X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Craftsman 100 Parts

I bought a used Craftsman 100 tablesaw and it doesn't have a blade guard where can I get one or have one made. Model # 1132991

Re: Craftsman 100 Parts

Here's one solution, Penn State Industries.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I know many will blast me for this, but 90+% of the table saws in use probly do not have a guard on them, and most will in a short time have them in the corner of the shop collecting dust. (I know I have a few floating around some where) (note: on most of the wood working shows, they say the guard has been removed for picture clarity, no it has be removed because it is in the way for normal and precision use)

I have seen more people get nearly hurt trying to push some thin or small piece through with the guard on trying to fight and work around it than with out it,

yes one needs to be careful, and you need to make a no hand rule of 5 to 6 or so inches, to the blade, and use push sticks and blocks, and know where your hands are, and practice safety, and do not take short cuts when pertaining to safety.

few guards on table saw are well designed or engineered,

but you could try EBay, and or find a saw of similar type and size and order one of a different brand, and adapt it, if you can not find a "factory" unit,

but if you want a guard that this usable and not thrown away in a short time the one in the pen state URL, is a fairly good one, as you do not have any thing "blocking" the saw, you can, trim, and do laps and dado's, and other cuts that many many times one will remove the guard any way.

yes if your mass construction grade ripping a guard has some value, but if your going beyond construction grade precision usually the guard is not your friend in quality of work.

yes some places it is required to have it on.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ some other possibilities

http://www.thewoodshop.20m.com/howto_splitter.htm

http://www.taunton.com/finewoodworki...F.aspx?id=2298

http://www.amazon.com/HTC-10A-L-Bret.../dp/B0001LQW7S

http://www.mikestools.com/biesemeyer...ards_1407.aspx
      Last edited by BHD; 05-16-2008, 11:10 AM.
      Push sticks/blocks Save Fingers
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      "The true measure of a man is how he treats someone who can do him absolutely no good."
      attributed to Samuel Johnson
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
      PUBLIC NOTICE: Due to recent budget cuts, the rising cost of electricity, gas, and oil...plus the current state of the economy............the light at the end of the tunnel, has been turned off.

Comment

The first thing I did was to take mine and put it on a shelf. Know it isn't right but can't work with it on. I'm the only one to use it and always always use a block or stick to run my material thru. When ripping long pieces use a roller assembly or have someone that knows how hold the piece coming off the table.

Not for everyone and would not recommend for someone. Do so at your own risk.

Comment

I appreciate all the input I can get since I just got started working in wood and had never owned a table saw.

Comment

Originally posted by BHD View Post
            I know many will blast me for this, but 90+% of the table saws in use probly do not have a guard on them, and most will in a short time have them in the corner of the shop collecting dust.

I completely agree!!! Trying to work a table saw with a big clunky guard on it, in my opinion, is a disaster waiting to happen. When in grade school, none of our saws had guards. We learned how to use them properly and safely and I do not recall one accident in the 4 total years of shop I took.

Personally, I think all the safety stuff on tools is to protect the manufacturer and seller and NOT the end user. I have two tools that have working guards on them, my jointer and my 12" miter saw.

Mark
            Congratulations to Mr. "the sky is falling" Al Gore, nominated the new Village Idiot!

Comment

The guard for my TS is still in the plastic bag it came in. I don't think I will ever put it on. I too would not recommend this, but I can't work with that big bulky guard either.

Comment

Wow am I in the minority here. I ran my saw without the guard a couple years ago. A piece of wood lifted, hit the top of the blade and slammed into my belt buckle. I cut another piece and the same thing happened except this time the wood, on the way to my belt buckle, also twisted my thumb and two fingers. I walked around to the back of the saw and installed the guard - took less than a minute. All my guards are in place. If I can't cut with the guards in place I find another way to make the cut. My fingers have been attached to my hands for 61 years - two have been reattached, really painful when the Emergency Room Doc jams that needle with the novocain into your palm and down into your fingers so he can clean the yuck out before surgery. Plus, I don't think I would like the nickname stubby.

Tom

Comment

Of course I can't say for sure Tom W but I doubt very much if you're in the minority here. Safety first is always Rule #1 in my shop and the only time I ever remove my blade guard/splitter is when it's absolutely necessary. There are times when it's actually safer to remove it but to run a saw 100% of the time without one IMO is just asking for trouble.
                  Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I have my grandfathers Craftsman 100 table saw, model number 113.29990 and I am trying to find the belt size for it. I know that it needs 2 belts. I have already searched the Sears site and it will take over a week for them to get here and they are a little spendy. Does anyone know of the belt size for this model. I am trying to get them as a surprize for my dad.

Thank you!!!

Comment

Do you have the old belts? Take them to a good auto parts store like NAPA and match them up. They should have a gauge for measuring the belts. If they don't have a belt then they can probably tell you someone in the area who might.

Other possibilities are a farm supply, Sears or other chain automotive store will usually have a stock of belts.

But you will need the belt to be able to match the width and angle and length. The length you could get from the C-C distance of the shafts and the pulley diameters + a little simple math.

Badger Dave: Agree with your comments from back in May, and I have three friends with at least one finger that is shorter than God intended thanks to not working with the guard on when they could have.
                      Last edited by Bob D.; 09-04-2008, 07:06 PM.
                      ---------------
                      Light is faster than sound. That's why some people seem really bright until you hear them speak.
                      ---------------
                      “If I had my life to live over again, I'd be a plumber.” - Albert Einstein
                      ---------
                      "Its a table saw.... Do you know where your fingers are?"
                      ---------
                      sigpic http://www.helmetstohardhats.com/

Comment

Deerslayer, check out this site. I don't know if he has your model available, but it's free to give him a call. I'm seriously thinking about getting one for my TS3650.
                        http://www.leestyron.com/sharkridgid.php
                        When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

Comment

Working...
                        X