X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• R2930 Router removing handles

How do you remove caps on handles of fixed base to get at M10 bolts? I need to squeeze it into router table. thanks.

Re: R2930 Router removing handles

It's a bit of a challenge, but can be done.

When mounting the fixed base into my Rockler table with the proper mounting plate, I found it necessary to only remove one handle.

The challenge was that when you look at the plugs in the handles, it looks like they've provided for removal by using the tip of a flat bladed screw driver to pry the plug out of position.

All I managed to do with a screwdriver was to pry off small chunks of the plug. It almost felt like they were glued in or something. After 20 minutes or so I just got frustraded and moved to something a bit more drastic.

The plugs aren't glued in, but they're not shallow caps either; which one might think, given the notches for the screwdriver tip. In fact, they are rather long, so the body of the plug sits deep into the hole. All the prying in the world, on only the upper edge of the plug will not remove them. It's rather like trying to use a screwdriver to pry a cork out of a wine bottle.

What I ended up doing was to grab a nail set (punch) and drove it into that plug (at the same edge where you'd stick the screwdriver) at about a 45 degree angle. This broke through the outer wall on the side of the plug, enbedding the nail set tip deeper into the plug where it offered a better advantage. Then, it just pryed right out with with no problem.

Be careful not to damage the rubber grip handle, which is something I feared would happen if I kept chewing away with the screwdriver.

I could dress up the plug a little with a file and re-use it; but, I doubt that I'll ever do that. If so, I'll just order a couple new plugs.

(Just thinking... maybe I should have used the wine cork method, and just drilled a hole in the end of the plug and put a screw in it which would have afforded a better grip. Then it should have just slid out nicely.)

I hope this helps,

CWS

Comment

Wow, CWSmith, you put a lot of thought into that. I fought mine for all of about 2 minutes (never been one for having a lot of patience), found a large drill bit and made the plugs disappear. Your way sounds a little less destructive!
      ‎"I've never let my schooling interfere with my education" -Mark Twain

Comment

Personally, I think whoever the techwriter on this project was should have written a paragraph on removing the handles for table use.

The plugs, on first observation appear to be shallow caps, simply by the fact that they incorporate a lift point in their design (that little keyway like notch on their edge). If that was their intention, then perhaps I was doing something wrong, but I don't think so.

Bottom line was that some basic instruction should have been written. However, it certainly isn't an uncommon practice for writers to only cover the basics.

CWS
        Last edited by CWSmith; 06-13-2008, 07:39 PM.

Comment

Working...
        X