X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forrest WWII - thin or full kerf

I have the Ridgid TS3650 and am about to pull the trigger on a WWII blade. Should I get the full kerf or the thin kerf? There seems to be mixed opinions about both. What do the experts here think?

Re: Forrest WWII - thin or full kerf

I have several thin kerf blades from my past days with a Ryobi TS, one of them a WWII. Since getting the 3650 I have purchased full kerf blades. Both work well but I prefer the full kerf. The 3650 has absolutely no problems with it and I much prefer having a 1/8" blade instead of 3/32.
    HTH
    ken
    Poplar Branch Wood Crafts

Comment

I started with full kerf not knowing any better, and then was given a TK WWII by a friend. The TK made a big drop in the feed pressure required in thicker woods and the cut was terrific. Nearly all of my blades are TK now. Calculating kerf width is definitely trickier with a TK though, but overall the benefits are well worth it IMHO.
      Last edited by hewood; 05-24-2008, 08:38 AM.

Comment

You have to be careful what you are cutting with a tk. Cut 3" walnut with a tk and you may find that the blade may wander a bit. Cutting large solids or trimming at the edge with no pressure on one side of the blade will have the potential to the blade bowing on you. But for the most part Hewood is correct there is less feed pressure needed. If you can afford it buy both.
        When ever I rough cut my hardwood for a project I always use the full kerf. I have been bitten once so I am twice shy.

Comment

A rip blade, 24 FT, is best for 3". I prefer the FK due to the ability to absorb more heat in the larger teeth and thicker plate. The 3650 motor is not the best for 3" hardwood cutting with anyblade. A bandsaw would be better or a 3hp+ true cab saw.
          BTW a WWII is not designed to cut 3" depth. The Freuds I have are very good for rip cuts, 24th. I would use the TK with the splitter adjusted slightly[aligned with the teeth edges] toward the fence to pressure away from the blade teeth to reduce binding.

Comment

Working...
          X