X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• MSUV Measuring Tape?

Has anyone rigged up a ruler on their MSUV to measure how far the stop is away from their blade?

I figure that if I put a backwards tape on the right side extension wing and a forwards tape on the left one, I could probably get it lined up so that the point where the slide goes in and out indicates how large the cut is. The one thing that I am worried about is that the in/out sliding action would just chew up the tape or make things bind.

Anyone have any other ideas or working setups to eliminate the need to measure and mark the workpiece?

Re: MSUV Measuring Tape?

I was thinking about this too. Havent had a chance to try and rig something up, its supposed to rain here for a while soon so maybe I can use it as a "cabin fever" project.

BTW, Im actually surprised Ridgid didnt do something like this themselves.....they do have that spiffy measuring tape setup on the TS2400!

Comment

I don't know about the newer version of the MSUV but the older AC9940 has an awful lot of play in the sliding mechanism. I suppose a tape could be mounted somehow but I'd think that setup when wanting to make accurate cuts would be very time consuming and a royal PITA.
      Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

The MSUV I have is pretty tight on the sliding mechanism, which I guess is a good thing. Not really sure how something could be setup though.....I know you can buy measuring tape thats sticky, and maybe stick it to the sliding mechanism (or the plastic "table"), but then it would be hard to transfer the measurements to the actual stock because of the height difference.

Not sure you could use the spot where the feed roller mounts as an anchor point, because there IS some play in how the roller clamps to the leg. I suppose you might be able to build something that can bolt to that spot, instead of just clamping.....make it the same height as your miter saw and somehow attach a rolling tape to the saw itself and the riser that you build. Hmm, its a thought.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisexv6 View Post
          I was thinking about this too. Havent had a chance to try and rig something up, its supposed to rain here for a while soon so maybe I can use it as a "cabin fever" project.

BTW, Im actually surprised Ridgid didnt do something like this themselves.....they do have that spiffy measuring tape setup on the TS2400!
          The MSUV can mount any random miter saw, so getting an accurate factory installed tape would pretty much be impossible.

I think Badger Dave might be right about play though. When it is locked, it is nice and solid, but the mechanism moves forward/backwards and up/down enough that I am not sure it would lock into the right place.

Comment

Working...
          X