Announcement Announcement Module
Collapse
No announcement yet.
You Guys are gona love this Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #31
    Re: You Guys are gona love this

    I wanted to chime in and say first of all, franki, congrats on 25 years my man! That is inspiring. I spent all day looking at rings to try and start year number one hopefully soon.

    Which brings me to my next point, I like all of the features and everything on this saw, but it is cost prohibitive when I have things like rings to buy. I appreciate the size and weight of it, and that it cuts better than most 12" saws. I would use it every single week if I had it, but I am still using my DeWalt 10 CMS that has seen heavy action for the last 5 or 6 years. Still cuts perfect, and the newer version was on sale at HD for $200 recently. In order to make the $1100 difference worth it at my present average hourly rate of $55 I'd have to save nearly 22 hrs of clean up etc. over the life of the saw. Thats a lot of broom strokes. So that means I'd have to weigh in the extra enjoyment I'd get from using the saw. Just not going to happen for me any time soon.

    That said, I love to read about and learn about tools, even those that are out of my price range. I would love to own this saw, just like I'd love to own one of those Tesla electric super cars. While there was no new info in the posts from the festool employee that wasn't clearly on the weblink provided, I still liked to read his pitch. I'd probably be that excited too if I had a part in making such a tool. At this point I think he is still adding to the conversation, even if he is biased.

    JMO


    Eli
    A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

    Comment


    • #32
      Re: You Guys are gona love this

      Originally posted by garager View Post
      You never offended me and I hope I didn't offend you either. Its just funny, shortly after this saw is mentioned in here, someone from the company comes around and starts to somewhat brag about this saw. That is how spammers are doing their business these days. I'm not saying your spam, it just looks familiar. So how and why did you find us? If I was to go to Ryobi, Dewalt, Hitachi, etc, forums, would I find another topic such as this one there, whether or not your the responder or someone else for your company.
      I think because he was up front about who he was and his bias, we shouldn't accuse him of spamming. Actually, if you go to other WW forums, there are lots of threads on Festool. It boils down to one group of people saying they are overpriced; a second group of people who wish they could afford them; and a third group of owners who think they are the best thing since sliced bread and once you spend money on one of their tools you'll end up spending money on a bunch more. SawStop threads follow a similar pattern, except there is an additional group that thinks Steve Gass is the devil.

      Festool doesn't make the only $1300 miter saw. Here's a $4000 one!
      http://www.omgainc.com/productfamily...ub_id=0&pid=12

      Comment


      • #33
        Re: You Guys are gona love this

        at a shipping weight of 255lbs, that alone would rule it out as a portable saw.not to mention close to $4m for a miter saw! at that price, it better estimate the marterials and cost of the job, pick up and transport said materials to the job site, execute all cuts and perform the joinery while sweeping up the worksite when the job is done.
        Last edited by FINER9998; 05-18-2008, 10:08 AM.
        there's a solution to every problem.....you just have to be willing to find it.

        Comment


        • #34
          Re: You Guys are gona love this

          The belt driven transmission and a powerful 4 HP induction motor

          Yeah, I've often wished my mitersaw had 4HP...
          ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

          Comment


          • #35
            Re: You Guys are gona love this

            Originally posted by cpw View Post
            I think because he was up front about who he was and his bias, we shouldn't accuse him of spamming. Actually, if you go to other WW forums, there are lots of threads on Festool. It boils down to one group of people saying they are overpriced; a second group of people who wish they could afford them; and a third group of owners who think they are the best thing since sliced bread and once you spend money on one of their tools you'll end up spending money on a bunch more. SawStop threads follow a similar pattern, except there is an additional group that thinks Steve Gass is the devil.

            Festool doesn't make the only $1300 miter saw. Here's a $4000 one!
            http://www.omgainc.com/productfamily...ub_id=0&pid=12
            Not accusing, just stating it gives the impression to me that this looks like a spam. Which is just an opinion.

            I've been around the block, the reason to show me an even more expensive saw, was a waste of your time. This guy (me) is far from being a rookie and I do visit other sites. Do you ever hear Josh bragging about Ridgid tools, even in his own site, thats why I come here.

            The guy has made 4 posts, and all of them are in this thread, thats why this looks so familiar to the Bidet situation. Your new here, so you may have never seen what I'm talking about. You wanna read a heated book, type in Bidet in our search, then read.....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

            http://www.contractorspub.com

            A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

            Comment


            • #36
              Re: You Guys are gona love this

              [QUOTE=woodenstickers;143835]I wanted to chime in and say first of all, franki, congrats on 25 years my man! That is inspiring. I spent all day looking at rings to try and start year number one hopefully soon.


