Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ridgid Reciprocating Saw - Is this a good tool?

Home Depot has a special - Ridgid Heavy Duty Reciprocating Saw, Model R3000S - $49.

Is this a good quality tool for a homeowner? The price is good, but I do not want to pay for something that is going to fall apart in a year or two.

Features:

- adjustable / pivoting shoe
    - die cast gear housing
    - 9 amp motor
    - variable speed
    - 12' all rubber coard
    - lighted plug
    - tool-free blade change
    - front and rear rubber grip areas

thanks

Re: Ridgid Reciprocating Saw - Is this a good tool?

Originally posted by jdbs3 View Post
    Home Depot has a special - Ridgid Heavy Duty Reciprocating Saw, Model R3000S - $49.

Is this a good quality tool for a homeowner? The price is good, but I do not want to pay for something that is going to fall apart in a year or two.

Features:

- adjustable / pivoting shoe
    - die cast gear housing
    - 9 amp motor
    - variable speed
    - 12' all rubber coard
    - lighted plug
    - tool-free blade change
    - front and rear rubber grip areas

thanks

my tool free blade change broke within 6 months it wasnt worth the aggrevation of getting it fixed personally id save up and get a milwaukee, of all the ridgid tools I own this is the only one i was not happy with!

Comment

ugh best sawzall ever is the makita AVT, home dumbo has it pretty cheap now and then

Comment

If you are serious about getting a sawzall go with the Milwaukeee sawzall. The best on the market. There blade change system is very unique. The only saw out their where the blade will not come out no matter how much it binds in the material. They have a detachable power cord which is a great feature. I could go on and on about this tool. We use them on our jobs all the time.
        Free power tool website with free woodworking plans

http://www.professional-power-tool-guide.com

Comment

I agree that Milwaukee makes one great sawsall, had mine for twenty years and sold it still working fine. I have the Ridgid 18volt that came with my combo kit and I think it's just great. I cut through some 1/2" threaded rods, nail embedded window frames and no need to drag a cord! Point is as a homeowner unless you are doing major remodeling your tools will never see the kind of use and abuse that the Pros put their through. Regardng your $49.00 Ridgid I like your attitude of not throwing good money to bad, but unless it is defective it sounds like a decent tool. Let us know what you decide, good luck.

Comment

In my opinion, there's absolutely nothing wrong with the Ridgid R3000. I've had mine for a couple of years and it's a great tool. I've cut through old walls, lumber with nails, and even used it in the yard for taking out some old, very hard apple branches (6-inch thick and hard as nails). I have read a couple of comments regarding the blade release, but I have not had any problem with mine.

Of course, the Milwaukee is very popular and I have no doubt that it is the choice of professionals. The Milwaukee also has some great features and is certainly a better design, feature wise, than the Ridgid. But even at the $89 retail price that I paid, I have no misgivings about my Ridgid R3000. Certainly at $49, you shouldn't regret it; especially for homeowner use.

Also, you can't overlook the 90-day Satisfaction guarantee, 3-year warranty, and with registration a Limited Lifetime Service Agreement.

Bottom line, it's easy to spend somebody else's money; AND, I know we all want the very best tool on the market. If you don't mind the extra expense, get the Milwaukee; but, you asked if the Ridgid was a good tool for a "homeowner": IMHO, the Ridgid is a "professional" grade tool (albeit without the extra features of the Milwaukee) and at $49, it would be hard to pass up.

(One might note that Milwaukee is currently owned by TTI, the same company that makes the R3000. TTI uses the "Ridgid" brand name under a license agreement with Emerson Electric, Ridgid's parent company.)

CWS
            Last edited by CWSmith; 06-20-2008, 03:06 PM.

Comment

For that price, I want one for the nasty work I hate to make my Milwaukee take on. Unless there are missing parts, it's damaged or defective, it's a darn nice deal. For the home DIY type, I would go after it. Now if there are missing parts or it's a mess, then do yourself a favor and pass it by. Sometimes you can find great deals on Milwaukee or Porter-Cable. What you don't want to skimp on is getting some good blades. Depending on what you need to cut, the right blade really makes a huge difference.

