Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is it a bad idea to buy a discontinued model of air compressor?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is it a bad idea to buy a discontinued model of air compressor?

I saw a gas powered air compressor at a local Menard (Chicago NW suburb).

Coleman Powermate 5.5 HP gas powered air compressor. (Model#: CT5590816)

I searched the Internet for more info about it and found that all those stores listed in the search stated that this model is no longer available.

I am a bit concerned about the warranty service and future parts availability.

What would you say about my concern?

Re: Is it a bad idea to buy a discontinued model of air compressor?

Is it a good deal? If so run it until it's dead. If it's cheap enough I'd still consider buying it.

I don't know if there's anything to this story or not. You might want to do some research.

Comment

Originally posted by Pogster View Post
      Is it a good deal? If so run it until it's dead. If it's cheap enough I'd still consider buying it.

I don't know if there's anything to this story or not. You might want to do some research.
      Pogster, thank you for giving me some valuable info. I also noticed that the Powermate website was dead, but I didn't know why. But I know it now.

The item's list price was $549.00, which is about $150 cheaper than Rigid GP90135 Whlbaraw air comp, which is $699 at a local HD store.

I will call Menard tomorrow to find out who is going to perform the warranty service. I suppose the parts I may need in the future are for the gas engine, which was made by Briggs & Stratton. So I guess I don't have to worry about getting needed parts.

Comment

The Rigid GP90135 is a superior machine in overall quality. If you'll use it much and can afford the extra $$$ do yourself a big favor and go for it over the Coleman. Personally I would pay $100 more anytime to get a real Honda engine just for the engine. The compressor on the Ridgid and the overall design is better.

Comment

Working...
        X