              Thank you. There have been plenty of ups and downs over the years, marriage is not a natural thing in my opinion but if you check your attitude it can be great. You seem like a good guy and if you treat your lady the way you would want someone to treat the daughter you may one day have, it helps . This is a wonderful time in both your lives, I wish you a long and happy life together.

              Comment


              • #37
                Re: You Guys are gona love this

                I just wanted to respond to the question about how I made my way onto thsi thread. As my title states, I am the E-Commerce Manager, and I noticed that a significant amount of visitors to our Kapex website were coming from this thread. Curiosity got the best of me so I came to see what was generating the traffic. I was definitely not trolling.

                I appreciate the healthy conversation about the topic and each of your points of view.

                Comment


                • #38
                  Re: You Guys are gona love this

                  Originally posted by shofestoolusa View Post
                  I just wanted to respond to the question about how I made my way onto thsi thread. As my title states, I am the E-Commerce Manager, and I noticed that a significant amount of visitors to our Kapex website were coming from this thread. Curiosity got the best of me so I came to see what was generating the traffic. I was definitely not trolling.

                  I appreciate the healthy conversation about the topic and each of your points of view.
                  Good enough for me, now I understand.

                  Yes your tools are damn good, no denying that. But the money is the issue here for a majority. So you would tend to think, if you would/could lower your price tag, your volume of sales would increase, and should make the company more money and more people to brag about your tools. Or is my line of thinking way off????
                  Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

                  http://www.contractorspub.com

                  A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

                  Comment


                  • #39
                    Re: You Guys are gona love this

                    No, I think that it's a fair assumption to say that if the prices were lower that the volume would increase. There again, if we sold our tools in HD and other big name "discount" stores then we would possibly see increased sales. We have a different approach to how business should be done and stand by principles that have been in place for a long time.

                    The company is family owned by one of the two founding families and headquarters are in Germany. Our tools are manufactured in Germany and the Czech Republic, not Asia. There are so many people that complain about manufacturing being sent there but they still continue to buy products made in Asia. Our quality standards require tolerances of one part per million for defects. So, needless to say, very strict tolerances.

                    Our philosophy: "If the result of out work is not better than everything else on the market, we prefer not to come out with the tool at all".

                    It's not about selling millions of tools or slapping a new color on an existing product and calling it new and improved. It's about very thoughtful engineering going to a superior solution to a problem.

                    I know it may be impossible to convince you that our products are worth the price just by what I have to say. You have to get one in your hands and experience the difference to truly understand how a tool can be 2x, 3x, 4x more valuable. For those who don't make their living with tools, maybe these aren't the right choice.

                    Comment


                    • #40
                      Re: You Guys are gona love this

                      Originally posted by shofestoolusa View Post


                      It's not about selling millions of tools or slapping a new color on an existing product and calling it new and improved. It's about very thoughtful engineering going to a superior solution to a problem.


                      I know it may be impossible to convince you that our products are worth the price just by what I have to say. You have to get one in your hands and experience the difference to truly understand how a tool can be 2x, 3x, 4x more valuable. For those who don't make their living with tools, maybe these aren't the right choice.

                      The motto is great, as long as the company can pull it off and stay in business, this is what I wish most brands would do.


                      You don't need to convince me, I know that you have a superior tool, then most other brands. However, I'm the kind of guy that cuts up 2"x4"s, pine construction lumber. I will do trim from time to time and build a cabinet or two, maybe even a table. This saw of yours, should be catered to the fine woodworkers. Theres no way I would take a chance of rain falling on a $1300.00 saw, I'm not always indoors.

                      I used to lug around chop saws in my arms, those days are over. So if you think that construction workers can benefit from your saw, I think you should have a special cart for it also, with extension arms also.

                      Now I'm from Northern Minnesota, who is your distributer in my area or state. Maybe out of curiosity and envy, I'll go check out your saw, hands on. Who knows, maybe I can be persuaded/convinced on buying one. I never totally close my eyes, unless they are really cheap made tools....
                      Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

                      http://www.contractorspub.com

                      A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

                      Comment


                      • #41
                        Re: You Guys are gona love this

                        Originally posted by shofestoolusa View Post
                        No, I think that it's a fair assumption to say that if the prices were lower that the volume would increase. There again, if we sold our tools in HD and other big name "discount" stores then we would possibly see increased sales. We have a different approach to how business should be done and stand by principles that have been in place for a long time.

