Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mitre saw problem

Hello to all on the forum!

I have a problem my P Pro Slide Compound Mitre Saw. It was working fine one minute and then, quite suddenly started splintering my picture frame mouldings and on one occasion (this was when I switched it off until I got advice) threw the moulding that I was cutting towards me narrowly missing my eyes! It also damaged the opening which the circular blade finishes the mitre cut.

I bought the machine 4 years ago and so the 3 year warranty has run out, however, I have only used the machine for 6 months out of the 4 years as it was in storeage due to my living abroad so I find it hard to believe that it needs a service or a new blade as has been suggested to me.

I am an artist and I make my own frames with this saw and I need it urgently to frame a commission painting.

Do you have any idea's?

Thank you in anticipation.

Barbara

Re: Mitre saw problem

Could be you need to replace the blade or at least get the original OEM one sharpened. One other area to check would be the saws alignment.
    Teach your kids about taxes..........eat 30 percent of their ice cream.

Comment

I would start by going through the manual and checking all the adjustments, pay particular attention to bevel and miter locks.
      What kind of blade do you have? It should have a negative hook angle on the teeth to prevent the problem you are having.
      No disrespect intended but did you perhaps install the blade backwards?

Comment

Many thanks to both of you for your advice. I will act on it and let you know.

Barbara

Comment

Just curious, when you make your cuts, in what direction are you sliding the saw? With a sliding miter saw you should always start with the saw fully extended towards you. You push the saw in towards the fence to make the cut. That way the workpiece is pushed firmly against the fence by the blade rotation. Reason I ask is you say the workpiece flew towards you. It can happen that small pieces can catch on the blade and be shot away at high speed but the blade spin will usually cause them to fly away from you. Are you by any chance pulling the saw towards you during the cut? Also check the blade to make sure it has no wobble or damaged teeth. Maybe the blade has suffered damage at some point making it unsafe to use.

Comment

Thanks Velosapian, I haven't yet had time to look more closely at the saw but I am certainly going to act on all suggestions before I do.

Barbara

Comment

You say you damaged the piece where the blade finishes the cut? This indicates to me that something is out of alignment. It also seems to indicate that some of the teeth on the blade are probably damaged. Check that the blade alignment is properly set, the blade is installed in the correct direction (I've had that problem before...it happens), and that the fences are set properly. Just in case, check the tubes the saw slides on and make sure there's nothing on them. Run the saw back and forth on the tubes and make sure there's no bumps or tough spots.

Depending on what kind of material you are cutting, a blade (especially OEM blades that come with the tools) can wear out quickly. Before you curse the saw, check all the items and try a new blade. As wbrooks recommends, get a negative hook angle blade for the miter saw. If you're satisfied all is well with the saw, try some sample cuts with a longer piece you can hold on to. Use whatever clamp/safety assemblies are available for the saw, and put on your eye protection. You do have eye protection, right???
              I put it all back together better than before. There\'s lots of leftover parts.

Comment

Thanks Vasandy!

I have now corrected the problem. However, I'm not completely sure how I corrected it!!

I just went through the manual as suggested and checked everything was OK. I'm inclined to think that it was the tilt lock which was loose when I don't think that it should have been unless I was doing a tilted mitre cut (I'm sure that there is another term for this but you know what I mean), anyway, this seemed to be the only suspect that could have caused it, being loose I mean.

Yes, I ALWAYS wear safety specs now!!!!!

Many thanks to all

Barbara

Comment

Working...
                X