X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Review of the Milwaukee Compact Driver

I finally bought the Milwaukee 12v compact driver after much deliberation.

It arrived last week and when I opened it up my wife immediatley grabbed it thinking I had bought it for her. I very delicatly told her it was for me, she laughed and rolled her eyes.

It came in a soft case with two batteries, a charger and two bits. I charged both batteries and eagerly waited to put this tool to the test.

Milwaukee recommends that the largest screw you should install with this driver is a #6 with a full pilot hole. Ya ok.

First thing I wanted to do was see how many screws, with no pilot hole I could put in a 3" block of wood before it died. For my test I used 2 1/2" drywall screws. My expectation was around 60 screws.

This driver exceeded my expectations and I quit at 160 screws. It stll had two led's showing which meant I had used about 1/2 of its battery. I was very impressed.

Now, for the real world application, I put it in my tool bag and off to work I went. I used it daily from strapping up pipe, loosening no hub couplers bands, taking cover plates off of valves and finally using it to drive #14 x 2 1/2" screws used for a toilet flange. It did great.

I never had to change the battery. I still have 3 out of four led's showing. Maybe I should have left the charger at home.

I am very happy with this driver. Do they have room for improvements, yes.

One thing I had to immediatley get was a multi-tip driver as I use square, flat and phillips daily. The driver could have really used a bit holder. The other thing that I thought could have been better is the light on the driver. It is pretty bright but it does not shine on the screw. I also wish there was a way to activate the light to stay on all the time as usually I am in dark places (crawlspace, attics, trenches).

This driver is made in China. The batterys say they are made in Canada, Taiwan with further processing in China. Not cool. Can't we make our own tools?

When I was installing the toilet flange my 18v Dewalt battery died on me and then I remembered the Milwakee in my tool bag. I put the remaining six #14screws in with it, however I would not want to use it for doing that daily.

I am now considering the Milwaukee inspection camera since it will use the same battery. Wonder what country it is made in?

Time will tell how this driver does in the winter which has me curious.

Overall, I am very happy and felt it was well worth the 109.00 I paid for it.
    Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Re: Review of the Milwaukee Compact Driver

Thanks for the review. I've looked at that driver a few times myself. I like the compact size and that it uses li-ion batteries. I've been waiting for it to go on sale to justify the purchase of yet another tool.

My biggest complaint with the drill is not with the drill itself but with the soft case. I wish Milwaukee would have supplied a hard case for it. That soft case doesn't give much crush protection. Real tool cases shouldn't have to ride up front in the cab. LOL

Comment

I agree with you Pogster.

The soft case does not due it justice.

I bought mine on Ebay. 109.00 bucks shipped to my house, it was worth it.

Comment

[quote=Tyman;149391]

The soft case does not due it justice.quote]

Great review of the Milwaukee driver tested on the job. I used one of my old hard cases that I saved from the time when "decent" cordless drills were discarded or donated when new batteries were too expensive or new drill models were incompatible with older models. Modify or remove the inner plastic liner of an old hard case to make it custom for the Milwaukee.

Comment

the best driver i own and long battery life i love it

Comment

the case sucks but I'd wish for a holster for the drill cause it so small

Comment

That lithium Ion battery is great. It is the first one of that type that i own.

I am on my second week of using this tool and still on the same battery I put in after I did the test.

I just ordered the Milwaukee V28 four pack because I am so happy with the Milwaukee driver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tyman View Post
                This driver is made in China. The batterys say they are made in Canada, Taiwan with further processing in China.
                WHOO HOO! GO CANADA! We got our name in there!!!

Comment

That lithium Ion battery is great. It is the first one of that type that i own.

I am on my second week of using this tool and still on the same battery I put in after I did the test.

I just ordered the Milwaukee V28 four pack because I am so happy with the Milwaukee driver.
                  You'll want to grab the radio, impact wrench, and cordless vac to go along with that V28 4 pack. Awesome vac and wrench. Awesome sound from the radio......
                  I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

I definitly plan on getting the radio. Does it charge batteries like the Dewalt?

Comment

No charger - Dewalt has the patent on that. Milwaukee has the coolest radio out there. Besides....I hate the idea of a yellow power tool.

Then again, Dewalt does have cordless nailers, which would come in handy........
                      I'm on "The List" and I love it!!

Comment

[quote=Tyman;151519]I definitly plan on getting the radio. [quote]

I got my Milwaukee radio from Amazon for $54 + free shipping. The price changes daily/weekly. The radio is very Milwaukee-tool red, sounds good, and looks great in the workshop. Its a bit large for the jobsite so I usually park it in the shop and bring the Makita. The only negative is it only achieves maximum watts per channel with the V28 battery versus cord and reception could be better. But I can still crank it up with the three-mode equalizer.

Comment

I agree with you completely. We love the Milwaukee brand name, we just completed a review of the Miklwaukee Sawsall and gave it high rankings.
                          Free power tool website with free woodworking plans

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com

Comment

I use the Makita 14.4V and love it. All the impact drivers I've come in contact with work well when used within their power. For driving screws, you can't beat them. MUCH lighter, powerful, and rarely will you strip a screw. Even brass. Nothing removes stubborn screws better. Also, the Makita 14.4V battery cross references with some Ridgid products. (K-40B, Seesnake Compact).

I see Milwaukees got their Mini-Cam up on their website. Any benefits over the Ridgid Model???

J.C.

Comment

I definitly plan on getting the radio. Does it charge batteries like the Dewalt?
                              Nope. Only the DeWalt and the Bosch radios also charge the batteries.
                              Last edited by canucksartech; 06-17-2008, 07:48 PM. Reason: Added quote

Comment

Working...
                              X