which diamond coring setup?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• which diamond coring setup?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Flex, Milwaukee, MK, HILTI, Dynatech, Shibuya, Cardi Core, Golz .......
    There are so many machines out there. I need a rig that will do holes from 2" - 16" and is not to heavy to carry around. I am leaning towards the Shibuya ( the one my company has ) or the Hilti ( only because i always hear about how good the brand is ). The thing is the Shibuya costs around 2000 for everything ( excluding bits ) and the hilti will run me around 8000 (excluding bits) . Is the milwaukee quality compared to the hilit? Is the shibuya any good or do i like it just because its all i have used? Are there any companies that i missed that are worth looking into?

Re: which diamond coring setup?

We got a brand new Milwaukee core set-up at our last job,it was returned promptly for a dewalt setup.I can't remember the exact model,but it had issues with the crank,it was a round hole that went over a square shaft...it just seemed really "cheap"...

Comment

[QUOTE=UA22PLumberdude;144251]We got a brand new Milwaukee core set-up at our last job,it was returned promptly for a dewalt setup.I can't remember the exact model,but it had issues with the crank,it was a round hole that went over a square shaft...it just seemed really "cheap"...[/QUOTE

thanks for the reply. I did not know dewalt even made a coring machine. I looked on there site and could not find any info. Could you please send me a link to some info on their product.
      ]

Comment

Cardi has changed and they cord is set up for 30 amp. Unless you can handle it. Don't get that one.

Milwaukee - Those are just garbage. The entire set-up is cheap except for the motor.

Target- Now that is a good set up with a Great motor. You can get a Dewalt motor or a Milwaukee motor on this thing and it will last you a long time.

Hilti- Only if you want to get nailed by the Hilti geek everytime. The machine only takes hilti bits. Cha-Ching!

Comment

It comes down to how many holes are you drilling per month? per year?

I charge $80/hole up to 4" diameter with 8" depth.(no x-ray) $10 per inch after that. This will easily pay for wear and tear on machine and bits. With the right machine you can make a killing. I only use a Hilti machine with Hilti bits. Sometimes we use an adapter on the Dewalt bits

Comment

http://www.procontractorsupplyinc.com/core_drills.htm

The fourth one down,they're pretty solid for us.I think you can get spacers for them to accomadate 16" bits.We rarely have to do anything bigger then 10" tho...It's not really a Dewalt "set-up",it is a dewalt motor though.

The problem we had with the milwaukee wasn't so much in the motor,it was the base..model number 4120...just really cheap.

I've never used a hilti core machine,so I can't say they're worth the premium they ask.I do like their tools though..we have TE2 hammer drills you just can't kill..

Comment

hilti or shibuya , i have used the dd130, it goes to 6". can be hand held. some what fragile. started for a company and they purchased one about the same time, i worked and stayed hour and half away, needing to core, i had it brought up,it was worn and in disrepair. figure they got about 3 yrs. out of it. got so disgusted i looked around and bought a shibuya 162. does up to 9" with no spacers, tilt base up to 45 degrees, comes with a suit case which the base fits in. draw backs are has lots of parts. if your the only one using it i recommend shibuya. it'll do 9". both are good machines. i paid about 1500.00. i think the hilti was more. i'd buy another one, if i needed to go big i'd i'd buy one of those too.

Comment

Wow thanks for the quick replies everyone. I think I’ll go with the shibuya by the sounds of things. I am only planning on using it for small side work for some cash on the weekend and such. Will the shibuya last a couple years for say maybe 5 holes a week and a careful operator? Where is a good place to purchase one? Also what are good bits to use that wont break the bank and are easy to find.

Comment

i actually have one of the shibuya coring stands that i use for the smaller stuff.
                  i mount the weka 3 speed drill on this and it's lite compared to the larger milwaukee stands i have.

the milwaukee's are good for large floor holes and with a vacuum base.

then there is the gas 2 stroke for a quick hand held hole in a curb or a wall.

chances are you will have to have a large base mounted machine and a smaller hand held unit. make sure you buy good high concentration diamond bits, as this is the trick for longevity of the bit and the motor.

unless you're a pro coring guy, i doubt you'll ever get a call for larger than a 10'' hole.

rick.
                  phoebe it is

Comment

Working...
                  X