Drill/Hammer Drill Recommendation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Drill/Hammer Drill Recommendation

I need to replace my 1/2 inch drill/hammer drill. I am looking for recommedations. I appreciate your help.

Re: Drill/Hammer Drill Recommendation

Quick question: Do you want a corded or a cordless model? Do you really need a hammer (impacting) drill or would straight rotation work well for your needs?

Comment

I would like a corded drill and I do need a hammerdrill.

Comment

Milwaukee buy the best and they last!!! mine is 15 years old only thing i ever had to replace was brushes and that is EZ!

Comment

Milwaukee does make some nice ones. Now if you want to go all out, I recommend also checking out Metabo from Germany. Here is some info on what they have. Check out the 2 speed (gear box) models and if you can afford one, the SBE 1010 is a dream tool.
          http://www.metabo.us/metabo/handgefu..._01008_62.html

Laz

Please see this post if you do want to mix mud with it as in your other thread. A hammer drill is not the right tool for such use.
          http://www.ridgidforum.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17812

See what others have posted on this thread and please do as suggested. You may really need-want two different drills.
          Last edited by Woussko; 05-15-2008, 07:11 AM.

Comment

Right, a hammerdrill is too fast an rpm for mixing mud. I use the Ridgid RA drill or my Milwaukee from the RA kit[600 rpms). If you plan to drill in concrete often I would buy an ROTARY hammer drill, SDS type. Remember hammerdrils have hi rpms so they are not as hi in torque.
            toolsofthetrade.net has a test on both types.
            The Metabo is a good choice if you want a hammerdrill due to the design.
            "5.1 lbs.6.20-1,200/0-2,800 rpms24,000/56,000 ipm
            Comments
            This tool's weight and balance made it one of our favorites. It has a smart padded side handle with internal storage and an offset depth guide. The large control dials have user-friendly icons. Its ambidextrous forward/reverse switch and trigger lock-on switch are well positioned. The tool comes with an 8' 6" power cord and plastic carrying case. Price
            $209"
            on ther other hand,
            "Rotary Hammers

Spend five minutes drilling concrete and masonry with one of these rotary hammers and you'll wonder what to do with your old hammerdrill."

Comment

If you're looking for a drill/driver/hammerdrill for an all-around great tool I'd highly recommend the Hitachi DV18DL. I own one and it's wicked...... Best built and strongest cordless drill I've used yet. You might not want cordless, but after seeing what type of power/endurance the lithium ion packs have you might change your mind. And I don't care of what some might have to say about Hitachi being made in another country. They are right at the top with ANY power tool brand. Especially the fugly Milwaukee tools. Later!

Comment

i have a dewalt 18v hammer drill and drill a lot of 3/8 holes and works good .if i drill a 1/4 hole for anchors and then i use my dewalt 18v impact to drive it in .

if i need to drill 1/2 i use my dewalt 18v or a corded hilti hammer drill and that one goes up to 1 1/2 bit .the hiliti is very smooth drill and if the cordless was like that i might get one .

thats what i use and every one has there choice so if you can try to see if you can use one first it helps you make your chose
                Charlie

My seek the peek fundraiser page
                http://observatory.mountwashington.o...nal&fr_id=1040

http://www.mountwashington.org/weather/conditions.php

new work pictures 12/09
                http://public.fotki.com/hvachawk/

Comment

You might really need two different drills depending on your needs. You mentioned in the Ask the Powertool Experts forum that your drill burned up mixing mud but here you mentioned you also need a hammer drill. Those are basically the two extremes of corded drills. You can either get a high geared/low torque hammer drill, or a low geared/high torque drill but you can't get both in one.

Comment

I got to thinking about the mud mixing. I recommend checking at pawn shops and trying to find a good Milwaukee 1660 spade handle drill or a Milwaukee 1675 HoleHawg drill or if they have one in nice shape a Dewalt DW131 spade handle drill or Dewalt DW124 super right angle drill. If you can find one in good condition for $100 or less, just grab it. You'll have a real mud mixer. Then on a hammer drill please buy a new one. I really like Metabo and Hilti but they don't come cheap.

If you need to drill larger (over 1/2") holes in concreet then look into a true roto-hammer drill and one that can be switched so it does just hammering, rotation or rotation with hammering. Then look into an adaptor and drill chuck for it. You'll then have a real tool. Again, good ones cost good $$$ but they are investments.

Please try to tell us just what you need to do and is it all the time or now and then work.

WARNING: A serious 1/2" spade handle or right angle drill can develop arm busting torque. Do use the pipe handle and do carefully brace the tool. THINK before use and do read the owner's manual.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post

If you need to drill larger (over 1/2") holes in concreet then look into a true roto-hammer drill and one that can be switched so it does just hammering, rotation or rotation with hammering. Then look into an adaptor and drill chuck for it. You'll then have a real tool. Again, good ones cost good $$$ but they are investments.
                      Definately always look for a roto-hammer with 3 mode operation but skip the adaptor chuck for it. It's not very practical. Get a normal drill for that. The built in safety clutches on roto hammers make them unsuitable for larger size non-masonry drilling and the normal play/wobble of the SDS chuck doesn't make for good accurate wood/metal drilling. You can't use the standard chucks with normal smooth shank masonry bits either since they will slip right off during the extra hard impact.

As far as hammer drills I think there is relatively little difference between all the big names. Dewalt, Makita, Bosch, Metabo, Milwaukee and others all have some really nice models. The biggest difference is the top of the line model usually has a metal gearbox.

Comment

Vel has it right with the safety clutch and mixing. Not a good idea for mud mixing. Woussko = Brain out of gear again.

For what it's worth there normally are some eBay listings for 1/2" spade handle drills. A search for "Milwaukee 1660" turned up a few and a search for "Dewalt DW131" turned up one. I can't say anything about the condition, but maybe sometime try bidding low and hope you win.

If you can find one in good shape, the Porter-Cable 635 or 7564EHD are both real workhorses. Especially the 7564EHD model.

As for buying a big roto-hammer the cost will make most people back off fast. I was mostly kidding about that idea.

Comment

Good advice and good posts, Velo and Woussko. Excellent words of wisdom.

So...since you guys are so on fire...chicken or egg? Which one first?

Comment

Thanks for all the responses. It looks like I need two different drills. I'll definitely check out the rotary drills. Thanks again.

Comment

Haven't used other brands, but I've used the Bosch SDS corded rotary hammers for a few years now - and I must say that I love them. You can get them on Amazon for less than $200, which seems like a bargain to me.

Comment

Working...
                              X