X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Air Hose

Need to get an air hose for my finish/bad nailer to replace the cheap recoil hose that came with a Husky starter fittings kit. I don't think I will need more than 50'. The options at HD seem to be:
    - 50' Orange PVC $10
    - 50' Blue PVC $20
    - 100' Poly $40
    - 50' RIDGID Rubber Flexpress $40.

Anyone know the difference between the Orange and Blue PVC, except the cheaper one has a better warranty?

I would go with Poly based on what people on the board have said, but they only have 100'. I'm not sure if a 100' poly hose will be more manageable than a 50' PVC one.

How does rubber stack up against poly and PVC?

I thought about Amazon for a 50' poly hose for $30, but am not sure I want to wait the 2 weeks for it to arrive.

Re: Air Hose

Do you have the proper licensing for this type work?

Comment

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Check the specs for PSI ratings...odd that the cheaper has a better warranty, my guess is it's void when used over it's rating.

Comment

I use Flexeel for short hoses for air tools, I use Goodyear rubber hose for lengths over twenty five feet. I avoid PVC air hose like the plague.

Comment

I use that ridgid hose. I cut my 50 footer in two and have two 25 footers now. I like that they sit very flat on the floor when they are laid out.

Eli
          A good carpenter makes few mistakes, a great carpenter can fix his own.

Comment

I'm ashamed to say I own 2 PVC 35'rs, never will I ever buy them again. Rubber is awesome in my climate, when it gets cold out, you want those hoses to be able to still flex when your rolling them up for the day. Poly, is not to shabby, I own probably 4 - 100'rs of the poly and a couple 50'rs. But for me, its only rubber from now on. Also, when its cold out, the rubber will lay down nicely. When hoses are sticking up 3-4"s because it won't lay down flat, they will trip everyone who tries to walk bye.

But, I need hoses and good ones, where as most other people just have a shop with a hose or two. So when this is the case, I don't think it matters too much what you buy, other then to make sure its the right ratings for what your needs are....
            Great Link for a Construction Owner/Tradesmen, and just say Garager sent you....

http://www.contractorspub.com

A good climbing rope will last you 3 to 5 years, a bad climbing rope will last you a life time !!!

Comment

Originally posted by DuckButter View Post

Sorry...couldn't resist.

Check the specs for PSI ratings...odd that the cheaper has a better warranty, my guess is it's void when used over it's rating.
              Its really wierd. The only difference in specs I could tell is the warranty as far as I can tell. They just label the blue one professional and the orange one economy.

Comment

Originally posted by cpw View Post
                Its really wierd. The only difference in specs I could tell is the warranty as far as I can tell. They just label the blue one professional and the orange one economy.
                I'd go by what Garager said, I use PVC pipe in cold weather and it gets extremely brittle...I can easy understand what he's saying.
                Your in about the same climate.
                Last edited by DuckButter; 05-31-2008, 09:25 PM.

Comment

Agree cold rubber seems to be the one you also get what you pay for and more than likely some day you'll have a low or flat tire in the cold months so rubber and I do have a goodyear 50 not sure of the others there are quicker places to get hose and possibly cheaper

Comment

I suspect you're a weekend warrior and will not use these every day.

I suggest you go for the orange hose at ten bucks..

Typically you can find the orange plivac [Goodyear] 3/8 hose for $25.00 at harbor freight.
                    this is oil resistant. It's rated at 300psi The hose is also abrrasion resistive and meets OSHA requirements

The blue runs around $12.00 for 50 feet at harbor freight It's also rated at 300psi

The black rubber hose is rated at 200psi and runs $20.00 for 50 feet.

I have the blue hose in 50 and 100 foot lengths. I have never had any issues with them in over 10 years. I also have a 25 foot roll of the orange plivac hose. This was suggested to me when I was experiencing CFM issues..The problem was never the hose but a restriction built into a hose reel.

I have not experienced any difference between the orange or the blue hoses. An advantage of the orange hose is it's bright and you'll see it and chances of tripping over it may be reduced a bit.

So, what to do? I'd say for the price go with your favorite color, orange or blue.

Cactus Man

Comment

CPW

Up where you are it does get cold in the winter. PVC hoses will get stiff like wood in the winter. Please do yourself a real favor and look in your yellow pages under "Rubber Products - Industrial" and call a few places. There are some other good USA bases companies that make quality air hose besides GoodYear and you may as well check them out. My idea is to buy a few really good 3/8" ID hoses and be done with it for years. You'll totally love the difference. Harbor Freight only touches what GoodYear makes. I personally have some nice hoses using a Boston Rubber Products hose with swivel ends on them and a custom crimped on sleeve. After over 15 years they are still very serviceable and in use. While it doesn't get as cold here, I can say that at 20F they are still easy to uncoil and then coil back up for storage. By all means it does pay off to get oil resistant inner sleeves and outer jacket. The color really is a personal choice but bright orange or yellow does show up better than dull colors do and especially under dim lighting.

If you do buy from Harbor Freight, please go with the orange ones. If you want to use quick couplers try to find a Foster dealer and go with standard industrial interchange ones. That way other brand products should work with them. Leave the Made In China stuff stay put. There's a reason why it's cheap and also why no serious dealer will sell it. KaPoom and the wicked flying whip comes to mind.

Comment

My vote is for "Rubber", and if you have a dedicated work area and don't want a lot of hose lying around consider running some ridgid pvc or other pipe against the wall or over the ceiling and rig a three or four outlet manifold to work off of. Depending on the space you have to work with, your compressor might even fit on an elevated shelf freeing up more floor space?

Comment

Originally posted by Frankiarmz View Post
                          My vote is for "Rubber", and if you have a dedicated work area and don't want a lot of hose lying around consider running some ridgid pvc or other pipe against the wall or over the ceiling and rig a three or four outlet manifold to work off of. Depending on the space you have to work with, your compressor might even fit on an elevated shelf freeing up more floor space?
                          Frankie,

I've got my unfinished basement, which although we aren't as cold as Minnesota can get pretty cold in the winter, which is why I think I'll go with the 50' rubber hose. I may be a weekend warrier, but if I'm doing this stuff at least in part to enjoy it, I don't want to go cheap and make myself hate the tools I'm working with. My theory is that it is probably OK to sacrifice on durability because I won't be working things too hard, but that I should think twice before sacrificing on performance [obviously I've got to do a bit of that too, but I want to at least realize what I'm doing].

I am pretty darn sure that you don't want to use PVC for air, because it turns into shrapnel. For air you should go copper or in plastic Pex-Al-Pex for it. My space and compressor are small enough (42'x12') that a 50' hose should work out pretty nicely though.

Comment

I would go with Poly based on what people on the board have said, but they only have 100'. I'm not sure if a 100' poly hose will be more manageable than a 50' PVC one.
                            How does rubber stack up against poly and PVC?
                            I thought about Amazon for a 50' poly hose for $30, but am not sure I want to wait the 2 weeks for it to arrive.[/quote]

CPW
                            FYI: If you have any interest in poly and if there is a Costco in your area they have the 50' poly for $12.99 and I think its good for 200psi

Comment

cpw, PVC is horrible even in warm California weather. I immediately regretted buying my PVC hose. I used it once, wrestled with it, then threw it in the trash. I couldn't roll it up nicely enough to store it. Harbor Freight had a genuine Goodyear 50' rubber hose on sale for something like $18, so I grabbed it. Easy to work with and rolls up perfectly. A lot of other people prefer the poly hose too, but I have never needed anything beyond the rubber hose. Some things you can skimp on, but your air hose isn't one of them.
                              Baseball is wrong - man with four balls cannot walk.

Comment

Working...
                              X