Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Impact sockets - deep or standard for first purchase?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Impact sockets - deep or standard for first purchase?

Hi all,

I recently purchased a R6300 and am wondering if I should get a set of standard or deep impact sockets to go with it... the bulk of what I use hand sockets for gets done with standard depth sockets and a ratchet, but am wondering if those that will really benefit from this monster will wind up needing a deep socket.
    So basically, what are the downsides to getting a deep set to be safe? I know I'll add a couple of inches to the length of tool and socket and risk not having them fit by a smidgen in certain odd applications... but is there also a torque advantage to using a standard depth socket vs deep? Or is the length difference the only disadvantage?

Thanks!

Re: Impact sockets - deep or standard for first purchase?

If you think you'll need deep sockets now and then, I would recommend looking into a set. Please buy only top name brand USA made ones. Cheapo imports are just not safe and can and do shatter.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      If you think you'll need deep sockets now and then, I would recommend looking into a set. Please buy only top name brand USA made ones. Cheapo imports are just not safe and can and do shatter.
      Good advice. Personally I rarely found the need for the socket to be deep. A good extension was all I really needed. The deep socket may actually prevent you from getting into some tight spots. Buy quality even if it cost more than you want to spend and make sure they carry a warantee. I bought a set of Snap On 1/2 impact in metric twenty five years ago and I have never broken a single one.

Comment

Part 2

If you want production grade that are fully USA, take a look at WRIGHT TOOL in Ohio. This company is very serious about sockets of highest quality.

http://www.wrighttool.com/pub/defaul...09027E52D9E%7D

Some good reading about the company: http://www.wrighttool.com/about/Diffrnce.asp

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
          Lowes and Craftsman impact sockets proudly display a small USA flag stating made in USA. Would these qualify as "good ones"? I am upgrading from grunt power to impact power for performance exhaust systems and lugnut applications.

Comment

Go with Craftsman, their hand tools are a great intermediate between homeowner and proffesional grade, their prices are reasonable and I have almost never had a prolem with bringing back broken tools!

Comment

Working...
            X