• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Plastic or Stainless shop vacs?

Which drum type is better?

Re: Plastic or Stainless shop vacs?

Plastic!!!!! For me anyhow......

SS, gives you a static shock all the time, well on a cement floor it does. Then you'd have to attach a chain to the housing and let it drag on the floor to stop the shocking (grounding it out) that goes on.

They both work, so its like plastic or paper, spend more or spend less....
    Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Please check the electrical grounding on that SS vac with static problems. I have way more static trouble with plastic drum vacs than SS or painted steel.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
        Please check the electrical grounding on that SS vac with static problems. I have way more static trouble with plastic drum vacs than SS or painted steel.
        It has nothing to do with the electrical grounding, these machines create static like crazy.
        Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Hmmmm Now you got me really wondering. I have an old Clark commercial wet/dry vac that I've used many times and never had any static issues. Which Shop Vac are you having the troubles with? Try making sure the drum really is grounded when the motor head is on top of it. If the motor head is plastic there's a good chance the drum isn't grounded at all.

Personally I like the plastic drum vacs as they don't dent up and are easier to clean out. No darn seams in the bottom to trap dirt. As long as it's heavy enough and a good quality plastic the drum should last way longer than the rest of the machine.

Comment

I have never had any isues with the Ridgid plastic drums. I see no real advantage to the metal. The new vacs are so much quieter, I really like the WD1650[I think that is the # ,the 16gal in the plastic]

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
              Hmmmm Now you got me really wondering. I have an old Clark commercial wet/dry vac that I've used many times and never had any static issues. Which Shop Vac are you having the troubles with? Try making sure the drum really is grounded when the motor head is on top of it. If the motor head is plastic there's a good chance the drum isn't grounded at all.

Personally I like the plastic drum vacs as they don't dent up and are easier to clean out. No darn seams in the bottom to trap dirt. As long as it's heavy enough and a good quality plastic the drum should last way longer than the rest of the machine.
              I no longer have that problem, I will only buy plastic now. Sure, even these charge up static, but rarely do I get a static shock.

Comment

I have two shop vacs. Both are RIDGID plastic models. I haven't ever experienced any static with either one and I use the heck out of them. The 9 gal. one I use around the house, and my 12 gal. one is out in my shop.

Comment

I have a couple of plastic vacs. Both build up quite a bit of static. When I hook it to my planer, the chips actually jump out of the drum (like popping corn) when I take the top off to empty it. I have never gotten a shock from it, but that may be because I usually wear rubber soled shoes.

Go
                  Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

It seems that some people are more prone to static shocks than others.
                    I don't know if it's the clothes they wear or the type of hair they have?
                    My poor wife gets a pretty good zap on just about any metal she touches? and sometimes you can actually hear the snap!
                    I can walk thru the same room ahead or behind her, she gets the static shock and I get nothing?
                    She has tried wearing different clothes, shoes and spraying her clothes with anti static spray with no avail. She even builds up a charge sometimes on wood floors!
                    I told her to always touch metal before pumping gas, It scares me she may ignite the fumes while pumping the gas. She tells me she is also more charged during lighting storms!

Her nickname is magneto and Electra woman.

I'm gonna tell her to try walking around the house totally naked for a day just as an experiment , may not solve the problem ... but it could be a hell of a lot of fun!!!!
                    Last edited by Davet; 05-30-2008, 04:48 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Davet View Post
                      I'm gonna tell her to try walking around the house totally naked for a day just as an experiment , may not solve the problem ... but it could be a hell of a lot of fun!!!!
                      Now that's how to create some sparks right there!!!

Comment

this is the evolution of the shop vacs.

the real, real old craftsman i have is a paper/ cardboard tank design. defiantly not a wet vac.

then came the painted/ epoxy coated steel tanks. this is where the stainless shined as the painted unit would peel and rust out if not throughly cleaned and dried.

the stainless wasn't prone to this rotting.

then the plastic units.

these i feel are the best of both worlds.

strong, doesn't rot, drain valves.

the evolution of the shop vac.

and yes i have at least a dozen asst. 2 gal. to 35 gal. vacs. how can you pass up the $29 holiday special at h.d?

rick.
                        phoebe it is

Comment

[quote=PLUMBER RICK;146711]and yes i have at least a dozen asst. 2 gal. to 35 gal. vacs. how can you pass up the $29 holiday special at h.d?/quote]
                          Unfortunately the nice filters are another $29.

Comment

[quote=cpw;146717]
                            Originally posted by PLUMBER RICK View Post
                            and yes i have at least a dozen asst. 2 gal. to 35 gal. vacs. how can you pass up the $29 holiday special at h.d?/quote]
                            Unfortunately the nice filters are another $29.
                            fortunately, most of my pick up is wet. so i don't need those filters

flooded basements, saw cutting slurry, waste and muck.

i guess a vacuum truck would be more in order

rick.

it's the hoyt asbestos filter that i'm worried about $$$.
                            phoebe it is

Comment

Just as a side note, just because the vac has a stainless cannister does not mean it will not build up a static charge. When I worked acft we used stainless vacs during all the sanding and abrasive blasting, To prevent static spark, we had to have positive electrically conductive connection from the tool, through and including the hose, to the vac motor and cannister, and then to a ground.
                              Didn't do it naked, tho, so don't know if that would have helped!!

Go
                              Practicing at practical wood working

Comment

Working...
                              X