Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: 24v is it worth it?

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
    As far as questioning my membership here, I think 2001 join date is 6 years before 2007 if my math is correct and I am not reselling on ebay so I have no reason or motive to be a cheerleader for Ridgid, or bash them either for spite. I could care less about any brand as I have no financial interest in any tool company.
    I returned the defective 24v starter kits and went with NiCads. I like the Fuego so much that I do not use the cordless saw much as I can cut straighter and cleaner with that saw. On the Fuego,I did have to fix the rear base rivet as the base was too loose.
    Andrew,

I'm not, and I don't believe others are, questioning your membership on here. Obviously you've been on here for years (granted, more than me).

But almost all of your posts that I've seen since coming on board (and trolling for the 6 months or so before that), are extremely pessimistic and negative, whether about Ridgid tools or not. It just gets a bit tired. Example: look at your last post, "I love the Fuego, it's an awesome tool...but I did have to fix it because it wasn't right/good enough." Always pushing the negative, it seems.

So you had a 24 volt kit, and the performance wasn't right due to the overload tripping, and you decided to return them because you didn't want to make the trips to and from your service centers. Sorry to hear that. And sorry to hear that your service center is so far away from you. But, others might not have those same issues. In fact, the majority on here it seems (granted, myself included) seem to enjoy the performance values of the 24 volt batteries. Okay, you returned yours because you had a defective set, sorry Ridgid didn't come through for you on that, BUT then it seems that you also don't have any extensive practical usage in the real world of a proper working set like so many others of us have. So there's no reason for you to always chime in with the "24 volt sucks, they're discontinuing it, 24 volt sucks" statements.

I too just had an issue fixed with the 18 volt compact drill - loose arbor due to fit in gear box, gear box and chuck replaced. I had a @$%$ of a time with the service center (another issue completely, and the fault of the service center, not Ridgid), as explained in another thread. HOWEVER, even though I had this issue with the drill, I have extensively used this one drill for just about everything and anything, and have been quite pleased with its performance and operation. Now, even though I've had this issue, and yes I had to bring it in to get it fixed in less than a year, I'm not posting all extremely negative comments about the drill, while not paying attention to the positive attributes, and saying, "The drill sucks, don't buy it, they're discontinuing it, they won't support it soon, the drill sucks." My long-term experience may turn negative with this drill, depending on future usage/problem issues with it, and how many times I have to seek service center repair in the long run. But there are also many positives I need to state about the tool, and if I have a negative experience with the tool, it doesn't trump the majority of otherwise positive experiences of other people with the same tool.

Sorry if this sounds harsh or critical, but it's just my thoughts on what I've seen with past posts.

And whether or not I resell some tools on eBay doesn't make me or give me a reason to be a cheerleader for Ridgid - I've only had about 10% of my buyers say they've looked at the forum before. The simple thing is that Ridgid tools sell themselves on eBay, their reputation preceeds them, and the biggest thing is that me being happy with my tools and positively endorsing them on this forum does not give me a higher chance/probability of selling said tools on eBay.
    Last edited by canucksartech; 05-11-2008, 09:04 AM. Reason: Addition...and speeeling

Comment

Originally posted by roadrashray View Post
      The lack of the higher voltage battery is an industry wide problem. You seem to focus only on Ridgid. Yes, there is a 24V LI supply problem. I would suggest there is a DeWalt 36V LI problem, a Milwaukee 28V LI problem and a Bosch 36V LI problem. Lots of 18V LI's for all of them. Why? I don't know. But you only want to focus on Ridgid. Be honest and you will see it is an industry wide issue, not Ridgid unless you choose to make it only a Ridgid.
      I'm going to have to disagree here. There is an HD issue with not stocking high voltage batteries, thats not the same as an industry wide problem. But then again many HD's don't sell the high voltage tools to begin with. The difference is buying one of those batteries is not hard at all. You can go to almost any place or online shop that sells Milwaukee, Dewalt or Bosch high voltage tools and the batteries are stocked there. Point is it's not hard to buy one. The Ridgid 24v's do have a supply problem because they are still not sold seperately outside the starter kit and you'll probably be lucky if you can even find one at most HD's.

Originally posted by lurch View Post
      Anyone else ever seen a 19 Volt battery?
      I'm sure that was a typo but 18v is actually a neat marketing term. Fully carged 18v's are actually 19 to 20v

Originally posted by le bricoleur View Post
      made a test home: circ saw with 24v ion battery=28 minutes run time, 18 nicad 24 minutes run time thought that 24 v ion batteries were better than that....i take them back at hd
      As has been stated by others before, it looks like you are comparing the no load run time. Put the tools to do actual work and suddenly not only will the available power to cut be very significant but the nicad 18v will start to drop off much sooner. The 18v nicad will generate more heat which will immediately cause it to drop in effeciency. The 24v lithium will also be able provide the tool with nearly full power all the way to the end. Nicad batteries start to drop in available power output immediately when they start being used. Even if both batteries were to run exactly the same under load the 18v would be cutting with much less power towards the half end while the 24v would be cutting with almost the same power it started with.

Comment

[QUOTE]
        Originally posted by Velosapien View Post
        I'm going to have to disagree here. There is an HD issue with not stocking high voltage batteries, thats not the same as an industry wide problem. But then again many HD's don't sell the high voltage tools to begin with. The difference is buying one of those batteries is not hard at all. You can go to almost any place or online shop that sells Milwaukee, Dewalt or Bosch high voltage tools and the batteries are stocked there. Point is it's not hard to buy one. The Ridgid 24v's do have a supply problem because they are still not sold seperately outside the starter kit and you'll probably be lucky if you can even find one at most HD's.
        Velo........I don't know about online shopping(although I did give ToolKing.com a quick look and they show the 36V DeWalt as out of stock) however I will repeat that I have NEVER seen big voltage 36V DeWalt, 36V Bosch, or 28V Milwaukee individual batteries at either Home Depot OR Lowe's or at any other independent retailer in our area. I have probably been in 4-5 Lowe's and Home Depot's and dozens of independents in this area. I went to the web site for Ridgid's online parts ordering(Gardner Inc. 1-877-545-4099) and they list the 24V battery as available. I did not order it, therefor have not confirmed that they carry it in stock. I haven't been traveling lately (choice between that and eating) however it would be interesting to ask others in this forum if they have seen any of the above high voltage batteries for sale as individual items in Lowe's or other stores around the US.
        Last edited by roadrashray; 05-13-2008, 10:34 AM.

Comment

I don't think these batteries would be available at most/any big box stores and chances are the smaller retailers just don't carry them. They don't sell as easy as the lower voltages. I do understand what you're saying but it has more to do with smaller market demand rather than availability. If you really needed a 28/36v battery chances are you will at least find several online stores that carry them at somewhat competitive prices. With the Ridgid 24v the last I heard is what people have posted here that they need to be special ordered and are $199.

Comment

Working...
          X