X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R86006 quit working

Well today my R86006 decided to leave me hanging. It was during a playset install and it stopped about 1/3 way threw the day. I had to rely on my Dewalt 18V for most of the day. Here's what happened: I started the day using the normal Lithium batteries that came with the drill and and mid bore, the drill stopped so I put the battery on the charger and tried my 2nd battery and the drill very slowly fired up and then stopped. I then figured it might of been the batteries sitting in my bag had to much sunlight. So I then put on the big mama the 3.0 Amp Lithium and the drill fired right up full throttle. Well since this was being used for pre-drilling, it took a bit to notice that that drill was only working at 1 speed (full throttle) and was no longer variable. Man this made for a long aggrevating day! Anyone else have issues with this drill. It has been great all winter excluding charging in the extreme cold. Guess its off to a service center on Monday.

Re: R86006 quit working

A search will show threads about LiI battery issues. I will refrain from comment as not to start another "you are bashing Ridgid" reply from some people here.

Comment

I am well aware of the battery issues, but although early, this does not appear to be a battery issue. Either way it should be covered. I called my local Depot for kicks today and the woman I spoke with said to call ridgid Monday and that since it is under a year old, Ridgid would most likely say to bring it back to Depot for a new one. If true, that would be awesome because using a corded along with my other 18Volt is gonna get old fast and slow me down during installs. I will post back with updates as they happen.

Comment

Just an update tonight. I Measured the original batteries with my Fluke and got 11.8 Vdc not 18-ish and I measured the 3 amp battery and got 20.2 Vdc. So it would seem I have a battery issue. The original 1.5 batteries show charged on my charger and if I wait and try to re-charge them, they take about 2 minutes and show fully charged and obviously are not. So I put the 3.0 amp battery in and tried to feather the switch and it seems to be missing the low speed entirely. But while depressing the switch slowly, I saw a puff of smoke come out by the LED, it looks like 2 batteries and the drill could potentially be fried. I hope I get a happy Ridgid rep in the morning and will let me do the Depot thing instead of tracking down the repair center. Either way as long as I don't have to pay for anything, I am ok with it.

Comment

Originally posted by spinkid View Post
          I called my local Depot for kicks today and the woman I spoke with said to call ridgid Monday and that since it is under a year old, Ridgid would most likely say to bring it back to Depot for a new one.
          IMHO she was blowing smoke up your skirt. HD is only authorized to do a return exchange for 90 days after the sale with a receipt. You may get lucky and get a MOD that doesn't know better to OK the exchange but an associate at the returns desk doesn't have the authority to ok the exchange. The associate in the hardware dept. cannot even authorize it without MOD approval. If they do an even exchange, make sure they exchange the entire set and not just the drill. Otherwise, the date codes on the set will be screwed up for the LSA. You won't be able to register the new drill because you won't have a sales receipt on a even exchange for just the drill. However, keep in mind YMMV (Your mileage may vary)/
          sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

The smoke was definetly blown, but its still getting repaired. I do have to go the service center today, so hopefully soon it will be back. Anyone have any idea the average turn around time repairs?

Comment

Here's an update of my repair so far. Its been since May 19th and I don't have the drill, charger or batteries yet. I have been calling every week and get the same person saying parts are ordered. Well yesterday I had someone else and she asked how long ago I dropped it off and she let out a genuine "WOW". She told me she would call ridgid and get back to me (yeah right), but to my suprise about 2 hours later she called me back with an update. I apparently had a bad part for the drill which they have in stock, 2 bad batteries, and a bad charger. She told me the charger is on backorder and everything will ship when the charger comes in (no timeframe available). What a PITA!!! I was joking with a co-worker that I should go buy another drill and use it until this comes back and then return it (to honest to actually do that) providing I actually get this back in the 90 day period. Hopefully it will be done soon, I would like more ridgid cordless tools, but this is making me re-think that. I have no problems (knock wood) with my corded tools, but this stinks, especially during the work season.

Comment

Solution: Since the charger is the only missing part, purchase a new charger, keep packaging & receipt, when you get the replacement charger, put it in back in the HD BORG packaging. Return for refund. If outside the 90 day period, unused return with receipt in original packaging with still get you a refund.
                sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

Well, its now been 5 weeks to the day and I have an update. I was working and decided to give my repair center a call and see how the charger on backorder was and said they would call back. Less than an hour later they guy told my they are back ordered till OCTOBER!! Wholy S#%@, thats quite some time away. Well he knew that wasn't good (he chuckled when he told me that) and gave me the number to call and try my luck. The number I called was his One World Technologies number and I got a not to informative person on the phone and was told by the middle of next month they would be in. Now I am fumin', 2 different stories does not sit well with me. So I called the 1-800-4-RIDGID number and talked briefly to a woman who had me on hold for nearly 15 minutes. She came back and said the were indeed on backorder till October.......BUT, she had a re-furbished one she could send me to use while I wait (no idea if it gets sent back) and it will be at my house either Friday or Monday. Now I feel a little better. My repair facility will now order the part needed and the batteries and hopefully I should be running in a week or so. Because of the 2 shipments, I have to pay shipping on the batteries and drill part, then again for the charger when and if it comes in. Now, watcha think the chances are I get a NiCad charger instead of the Lithium charger, which would be my luck. Sorry for my ramblings.

Comment

Last update. I picked up everything from the repair place on Monday (minus the replacement charger). I received my refurb'd one from ridgid the week before and to my suprise they sent me one that does both NiCad and Lithium. The replacement charger still isn't due in till October, but when it comes in it will be put away for when needed. So atleast I am back up and working, for how long though we will see.

Comment

Last update. I picked up everything from the repair place on Monday (minus the replacement charger). I received my refurb'd one from ridgid the week before and to my suprise they sent me one that does both NiCad and Lithium. The replacement charger still isn't due in till October, but when it comes in it will be put away for when needed. So atleast I am back up and working, for how long though we will see.
                      Spin......Thanks for keeping us appraised with the steps you went through and the result. Many posts seem to express the same problem you incurred with the service center. If they have a problem receiving the parts from Ridgid they are not real good at communicating that situation to the customer or follow up with Ridgid to find a solution.
                      Just curious, was the battery and drill problem related? You had stated that the batts wouldn't charge to full capacity and that you had a trigger control and seeming loss of one of the drill "gears"?
                      thanks...Ray
                      Last edited by roadrashray; 07-15-2008, 07:16 PM.

Comment

roadrashray, I honestly don't know if the problems were related. This all happened on the same day, so one would think that somehow they are, but can't confirm. The trigger issue was the speed issue. They replaced something with the trigger which remedied that fact it would only go into high while using the 3.0 battery. And for a good chuckle, the charger that was not supposed to be hear intil October, came in on Wednesday last week.

Comment

roadrashray............................... And for a good chuckle, the charger that was not supposed to be hear intil October, came in on Wednesday last week.
                          Yep......I've had the same kind of early arrival surprises!!! I just kind of figure they came up with enough money to boost the speed on that old container ship from China land.
                          The problem you related with the Service Center failing to keep you informed about the status of repair items on order seems all to common. Is it a right hand, left hand problem or are they just indifferent, or something else?......

Comment

Working...
                          X