Air Hose

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Air Hose

CPW, check out the burst and operating pressures for ridgid PVC. I usggested this as a cheap way to route air around a fixed area, which could be tapped off of in several locations along it's length.

PVC and CPVC Pipes
    Nominal Pipe Size
    (inches) Required Minimum Burst Pressure
    (psi) Maximum Operating Pressure
    (psi)
    Schedule 401) Schedule 802) Schedule 40 Schedule 80
    1/2 1910 2720 358 509
    3/4 1540 2200 289 413
    1 1440 2020 270 378
    1 1/4 1180 1660 221 312
    1 1/2 1060 1510 198 282
    The schedule 80 is very strong stuff. I'd have to agree with you that if bursting is a concern the copper should be safer. I wonder if black pipe would be a problem because of moisture and rust?

Comment

I just got the blue poly. A couple of years ago, I told my friend who just bought a compressor, to definitely get a rubber hose.
      When I got one last month, even the rubber hoses were all made in china...so I got the blue...
      1. I like blue..
      2. Larger diameter.
      3. Not too many options around for USA anything..much less air hose.

womp womp!

Comment

I'm down in Painted Post, near Corning... weather being what it is and basements around here being what they are, I'd go with the rubber hose. If you want to check other sources and prices, look at your local Tractor Supply store. Stuff there is usually cheaper than buying from the big box stores.

I bought two rubber hoses back in the late 70's and still have one that works fine, lays flat in all kinds of temperatures, but it a pain to roll up... I'd like to get a reel, but they're not cheap.

The other hose, I didn't take care of and it ended up falling off the back of the steel shelf where I stored it. It layed there for some time (I'm embarassed to say how long) and when I was cleaning out the basement I found that it had rotted. The hose that stayed dry though is still great and I use it in my future home in Binghamton. So for the investment, it will last you a long, long time; as long as you take care of it.

CWS

Comment

Am I the only sucker?

I paid $40 for the fancy / supple rubber hose from Ridgid. I had planned on campaigning for it as a Christmas gift, but I had a lot of work to do in October, and when I built a porch at my rental house in November, I decided I couldn't wait. I'm very happy with this hose. I kept the blue hose because it might be useful this summer when I'm building a deck at my camp.

The $40 Ridgid gray fancy dancy hose gets my vote.

You wouldn't believe how many hours this equipment has on it for a weekend warrior.
          And no I am not licensed for this type of work.

Comment

Yea olde saying from yea howling hound.

Quality only cost more until you use it, then it actually costs far less than the cheap junk. Please everyone think about the PITA factor that kicks in when things go wrong in the middle of a very special job. Quality tools and accessories are investments that will pay you back. Junk is money tossed into a fire.

Comment

Costco has a 50' braided blue poly 1/4" lightweight hose for $13.49, excellent for brad nailers and light use.
              For HD use I have 1/2" Goodyear red rubber hoses from HFT. I also use 3/8" smooth green poly hoses from Amflo.
              I have the $10 PVC hoses which I do not like in the cold, too stiff.

Comment

Re: Am I the only sucker?

Originally posted by Kneescar View Post
                The $40 Ridgid gray fancy dancy hose gets my vote.
                I voted for the RIDGID hose this afternoon. The box claims it handles like an extension cord, and so far that seems to be true; but I'll let you know if I still think so after I finish up the two chairs and the closet I am working on. Also the $40 is in reality a bit cheaper than the 100' poly because it comes with both quick connects already attached.

Thanks to all for the good insights.

Comment

The Coctco poly hose is $13 for 50 feet, and you want 100'?
                  $80 for 100' of the Ridgid is way over priced. QD are $2.78 for female auto connect at Lowes or HD , $1 for the male. I do no understand your math.
                  Amazon has yellow rubber, soft goodyear hose 3/8" made in USA 3/8" ,50' for $20.
                  http://www.amazon.com/GoodYear-045-8...2446257&sr=1-1

Comment

Originally posted by Andrew M. View Post
                    The Coctco poly hose is $13 for 50 feet, and you want 100'?
                    $80 for 100' of the Ridgid is way over priced. QD are $2.78 for female auto connect at Lowes or HD , $1 for the male. I do no understand your math.
                    Amazon has yellow rubber, soft goodyear hose 3/8" made in USA 3/8" ,50' for $20.
                    http://www.amazon.com/GoodYear-045-8...2446257&sr=1-1
                    I only wanted 50', 100' provides no value to me at least right now and I would have had to deal with 50' more of hose to tangle.
                    I was probably unclear in my original post, what I meant is that RIDGID was $40 with the fittings. The 100' poly at HD would have been about $45 with the fittings, so the RIDGID (I understand for 1/2 the length) actually does come out slightly cheaper in comparison.

Amazon would have been a better deal, but I was impatient. If I had a Costco nearby and was a member, then I would have gotten the Poly. The only discount warehouse that is reasonable from my house is BJs.

Comment

Working...
                    X