

Comment

Even though I have owned Wrench and Spinner's Milwaukee and sold it.Dewalt works better for me,cleaner control.

I would definitely have to wholeheartedly agree that this is the drill for you in this application.Those drills are serious wood hogs

Comment

If you want to drill through pilings like they were butter, I suggest the drill and bits I used to drill through telephone poles. The Ingersoll Rand 8053 and auger bits by Irwin . Try ebay for the drill, it is a heavy duty impact gun which along with those bits will make quick work of beams, joists and pilings. Depending on the bit you can drill through more than 16 inches of solid wood in a matter of seconds, try that with any other drill! A cheaper alterantive would be a 1/2 heavy duty impact gun and the auger bits with shanks to fit the appropriate socket.

Comment

Working...
                      X