Hint: If it seems to be fine, you buy it and later on want a real Milwaukee, you should be able to sell it for something as long as you keep it in nice condition. I can't see where this would become a big loss unless you end up having to replace parts or have it serviced. Try to see if you can run it at the store. I know that's asking a lot from Home Depot, but maybe they will let you give it a quick test.

Hint 2: Do you have $100 plus for a good one? If yes, then maybe look into a real Milwaukee Sawzall and be done with it. For the DIY the base model 6509 works pretty well and sometimes you can find specials on them where the dealer throws in some blades or such.

Question: Is this by any chance a new in the box one on a super sale deal?
              Last edited by Woussko; 06-20-2008, 05:03 PM.

Comment

I am pretty hard on my sawzalls and I bought the ridgid about a year ago and it is almost dead. the quick blade change was broken within a month and I found that with continuous use it ran very hot

Comment

I have used one and personally I would not buy it.

Save a little more money and get a nice tool that will last your lifetime, you deserve it.

Milwaukee is just a nice saw. Here is one you might be interested in.
                  http://www.toolup.com/milwaukee/6519-22.html
                  Anyone can tear a man down, few can build one up.

Comment

We have gone through 2 of the Ridgid and won't buy another one regardless of the price. We had the same issue with the blade release as well as one of them over heating. For a middle of the road recip the DeWalt 304 is pretty nice. I especially like the fact that you can turn the blade in all 4 directions. Makes it a little easier when cutting out window frames and studs.

Comment

Originally posted by Woussko View Post
                      For that price, I want one for the nasty work I hate to make my Milwaukee take on.

Question: Is this by any chance a new in the box one on a super sale deal?
                      My LOCAL HD has been clearing out new-in-box Ridgid 3000 for $49 for the past 2 weeks. I don't need one but its a LSA tool for demo work that will be better than any un-greased Harbor Freight POC.
                      ++++I really like my Ridgid cord/cordless tools and the only reason I even compared them with the HF tools in this post is because of the big markdown in price++++
                      Last edited by reConx; 06-20-2008, 11:18 PM. Reason: ridgid #1 value

Comment

The Ridgid is OK but the blade clamp, which I hate, is not much better than the 18v Ryobi I bought to have for a loner or use where if it breaks I do not care. [Ridgid came in an 8pc kit, I would never buy one if it was not in the kit]The blade is never tight, same basic bad design as the Ryobi. Even though they maybe made buy the same owner it is no "Sawzall", my Milwaukee is far better made and designed. Unless you want a throw away or want to have a loose blade all the time and eventually a broken clamp, buy the Milwaukee. Remember demo work is hard on a tool. Mine is over 10 years old, has a tool free clamp, antikick back feature and you can not kill that sawzall. I had a DeWalt corded that lasted all of one day cutting rebar when the shaft fractured, that is when I decide to buy the Milwaukee.

Comment

I have the R3001. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a tool-free adjustable blade guide. On the flip, I honestly don't know if ANY recip saws have one. I didn't seriously look at any others - $89 with a lifetime warranty - sign me up. I haven't had a single issue with mine and I have used the heck out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by simchamp View Post
                            I have the R3001. The only thing I don't like is that it doesn't have a tool-free adjustable blade guide. On the flip, I honestly don't know if ANY recip saws have one. I didn't seriously look at any others - $89 with a lifetime warranty - sign me up. I haven't had a single issue with mine and I have used the heck out of it.
                            Good to hear some positive experience on the Ridgid recip. FYI: My Dewalt, Makita, and Milwaukee recips have tool-free adjustable shoes (there may be others). The Ridgid max-select recip is tool-free shoe too. Its a nice feature but its not too hard to deal without it.

FYI: The Milwaukee Sawsall just got more affordable: $99 Model 6509-22 at HD. Kit consists of case,blades and 10 amps,
                            Last edited by reConx; 06-24-2008, 11:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by simchamp View Post
                              I am glad to see that you were sold on something that doesn't exist. It's not a lifetime warranty rather a service agreement which is offered for a reason.

Comment

Working...
                              X