Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• SDS+ Rotary Hammer Drills?

Hello All,

Need any input/experience/recommendation for any users of SDS+ Hammer Drills. I have narrowed my search down to two models: Dewalt D25313K (1") / Bosch 11255VSR (1" - Extreme Bulldog). My initial use will be to chip out a section of cinder block around a water line to cap it, but surely will find future uses. Both have similar features, and I do want the ability to reverse direction, but I wander about design, versatility, and durability?

Thanks,
    Brad
    "If you're gonna hoot with the owls, you've got to soar with the eagles!"

Re: SDS+ Rotary Hammer Drills?

Both are very good models. You can't really go wrong with either. I would recommend an L handle like the Dewalt rather that the D handle. D-Hadle hammers are substantially longer and can really be a pain in tight spaces. You don't really need to worry about durability. Both of those should give years of reliable service. I have a Dewalt 25304 which is the model that was substituted by the one you're looking at. It also has the interchangeable chuck which is not as useful as you'd think. I've had it for years and it is run countless times for hours at a time of continuos chipping and it's still going strong. I also have the D handle 25203 which I've had for even longer under the same use.
    Last edited by Velosapien; 05-27-2008, 06:43 PM.

Comment

I'm a big fan of Hilti and Milwaukee but of your choices the Bosch sounds best. Consider using Hilti bits , they cost more but give great performance.

Comment

Also, It seems like this tool would be better served corded rather than cordless, but I have no experience with either. Ebay has quite a few 18v cordless SDS drills (Dewalt), but not the same type of power ratings. What's the opinion on corded vs. cordless for a tool like this?

Thanks,
        Brad

Comment

I bought a Hitachi for short money when I needed an SDS on short notice.
          It has served me well and I beat it hard.
          As for a battery SDS, I couldn't possibly use one for what I use mine for, concrete slabs & foundations.

Comment

Thanks for the input. I decided to go with the Dewalt D25314K model (same as D25313K, but with quick chg chuck). I'll post any issues, if any - hopefully not.

Thanks again.

Comment

I see you all ready went with the Dewalt. Either way you are getting a great tool. Hilti makes one of the best, but a lot more expensive.
              Free power tool website with free woodworking plans

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com

Comment

Working...
              X