X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid 24 Lith Circut Breaker Question

I have a 24 lithium Hammer/Drill and was driving 3" screws into studs this past weekend to mount some shelves on the wall and a couple of times the drill would stop and would act like the battery was dead (after it had just been recharged), so I would take it to the garage and put the battery on the charger wait a minute and the green light would come on (the charger) take the battery off and everything worked fine. This happed when I would get close to driving the screw so I would let off to finish the screw slowly. I guess my question is do the drill or the battery for that matter have a circut breaker in it? Or is my drill/battery bad.

Kind of a pain in the rear when it happens and you have to go clear out to the garage and put the battery on the charger to reset it.

Re: Ridgid 24 Lith Circut Breaker Question

Someone else reported a similar problem. I think it was with using the circular saw and the Lithium battery. I don't know what the problem is, but I suspect it is the battery shutting down because you are overloading it. One of the limiting items with Lithium batteries is that they do not have a high current draw capability. It is not a fault with the battery, you just pushed it to it's limit. NiCds have an advantage over Lithium in this respect.

Comment

Originally posted by jamiegisi View Post
      I have a 24 lithium Hammer/Drill and was driving 3" screws into studs this past weekend to mount some shelves on the wall and a couple of times the drill would stop and would act like the battery was dead (after it had just been recharged), so I would take it to the garage and put the battery on the charger wait a minute and the green light would come on (the charger) take the battery off and everything worked fine. This happed when I would get close to driving the screw so I would let off to finish the screw slowly. I guess my question is do the drill or the battery for that matter have a circut breaker in it? Or is my drill/battery bad.

Kind of a pain in the rear when it happens and you have to go clear out to the garage and put the battery on the charger to reset it.
      We use the 24V H/D for heavy duty drilling only :ie-1" auger through 8" posts, 2" Forsner bits, and 1/2" drill into particle board. The torque is so great we must use the handle to hold it. I would guess you have bad batts. If the drill is within the first three months return it to HD for exchange. If older than that you will need to take the drill, batteries and charger to a service center.

Comment

Then bring the charger in the house!

Comment

Originally posted by Calder View Post
          It is not a fault with the battery, you just pushed it to it's limit.
          he pushed a 24v hammer drill/driver to the limit by driving 3" screws? then it's safe to say the drill is pretty much useless.

Comment

I second what Ray said. It appears you have a faulty battery. Some of the early (06__ date codes) batteries had similar issues - it is a sort of internal "circuit breaker" in the battery. It's an overload circuit to prevent damage to the lithium ion battery cells. There were quite a few of these 24 volt XLi batteries in the early releases that these overload circuits tripped waaaaaaaaaaay too easily. It happens exactly as described. Now, you may have a newer unit, but it does sound like this same early fault. Return and exchange it, or have it serviced, depending on what timeline you are in with your return/warranty/LLSA periods. I have the same drill, and driving in 3" screws is not even an issue.

Comment

I have that same problem. I have the 24v hammerdrill and 3 batteries. Two of the batteries came with the drill, and the other was bought off ebay, and all 3 of my batteries trip their circuit breaker quite often, i'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with my drill. Sometimes it's great, i can easily use it for 4" and 6" hole saws, but then other times even driving small screws in with a fully charged battery will kill it. It's getting quite annoying and very inconvenient to always have to be resetting the batteries. It's just rediculous wondering if my drill is going to work "this time" when i go to use it, especially considering the price.

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
                If older than that you will need to take the drill, batteries and charger to a service center.
                The problem with that is that Ridgid doesn't have Factory Service centers. That is a major down fall and creates a problem when this happens.

Comment

Originally posted by Death By Spooork View Post
                  I have that same problem. I have the 24v hammerdrill and 3 batteries. Two of the batteries came with the drill, and the other was bought off ebay, and all 3 of my batteries trip their circuit breaker quite often, i'm starting to wonder if something is wrong with my drill. Sometimes it's great, i can easily use it for 4" and 6" hole saws, but then other times even driving small screws in with a fully charged battery will kill it. It's getting quite annoying and very inconvenient to always have to be resetting the batteries. It's just rediculous wondering if my drill is going to work "this time" when i go to use it, especially considering the price.
                  I purchased two Max Select Starter Kits on clearance earlier this year. Not having had experience with the 24 volt batteries, I had no idea what to expect - other than they should be more powerful than my 18 volt stuff. I had similar problems that you have brought up and some things mentioned in other threads. I spoke with tech support and they said the tools should howl. I took the batteries to my service center and they had them replaced in a matter of days and they do howl with no problems. Your experience with getting timely service is a function of the knowledge of your service center. If they've done it before - either with Ridgid repair or another brand - they should be able to competently get the job done. It just happens that the one in my area is aware of each vendors process and things happen quickly. I'd look in to having the batteries replaced under the warranty/LLSA and that should cure your problem.

Comment

Working...
                  X