Nailer; Compressor help needed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nailer; Compressor help needed

Need suggestions on which nailers and compressor would be needed for trim work, building cabinet drawers, crown molding, and small wood projects using hard and soft woods.

Re: Nailer; Compressor help needed

Well what I have is the Ridgid OF45150 compressor and the ridgid R250FSA 16ga. nailer and the Ridgid R213BNA 18ga. nailer and all of them I have had no problems withdoing what you said in your post

I'm very happy with all the fine ridgid tools that I have

Bob

Comment

You might also think about the Porter Cable 3 gun kit which is available at Depot. Compressor, Finish, Brad and stapler all for under $300 which is the best deal for any combo kit.

Comment

Check out Home Depot. I was there this weekend and saw that they had that silly looking Ridgid mini-wheelbarrow compressor, including the Ridgid finish nailer for about $300.
        Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

HD had the aluminum air compressor from 299 to 199 model OL50135AL

Comment

I have the Ridgid 2.5 gallon aluminum twin-stack air compressor along with the R213 brad nailer, and they work excellent for me for doing what you're looking at. However, I do think the 2.5 gallon aluminum compressor is a thing of the past now. But like Pyroron said, the 5 gallon version of the aluminum twin-stack air compressor is marked down to $199 now. That, along with the brad nailer (and/or the stapler and finish nailer also), would work excellent to do everything you're wanting. And yes, that new wheelbarrow compressor that Ridgid has comes with the finish nailer - that might be a better snag for you, but I'm not sure what the price is on that.

Comment

I have a pancake compressor (5 gallon) an aluminum 2.5 Ridgid, and the one gallon senco compressor. For what you are doing any would work well. If you think you may use the compressor for something bigger than trim and light duty nailing someday, go with a 5 gallon, but if you are going to be hauling it around and mostly doing trim work the one gallon compressors on the market are great. They are so light, small and quiet.

I have a 23 gauge, 18 g, 16 g nailers and 1/4 inch crown stapler. The 23 gauge pinner is awesome for doing trim work on cabinets because it leaves almost no hole to fill. For what I do my trim is all prefinished and it leaves a hole so small it rarely needs to even be filled. I also use 1/4 crown stapler a lot to fabricate cabinets and add parting stops to cabinets all the time, but I am always going to laminate the face frames with either veneer or formica so the big holes it leaves are not an issue, but for drawer boxes and building the cabinets in this application it cant be beat for strength. I seldom use my 16, or 18 gauge nailers unless I need longer fastners than the stapler takes.

The 23 gauge pinner is a senco and came with the 1 gallon compressor. All my other guns are Ridgid, and I absolutely love them. Although I haven't fired a whole lot of nails through my 16 and 18 gauge, I have fired thousands of staples and have never once had a jam in any of them. Ridgid also sells a 23 gauge pinner, though it is hard to find I think. I am so pleased with my Ridgid air tools I will always look to them first when I am in the market from now on. This sounds like a corny sales pitch, but I will complain with the best of them about any brand, believe me.

I have a couple of co-workers who use that Husky compressor that looks like a carry on suitcase with good reports, and I have also heard good things about the DeWalt 1 gallon trim compressor.

Eli

PS If you do a search on compressors there was a good thread with lots of good tips on deciding what size to go for and personal experiences with different brands a few months ago.
              Last edited by woodenstickers; 05-28-2008, 11:47 PM.
              A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I have the ubiquitous red pancake Porter Cable kit and have abused it for many years and it works like a champ.
                However, it is heavy and awkward and a pain to move around. So if you're doing mostly light work (meaning you're not running a framing nailer) I think you'd be better off with a little aluminum model like Stickers said.
                Oh, and be sure to get yourself a polyurethane air hose - they make a big difference.

Comment

Originally posted by Dairylander View Post
                  Oh, and be sure to get yourself a polyurethane air hose - they make a big difference.
                  Nah, go ahead and get the PVC hose. The entertainment value to onlookers as you wrestle with it is priceless!
                  Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

I've got a small 1 gallon dewalt compressor (d55140) that is perfect for your applications. I use it for crown, building cabinets, doing various trim jobs (casings, mouldings, etc). I use mostly 18g nails, but also use 16g. Def gonna pick up a 24 g pin nailer soon!

This compressor is really light and very quiet.

Comment

Working...
                    X