drill/hammerdrill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• drill/hammerdrill

My Milwaukee 1/2 inch drill/hammerdrill needs a $130.00 repair. It's ten years old but has not had much use. Should I get it repaired or replace it with a new one? Thanks.

Re: drill/hammerdrill

what does kind of repair does it need? there isnt that much that goes wrong with them?

Comment

It always ran hot and finally burned up while stirring drywall mud. I hadn't really used it that much over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by Laz View Post
        burned up while stirring drywall mud.
        Thats why it failed. Never use a hammer drill as a mixer. Mixing should be done with a drill with lots of torque. Hammer drills are geared very high with little torque so the motor probably ran close to stalling speed and burnt out.

Comment

Laz

If you need to mix mud please get a nice heavy duty 1/2" slow speed spade handle drill. A Milwaukee 1660-6 comes to mind. Get one and have it for a loooooong time. They are workhorses. http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192161_192137

If you think this is overkill then maybe a Dewalt model DW130V or if you can find one in nice condition a Dewalt DW131 is better. http://www.dewalt.com/us/products/to...p?productID=19

Sometimes you can find a good used (or new) Milwaukee 1660 on eBay but bid low as you never can be sure it is good. Even if you ended up needing to spend some $$$ fixing one up, a good tuff spade handle drill is a nice investment. Another idea would be a HoleHawg type right angle drill like the Milwaukee 1675 but that's only if you find a great deal on one in really nice condition. If not the $$$ is just too much.

Comment

Working...
          X