X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• r86006 drill question

HI there. I recently bought a RIDGID 18V cordless drill. Had good experiences in the past, most recently with a corded circular saw. I'm not having any problems as such, but noticed a couple of things I was wondering about. THis might be dumb questions but I wanted to see if this was normal or not.

1. When the drill is working, a few sparks are coming from the motor. Not too concerned about this. It's a new drill I guess and it will go away as the brushes wear down a little.

2. THe other thing is when I when I take my finger off the trigger, the gearing on the drill is such that it the motor stops rotating instantly and sort of clicks... the little bit of torque turns your wrist over a little. Is that just the high gear ratio of the drill?

Hey thanks guys for any info!

ABC

Re: r86006 drill question

my drill does the sparking on the brushes both my 14.4 and 18 volt do it, nothing wrong with them. the clicking noise and sudden stop i like those features, older drill just slowed to a stop...do not worry about them

Comment

That is the spindle lock engaging as it is a single sleeve chuck design. Nothing is wrong,sometimes you will have to turn the shaft a bit unitl it locks to engage the shaft lock. Great feature over the non locking type whrere you need 2 hands to tighten and can not get the bits as tight.

Comment

ABC, you're okay. Regarding your first concern (sparking), that's fine. It's just the brushes sparking as they break in - they will noticably really spark and kick them out of the vent openings when you let go of the trigger and the motor brake kicks in. All of the Ridgid drills do that. It will decrease in intensity and sparkage (not a word, I know), as the the brushes work themselves in. But it's fine - it's actually fun to watch the pretty sparks sometimes.

About your second concern (motor stopping w/ torque), as Andrew previously said, you're okay on that also. It is the spindle lock kicking in, and working with the motor's brake, to stop the drill instantly. Now yes, this can be kind of a shock to some people with the instant clamp down and stopping, and yes, it is a bit due to the high gear ratio and torque of this drill. But it is a nice feature for those of us who don't like the drill running on and on when we want it to stop instantly so that we can hurry up and put another screw on the bit. If you're not too keen on this, you can slowly get used to it but slightly releasing the trigger when you're done. This will allow the drill to gently slow down the RPMs and stop, using the variable speed trigger, rather than the instant stop. A note though that excessive and lengthy use of the variable speed trigger can cause it to warm up due to the circuit resistance (I'm talking about like 30 seconds of 1/4 trigger action).

So, nothing to worry about - you don't have a faulty tool.

You will get used to both of these features/quirks/characteristics of this drill in time - it's actually very nice to have them.

Comment

Regarding the sparking: Try running the drill under no load about 5 minutes in forward, reverse and then forward again. I bet that helps seat the brushes. You can also try letting up on the trigger slowly so it doesn't (shorts out motor) slam on the brake. Start slowly and stop gently. This does add to motor life.

Comment

Working...
          X