Cordless router, anyone?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cordless router, anyone?

My PC router just bought the farm, and I'm in the market for a new one.
    As a vehement hater of power cords, I'm tempted by the PC cordless router.
    I know it can't have the same power as its corded brother, but I don't need too much power in a router.
    Has anyone owned or used this or any other cordless router?

Re: Cordless router, anyone?

I have this router. It's a great piece...when used in situations it was designed for. I use mine for quick little pick-up work, i.e. when I have to rout one or two strike plate mortises or a few hinges and don't feel like rolling out a lot of extention cords. It's not really too good as a primary router. It's a bit bulky and awkward and friggin expensive. I've had mine for about 4 years(?) and as far as I can remember it cost close to $400 (sorry, don't know the current price). It also chews through batteries really fast.
    So, my recomendation, don't buy this as a primary router. It's a good back up or third router.
    Hope this helped.

Jack
    ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Thanks Jack,
      That's exactly what I'll be using it for - hanging a few doors each month.
      Do you happen to have the jig saw that uses the same battery?

Comment

You're welcome.
        No, I don't have any other tools that use that battery. I was thinking about the PC drill set when I bought the router, then had a change of heart.
        ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
          Thanks Jack,
          That's exactly what I'll be using it for - hanging a few doors each month.
          Do you happen to have the jig saw that uses the same battery?
          Dunno if it is of interest to you, but the Ryobi cordless trim router does a great job in the hanging door realm. I used it extensively for routing hinge mortises and what-not throughout our house.

I also use it it for general roundover duty (doors.. outdoor furniture.. various projects), and even for some template pattern routing. Overall, a handy little tool. And it costs far less than the P-C. However, it only has a 1/4" collet, so know that going in.

As a side benefit, the One+ line has such a plethora of tools that share the same battery, it's a decent investment (but still cheap) to have some random, useful items. Cordless fan, anyone? The One+ impact driver rocks, as well, IMO. 10" cordless chainsaw... Anyway, not trying to push the line, but I'm a happy owner of about 20 One+ tools, and I think it might be the only other cordless router-type tool.

And, a big wave from a fellow Wisconsonite. :-)

Comment

I just went to the Ryobi site - I had no idea how broad their line of cordless tools was.
            String trimmer!
            Car buffer!
            Pole pruner!
            They put a battery on everything.
            I bet they'd stick a battery on a tape measure if they could!

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
              I just went to the Ryobi site - I had no idea how broad their line of cordless tools was.
              String trimmer!
              Car buffer!
              Pole pruner!
              They put a battery on everything.
              I bet they'd stick a battery on a tape measure if they could!
              I can't actually find some of the things that they have in the catalog (buffer and planer).

I'm firmly of the opinion that if there is a way to do something with electricity or gasoline, that is the way that I want to do it.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                I can't actually find some of the things that they have in the catalog (buffer and planer).

I'm firmly of the opinion that if there is a way to do something with electricity or gasoline, that is the way that I want to do it.
                Sometimes these tools are not where you'd expect them to be in HD (e.g. the tool area). For example, the cordless chainsaw is ... with the chainsaws! The buffer, if I recall, should be in the tool section, and in our store is specifically in the sanding section. The planer should be with the other electric hand planers of that ilk.

The pruner, blower, etc are generally in the gardening section.

Of the 25 or so of these One+ tools that I have, the cordless ROS is the only one I regret buying and feel is sub-par.

Comment

Originally posted by Wood_Junkie View Post
                  Sometimes these tools are not where you'd expect them to be in HD (e.g. the tool area). For example, the cordless chainsaw is ... with the chainsaws! The buffer, if I recall, should be in the tool section, and in our store is specifically in the sanding section. The planer should be with the other electric hand planers of that ilk.

The pruner, blower, etc are generally in the gardening section.

Of the 25 or so of these One+ tools that I have, the cordless ROS is the only one I regret buying and feel is sub-par.
                  I was very unhappy with the One+ "Tuff Sucker", it had very little suck. It is the only tool that I've actually used and then returned (2 days after I bought it under the 30 satisfaction guarantee).

Comment

I have never had one of those "dirt devil" style vacs that ever worked a damn for me. I did pick up the Ryobi wet/dry vac the other day and I'll see how that works this weekend. The sprayer works pretty good, so much so that I was looking to pick up another. Unfortunately they are stocked in my HD about once a millenium.

Comment

Working...
                    X