Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Milwaukee Hole Hawgs on eBay

PlumbersCrack

Please don't use a true Forestner bit in a Hole Hawg. What you want is what are called Self Fed or Self Feeding bits. Please see picture below. You can get a nice big one like 4-1/8 or 4-5/8 and really attack a 2 x 8 with it. Do be careful.
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
      PlumbersCrack

Please don't use a true Forestner bit in a Hole Hawg. What you want is what are called Self Fed or Self Feeding bits. Please see picture below. You can get a nice big one like 4-1/8 or 4-5/8 and really attack a 2 x 8 with it. Do be careful.
      Yea self feed that what I meant. What's the difference between that and Forestner?

4-5/8" Yikes!

to correct my earlier post, I got the drill case from The Tool Depot not Toolup. My bad

Comment

Originally posted by plumberscrack View Post
        Yea self feed that what I meant. What's the difference between that and Forestner?

the forestner is a non self feeding bit used for flat bottom holes. because of this you would need to apply lots of pressure to feed the bit into the wood. plus it drills a real clean hole and usually used in a drill press.

do you really need that clean of a hole on your jobs at the white house

4-5/8" Yikes!

look into the 1 tooth hole saws. lennox makes them now and drilling a
        4 5/8" hole can be done with 1 hand. remember your only removing a 1/4'' strip of wood with the hole saw. not 4 5/8'' of shavings.

to correct my earlier post, I got the drill case from The Tool Depot not Toolup. My bad
        the super hawg has a clutch in low gear now. i've never slipped it. i don't know how much it takes to slip. i would still brace between the studs, cause i've met you and your no stud

see you at the roundup

rick.
        phoebe it is

Comment

They're similar, but a forstner has no worm bit...I might be wrong, but I think forstner bits are more geared for countersinking and shallow holes.

Comment

I found a new blow molded case from Tooldepots.com for $24.75 .
            I wonder if the Ridgid would fit into this case?
            sigpicSeldom Wrong, BUT Never in Doubt

Comment

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
              the super hawg has a clutch in low gear now. i've never slipped it. i don't know how much it takes to slip. i would still brace between the studs, cause i've met you and your no stud

see you at the roundup

rick.
              A six inch hole saw onto a nail will get the old clutch a chattering.
              sigpic

Comment

Self feeding bits work nice but you are basically cutting the entire area of the wood where the hole saw cuts a thin line around the edge of the hole. Makes a big difference on the life of the bit. You may want to also checkout Milwaukee's hole saw kits specific to plumbing such as the 10 Piece Hole Saw Plumbers Kit 49-22-4145 or 7 piece Big Hawg Hole Saw Kit 49-56-9075. Big Hawg has only 3 hardened tips for cutting so it takes the occasional nail a little better and should last longer.

Jay
                Ohio Power Tool - Ridgid
                Coptool - Power Tool Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Jay6 View Post
                  Self feeding bits work nice but you are basically cutting the entire area of the wood where the hole saw cuts a thin line around the edge of the hole. Makes a big difference on the life of the bit. You may want to also checkout Milwaukee's hole saw kits specific to plumbing such as the 10 Piece Hole Saw Plumbers Kit 49-22-4145 or 7 piece Big Hawg Hole Saw Kit 49-56-9075. Big Hawg has only 3 hardened tips for cutting so it takes the occasional nail a little better and should last longer.
                  I agree 100%.
                  Dragging wood chips out of my shirt, pants and hair.
                  Trying to force the bit to finish off the hole you're cutting so you don't have to stop and get the file to resharpen the bit, because you just hit a nail and had to get the channel locks, then struggle to attempt to get the nail out.
                  After experiencing medical problems with my back, I opted to take the extra time to pull out the wood block from the hole saw after each 1-1/2" layer, rather than push myself more towards the need for back surgery down the road from overhead drilling through plates & joists with bits that fight to rip my arms off.
                  I currently have a full set of Lennox saws, but those Milwaukee bits have my attention...the fact that the teeth are hardened steel as opposed to carbide means that, worst case scenario even if they can't handle nails, I can at least sharpen them.

Comment

Originally posted by harley130 View Post
                    I wonder if the Ridgid would fit into this case?
                    Not into the case for the Super Hawg it's too long and the handle is off center to balance the weight. The Ridgid drill looks more like the regular Hole Hawg. Might fit into that case. www.tooldpots.com website must be down but keep trying.

Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post

see you at the roundup

rick.
                    Do you say these things just to hurt my feelings? It's OK. I can take rejection.

Well, what am I supposed to do? You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not going to be ignored!

I taught the neighbors dog to bark your name. It's sounds like he's saying 'Rock' but he's getting better

I saw a cloud today...looked alot like you

Comment

Do you say these things just to hurt my feelings? It's OK. I can take rejection.

Well, what am I supposed to do? You won't answer my calls, you change your number. I mean, I'm not going to be ignored!

I taught the neighbors dog to bark your name. It's sounds like he's saying 'Rock' but he's getting better

I saw a cloud today...looked alot like you [/QUOTE]

I'll tell you what. . . . at the roundup, lets switch. You can have Rick and I will stay with Anita!
                      I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Welcome, Phoebe Jacqueline!

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post
                        I'll tell you what. . . . at the roundup, lets switch. You can have Rick and I will stay with Anita!
                        You can't just give him away. For him to be truly mine he has to let go of you first

Comment

You can't just give him away. For him to be truly mine he has to let go of you first
                          You should just take what you can get
                          I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

Originally posted by MrsSeatDown View Post

I saw a cloud today...looked alot like you
                            I'll tell you what. . . . at the roundup, lets switch. You can have Rick and I will stay with Anita![/quote]

Who gets the K-60?

Mark
                            "Somewhere a Village is Missing Twelve Idiots!" - Casey Anthony

I never lost a cent on the jobs I didn't get!

Comment

Originally posted by ToUtahNow View Post
                              Who gets the K-60?

Mark[/QUOTE]

Not my problem Since you already have the suite booked. . . and the blonde wig. . . .
                              I love my plumber

"My Hero"

Comment

The Ridgid heavy duty right angle drill is styled much more like the Milwaukee 1675 classic Hole Hawg. It may well fit into their case #48-55-0111.
                                http://www.milwaukeetool.com/webapp/..._192334_192327

I would like to see some of the "Wood Choppers" on this forum make up nice custom fit wood cases for power tools with well thought out storage for both the tool and accessories. Such would not come cheap but a well thought out case (to me anyway) would be well worth some good $$$ if made right.

Comment

Working...
                                X