                        The company is family owned by one of the two founding families and headquarters are in Germany. Our tools are manufactured in Germany and the Czech Republic, not Asia. There are so many people that complain about manufacturing being sent there but they still continue to buy products made in Asia. Our quality standards require tolerances of one part per million for defects. So, needless to say, very strict tolerances.

                        Our philosophy: "If the result of out work is not better than everything else on the market, we prefer not to come out with the tool at all".

                        It's not about selling millions of tools or slapping a new color on an existing product and calling it new and improved. It's about very thoughtful engineering going to a superior solution to a problem.

                        I know it may be impossible to convince you that our products are worth the price just by what I have to say. You have to get one in your hands and experience the difference to truly understand how a tool can be 2x, 3x, 4x more valuable. For those who don't make their living with tools, maybe these aren't the right choice.
                        The best of anything will always carry a higher price tag and at the same time price itself out of the hands of many consumers. The American consumer has taken a beating these last few years, with jobs shipped overseas and oil prices taking more and more of our income. I think manufacturers will have a choice to either lower prices or find a new consumer market. Wheter these tools will be used by the professional or the woodworker at double the price they will not find their way into many hands. In my opinion Hilti makes the top of the line hammerdrills and related tools, even they have lowered themselves to sell in Home Depot. I for one am convinced you have a dam good tool there and maybe it is the best right now, but you need to be convinced that you can price yourself out of the market. Charge $700.00 which is about two hundred above the rest, we all know the production cost and design will not be nearly that much more. You end up selling more and making more profit and the consumers professional and otherwise benefit from the best there is, right? Admit that at this rate all sales will be dropping, so keep your elite pricing and warehouse your stock.

                        Comment


                        • #42
                          Re: You Guys are gona love this

                          Garager, I'll PM you a link but you can visit our website and click the link for "find a dealer" to locate one in your area if you want to see it in operation. I would sugges that you call ahead though because we only started shipping the Kapex to dealers this past week in preparation for the July 1 launch. By the way, as an ex-climber, I like your signature line.

                          Don't get the impression that our tools need to be pampered and can't withstand the test of the elements. For instance...

                          We perform a test where Arizona dust is blown on a tool in a dust chamber while the tool is running. The time taken for the tool to fail under these conditions is measured. This is how it is determined if the switch, electronic parts and gears withstand the toughest conditions in a dusty environment and meet the minimum durability requirements of the tool. Arizona dust is supposedly the most aggressive dust in the world.


                          Comment


                          • #43
                            Re: You Guys are gona love this

                            Originally posted by shofestoolusa View Post
                            Garager, I'll PM you a link but you can visit our website and click the link for "find a dealer" to locate one in your area if you want to see it in operation. I would sugges that you call ahead though because we only started shipping the Kapex to dealers this past week in preparation for the July 1 launch. By the way, as an ex-climber, I like your signature line.

                            Don't get the impression that our tools need to be pampered and can't withstand the test of the elements. For instance...

                            We perform a test where Arizona dust is blown on a tool in a dust chamber while the tool is running. The time taken for the tool to fail under these conditions is measured. This is how it is determined if the switch, electronic parts and gears withstand the toughest conditions in a dusty environment and meet the minimum durability requirements of the tool. Arizona dust is supposedly the most aggressive dust in the world.


                            Hahaha, you understood my signature, a lot of people asks me what does it mean, cool....

                            I have no desert here, can you tell me if its been tested in a cold climate, minimum of zero degrees - 40 below?
                            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

                            http://www.contractorspub.com

                            A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

                            Comment


                            • #44
                              Re: You Guys are gona love this

                              Originally posted by garager View Post
                              Hahaha, you understood my signature, a lot of people asks me what does it mean, cool....

                              I have no desert here, can you tell me if its been tested in a cold climate, minimum of zero degrees - 40 below?
                              Who the hell cuts wood at 40 below?

                              Ok maybe firewood but I'm not using my new $1400 mitre saw to do that

                              Comment


                              • #45
                                Re: You Guys are gona love this

                                Crack, I still need to bring home the bacon, even in the middle of winter. And its not all that bad, you'd get used to it after a few years....
                                Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

                                http://www.contractorspub.com

                                A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X