X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill Bit Storage

OK I have TONS of drill bits, self feed, auger, etc. My drill cases are full and i dont want to just dump them in another tool box what do you guys use to store bits, extension etc.?

Re: Drill Bit Storage

I have one of those large 3-drawer plastic cases next to my drill press and keep a nylon B&D wallet in each of my three drill cases, as well as a small indexed bit holder (small sizes) over on the workbench. I also have a couple of spade sets, which I keep in plastic cases.

Other than that my loose bits don't amount to much. For me (I'm a homeowner/hobbyist and not in the trades), there's no accumulation because once a bit is dull, I just discard it. Portability is important to me because I'm back and forth between two houses or sometimes just want to move out onto the deck when the weather is nice.

I would think that accumulating too many bits would be a pain in the butt... how do you know what's dull and what isn't? Also, if they're just accumulating, it has got to be a hassle trying to find the one you want. Therefore, the few sets that I have, I try to keep full, replacing the bits as they break or dull.

CWS

Comment

Originally posted by wrench spinner View Post
      OK I have TONS of drill bits, self feed, auger, etc. My drill cases are full and i dont want to just dump them in another tool box what do you guys use to store bits, extension etc.?
      I really don't bother, they get dull or broken. Other wards, mothballs or those little packets you get in boxes when you buy things from a store..
      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by garager View Post
        I really don't bother, they get dull or broken. Other wards, mothballs or those little packets you get in boxes when you buy things from a store..
        works for me i was just wondering if anyone else out there had an innovative solution!

Comment

get one of thoes magnetic knife racks found at almost any department store and screw it to the wall in your shop. then proseed to stick your bits

Comment

Originally posted by Arthur96 View Post
            get one of thoes magnetic knife racks found at almost any department store and screw it to the wall in your shop. then proseed to stick your bits
            I do the same in my work trailer, there are always certain size bits that I need readily available. I do have one drawer in the trailer for bits also, there must be 300 bits all scattered around in this drawer, thus the need for the magnet. It works good doesn't it Arthur96.......... Mark
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

For my bits (all types) with 1/4, 3/8, 7/16 and 1/2 shanks, I get scrap pieces of 2 x 8 and make up a wood block. I then (using drill press with depth stop) drill holes in them to fit the shanks and keep the bits in order.

For Jobbers length high speed metal cutting bits, I use HUOT indexes.
              http://store.huot-store.com/tool-sto.../dtri-dus.html

When I need auger bits of several sizes in the field or self feed bits, I make use of small plastic tool boxes. Hole saw kits are stored in plastic tool boxes where I make up sets for my needs.
              Last edited by Woussko; 05-08-2008, 08:09 AM.

Comment

I've got several index's a few to 1/4 a couple to 3/8 and 1/2 each pretty much lives at the tool its for or in the truck tool box.For all the extra bits and I've got pounds of them I use a kitchen flatware plastic tray,not great fancy etc but it works.Each section holds bits of about the same size so when a bit in an index gets dull I toss it in a plastic box to be sharpened and replace it from the extras in the tray.Once or twice a year on a nasty day outside I break out the bit sharpener and start in sharpening again.
                Sam

Comment

Working...
                X